What feature(s) or circumstance would persuade you to install a brain implant?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Are you optimistic or pessimistic about a future that involves brain implant/neuralink tech?

• Total voters

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So for those of you that said you would never do it. What about if you became paralyzed, blind or deaf and the implant could give you those abilities back?

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
So for those of you that said you would never do it. What about if you became paralyzed, blind or deaf and the implant could give you those abilities back?
That's slightly different. What we were discussing seems mostly about using brain implants to augment stuff.

Things like artificial retinas, anti-epilepsy systems, or memory enhancers against Alzheimer/dementia are an entirely different category. And usually pretty much a "hell yeah" thing (barring the existence of biological repairs).

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
This is a good challenge. I suspect most of us, if faced with that situation, would do it.

Everyone who does will regret it in the end, and wish they'd stayed blind, but I admit this situation would make it really hard to resist.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
That's actually the first things that Neuralink is targeting. Trying to fix that sort of thing.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
For those of you that live in areas with large Hispanic communities - Would you get a brain implant if it allowed you to control the volume of your neighbor's backyard music at every quinceanera?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
That's slightly different. What we were discussing seems mostly about using brain implants to augment stuff.

Things like artificial retinas, anti-epilepsy systems, or memory enhancers against Alzheimer/dementia are an entirely different category. And usually pretty much a "hell yeah" thing (barring the existence of biological repairs).
What happens when implants become commonplace that those without are similar to disabled people today?

Xerge

<Donor>
I'm hoping for the reverse. Figure out how to upload me to a cloud. Obvious Sci fi shows show where that could go wrong. But id love to be an immortal digital entity where I "work" doing like digital data entry/it whatever half the time, then the rest of the time peruse the media of the world.

Lol then get hate crimed on the telephone with customers for being a ghost.
A digitally created afterlife.

...I'm in.