What do you do?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Before I got back into school I had a pool service route in Dallas. Maintained about 40 pools a week, it payed the bills and payed for my first 3 years of college but wasn't exactly intellectually stimulating work. Last year we sold my route and I got a decent severance to get me through another semester. I also got paid last summer in Montana; it was $500 a week, plus travel expenses, plus lodging and a meal plan, so I came back to Texas with a decent amount of money. To top it off I get $2500 a semester from a Pell grant, another $2000 a semester towards tuition in the form of a STEM scholarship, and I started taking out subsidized loans last semester as well for another $5kish. I'll graduate with probably about $15k in debt, which is not that bad. Grad school I will be TA'ing to pay the bills and hopefully I will get some more grant money since aquatic invasive work is a hot topic these days and gets lots of money thrown at it.
Are you funded for your PhD or are you straight up paying for it?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I thought it was the right thing to do. She knows they can't offer me any more money and there is no where to go except her position, if it even exists any more once she retires. She has been my boss the entirety I've been with this company so she's going to get a reference call anyways so I'd rather not surprise her.

Most people probably wouldn't do what I did but I know it was the right thing to do rather then catch her off guard.
It's your call to make, I don't know your relationship between you and your boss. But I would lean towards looking out for yourself first. What does telling her get you? Once you have interviews and requests for references lined up, ask her permission to use her as one. Then at least you're farther down the road, however long that may be(weeks, months?). If she wants to fill your vacancy, she would do the smart thing and start looking immediately.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
Are you funded for your PhD or are you straight up paying for it?
It will be both. My school doesn't yet offer a tuition waiver for it's research focused grad students, but it's something they are looking into. I've been put on 2 grant proposals thus far which if they are accepted will be a small source of funding and like I said I will be a TA as well which pays enough to cover living expenses. I'm not starting my PhD until January and I will have a much better handle on the financials then. Right now I'm focused on tying up some loose ends here in TX before i head up to Montana in three weeks. But the most important thing right now is to have an advisor and lab that will agree to take me in and have a solid idea for research, all of which I have.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Regardless of age, having a clear path of what you want to do, and a means in which to get it done like you do, is a fantastic place to be. Grats, and hope it all goes well!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Getting a little bored with my job. Sucks because I just bought a house so I can't really take a pay cut or anything. I'd rather be writing code than fielding meetings and generating specs.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Getting a little bored with my job. Sucks because I just bought a house so I can't really take a pay cut or anything. I'd rather be writing code than fielding meetings and generating specs.
Start coding this board's dream MMO in your spare time.

Vinen

God is dead
Welcome to working at EMC. (I work at an EMC subsidiary)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Welcome to working at EMC. (I work at an EMC subsidiary)
I did my coop/internship in core firmware and it was coding all day every day. I sort of knew what I was signing up for as a solutions architect, but I thought it would be a lot more glorious.

Are you at Pivotal?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I did my coop/internship in core firmware and it was coding all day every day. I sort of knew what I was signing up for as a solutions architect, but I thought it would be a lot more glorious.

Are you at Pivotal?
You'll find as you move up that the businesspeople/meeting-takers/customer-facing folks end up making a lot more than the technical people at almost any company, with a few exceptions. The money is always in customer relationships and sales. People who can bring in business are what earn $$.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You'll find as you move up that the businesspeople/meeting-takers/customer-facing folks end up making a lot more than the technical people at almost any company, with a few exceptions. The money is always in customer relationships and sales. People who can bring in business are what earn $$.
I think you're right. The problem is my department is a bit strange and only sort of exists out of necessity. I was hired as Software Engineer I, but I do no software engineering - I'm not listed as solutions engineer or solutions architect or anything. I'm worried about moving up and I'm also worried if I try to change careers later and list Sr. Software Engineer on my resume with little coding experience I'll be screwed.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Gotcha.. we are providing a few solutions to VMware right now and whoever is the person in contact with us is a pain in the ass. Keeps asking us for stuff that is clearly laid out in the specs (sorry if it is you, haha).

Jx3

Riddle me this...
He lies, hes not sorry

Went to the school I'll be student teaching at. Met the Principal and teacher. Feeling really good about this now, teacher is cool as shit and knows what he's talking about. Our discussion ranged from politics, history, sociology and finance. He's also the school football coach so we somehow got to talking about fantasy football and I'm already signed up for the school fantasy football draft. So yeah, I'm super stoked about student teaching now.

Vinen

God is dead
Gotcha.. we are providing a few solutions to VMware right now and whoever is the person in contact with us is a pain in the ass. Keeps asking us for stuff that is clearly laid out in the specs (sorry if it is you, haha).
What VMware products are you working with? I rarely speak with people from EMC.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
He lies, hes not sorry

Went to the school I'll be student teaching at. Met the Principal and teacher. Feeling really good about this now, teacher is cool as shit and knows what he's talking about. Our discussion ranged from politics, history, sociology and finance. He's also the school football coach so we somehow got to talking about fantasy football and I'm already signed up for the school fantasy football draft. So yeah, I'm super stoked about student teaching now.
What grade/subject are you going to (hoping to?) be teaching? What made you want to get into teaching? I'm in education and I could get a solid job in the public school system in a heartbeat given my specialty (English as a second language; fuckload of foreigners in Maryland), but I just can't bring myself to deal with the animals that infest public schools nowadays, and the standardized test focus and bullshit bureaucracy.

My mom has been a public school teacher for 30+ years now, and I can't fathom anyone wanting to become a public school teacher after seeing what she has to put up with.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
What grade/subject are you going to (hoping to?) be teaching? What made you want to get into teaching? I'm in education and I could get a solid job in the public school system in a heartbeat given my specialty (English as a second language; fuckload of foreigners in Maryland), but I just can't bring myself to deal with the animals that infest public schools nowadays, and the standardized test focus and bullshit bureaucracy.

My mom has been a public school teacher for 30+ years now, and I can't fathom anyone wanting to become a public school teacher after seeing what she has to put up with.
I'm hoping for High School Social Studies. Civics preferably but I love history also . I picked up an English certification so I could teach english if I wanted. I'm hoping to get hired in Maryland or PA when I'm done since WV pays shit and is pretty low on the comfort index chart. I picked teacher for a variety of reasons. The main one is stability, anywhere I go I can find a job. Worst case scenario I can get on the sub list. I used to work printing for Quad Graphics, great job, great pay until the recession hit hard and I was laid off. That sucked hard. So idecided to go into teaching, I used to give presentation at trade school and public speaking has never been an issue for me. I've been a manager at every shitty job I've had and 90% of them I was dealing with kids and I don't mind it.

Weaponsfree_sl

shitlord

2 Trimesters as an English teacher for Sophomores and Seniors at a high school here. I never want to do it again.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
I work at VCE. We're a subsidiary of EMC/VMware/Cisco. Build out vBlocks that leverage parts from all 3 companies. Our department supports (VM/network provisioning, etc) if they sign up for that level of support in the initial contract.