What do you do?

Pyratec

Golden Knight of the Realm
The system here in Switzerland is pretty cool in regards to the trades. Everyone goes to school for 9 years, and then, based upon grades and desire, they either continue on to high school or they stop going to school and start apprenticing a trade. Going into the trades isn't looked down upon here I don't feel, it's just another viable path to learning the skills that allow one to earn a living. When people who choose the apprentice route are 18, they already have 3-4 years of experience in whatever their chosen field is.

The one downside is that's a pretty heavy choice to place upon the shoulders of a fourteen year old. I can't say for sure what I would have done if presented with that choice. Having not gone through the system myself I'm not sure what kind of guidance they are given at the time, quite a lot I hope! At any rate, the system seems to work pretty well here, the economy is functioning very well and unemployment among young adults age 15-24 is only 3.6%. In Italy, which shares a border with Switzerland, over 40% of the people in that age bracket are unemployed. Now I'm sure there are other factors involved in creating that disparity, but I think the school system here helps a lot to keep youth unemployment down.

I remember somebody posting a documentary regarding a school system that was very much like that Pyra. I'm not sure what nation it was from, but the system as shown in the documentary was very interesting and seemed to be a huge positive experience for the majority of involved students. Now that my kids are school aged I really wish the US had a system like this in place. The best we have here are magnet schools that can cost an arm and a leg if you don't get one of their lottery positions. The magnet schools themselves do place an emphasis on their specific specialty, but having done a bit of research it seems that you are in for a bit of a crap shoot when it comes to making sure that your child is able to attend a magnet with their specialty all the way through the end of high school. Unless of course you are prepared to move or can handle multi hour car rides to get your kids to school.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Well bros I got a new job doing IA stuff for the Army. I put in my notice, this contract I am on is going to shit anyway. They came in and cut pay across the board, some of my guys got 50% cuts, it is madness. They fired my PM of the past 7 years. Nothing good is happening. Except that I got this new job, and a great opportunity to really learn and if I play my cards right be very, very marketable in about a year, year and a half.

I am kind of torn over what to do now, though. I start the new job on Nov 6th. I am working nights, my last day at work was due to be Nov 4th but then I pushed that back to Oct 31st. But I really don't want to go back, at all. On a scale of douche to superdouche, how bad am I if I just use vacation days for the rest of the week and mail them my badge?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, so I would be losing out on some money.

On the other hand, I would have plenty of time to catch up on school work, adjust to a regular schedule (been doing shift work for 7 fucking years...) and maybe clean this goddamn house that has fallen apart since my wife started working. It is a tough call between that and a week of pay.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
What age ranges are you working with? Also, what approaches do you use? Is it mainly 12-steps/ Seven Challenges or are you using a different approach? Do you also have to deal with billing or do you have someone that does it for you?Are you mainly out-patient or do you work residential? I'm curious what methods are used in other countries.

Sadly, working with substance abuse this is very common. It's part of the process of working with addiction, and the best you can hope for is that at some point something you said sticks with them. Just make sure you are keeping yourself separated from your Clients and none of it is being brought home.
Forgot about this thread, so bit of a late response.

Age ranges 18+, children would fall under child services. Don't do direct therapy, other than listening / motivational interviews, etc. Might use things like AUDIT and the likes to discover things like drinking habits, but mostly about getting them to accept help, and keep them on it. Not conduct the therapy, but facilitate being able to get it. Then after that, focus on the process of grants and economics and help people to get jobs or if they were permanently damaged, disability pensions.

Direct control of money, from giving welfare benefits, social welfare/grants, payment of institutions, to keeping control over their bank accounts (can be voluntary or forced), paying bills, medication control, etc.

Not sure what is meant by "out patient" or "residential"? It falls under public health care. If you have a permanent residential address in my location with a registered/acknowledged drug / substance problem, you would fall under my care. If I got you a spot in an institution across the country for help, I would still be the tie to the public health care part. Can come to your house, to the institutions or my offices.

No longer work with people with substance problems, except a few that wanted me around as their counselor. Now I work with public health care for "normal" sick people.

@ the stuff I said earlier about cheques They don't really exist in Norway anymore. Salary from work, bills, money transfers, etc, all electronic. Regular bills are put on autogiros in your online bank, and more often than not bills are received by SMS texts or e-mail invoices in PDF files.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

On the other hand, I would have plenty of time to catch up on school work, adjust to a regular schedule (been doing shift work for 7 fucking years...) and maybe clean this goddamn house that has fallen apart since my wife started working. It is a tough call between that and a week of pay.
When I got my new job I put in 3 weeks notice. First two weeks I worked my ass off to finish my projects and make sure whoever they hired to replace me would be in good shape, mostly because I really liked my boss and knew she would be by herself for awhile (3 months later they finally hired someone to replace me). The last week I just fucked around and went to meetings but didn't do much else besides tie up loose ends and go to lunch with my friends.

Everyone was really shocked when I didn't take time between jobs but to be honest I felt like it was better this way.

And yeah vacation payout was nice. So stay at the job and take the vacation payout. Congrats and good luck!

Black_Death

Golden Knight of the Realm

Take the money and pay someone else to clean the house?

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
Finding a good maid or cleaning service is harder than you might think. At least it is out here because I've been looking for a couple months now. They're all late/steal shit/do a terrible job for the price.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Finding a good maid or cleaning service is harder than you might think. At least it is out here because I've been looking for a couple months now. They're all late/steal shit/do a terrible job for the price.
In LA? Would think there would be lots of super serious cleaning services there due to the amount of rich people/celebrities that value their privacy and security. If there isn't I'd start my own business immediately.

Jilariz_sl

shitlord

Ask your 100 year old deathbed self if you regret working when you could have been living.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
I was offered a long term sub position teaching 8th grade English starting in January. Apparently in WV if you're already certified to teach secondary (middle/high school) you can just take the content area test and you'll be certified to teach that subject also. So if the spot is still open next school year I may just take it permanently. Feels good bros.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Is that a salaried position? My wife finished her art education degree but never did her certification. Wonder if I could use something like that to motivate her.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Long term sub spot (WV) is $135 a day for the first 30 days and then regular teacher salary after that. Which after adding it up and taking out taxes it equals the same thing anyways except no benefits. At this point I'll teach anything anywhere. Fuck the Walmart life.

Vinen

God is dead
Long term sub spot (WV) is $135 a day for the first 30 days and then regular teacher salary after that. Which after adding it up and taking out taxes it equals the same thing anyways except no benefits. At this point I'll teach anything anywhere. Fuck the Walmart life.
How is your wife-sister doing? Being in WV and all.

17/hr (8 hr base, which is low most likely?) seems decent for an entry position. How good is the union?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Is there something barring you from a true full-time teaching job? I mean, is this a stepping stone to your career or is this the desired path?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Full-time teaching jobs are hard to come by in some locales. You basically have to wait for someone to retire.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I resigned today without having a sure thing lined up. Totally deranged and ignorant but it felt so good i couldn't resist
Found a new gig that pays 75 (as opposed to 55 before) and agreed to let me take unpaid leave when its convenient. So i ended up not starving to death, which is good. But I do have a 30 minute commute now which sucks.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Is there something barring you from a true full-time teaching job? I mean, is this a stepping stone to your career or is this the desired path?
Where I'm coming in the middle of the year plus I'm certified Social Studies and not english. Once the new school year starts and I pass the english cert test I can get hired in full time. It's an easy way for the principal to find out if I "mesh" with the staff.