What games are made better by cheating?

Sinzar

Trakanon Raider
I agree with others that cheating in games like skyrim starts off harmless, but for me as well, turns into a slippery slope. It starts with weight limit console commands, then later it's stuff like well when I'm detected pickpocketing, I just reload anyway, so why not mod in 100% chance. Then later it's like well I can generate near infinite gold through smithing, so instead of going through the tedium of 20 mouseclicks a second, why not just edit in a bunch of gold. Etc etc, until all of a sudden the game is dull because all the challenge has gone away.

I will say though, the older console rpgs are made better by cheating in infinite money from the start. Shops are limited by storyline progress, not available money, so all extra money does is let you avoid some random grinding outside the city for 30 minutes every now and then.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Warhammer/Warhammer 40K. Nothing quite like people just making shit up as you go along then accusing you of 'rules lawyering' when you question them measuring the start of a move from the front of a base and the end from the back of the same base.

The Master

Bronze Squire
I'm surprised how many people are cheating and then suddenly don't find a game challenging. Game design is essentially the art of inconveniencing someone in a way that is fun. Sometimes game designers throw in shit that is inconvenient but not fun. Cheating can just remove that aspect. If you remove the challenge that is fun at the same time, you may as well have not played the game. Just... don't remove the challenging parts that are fun. Or, if you do, reintroduce them or add additional restrictions to yourself. I love FFT but after you understand the mechanics the game is hardly challenging.... so I do the Single Character Class Challenge. I've completed all the ones that are completable and they were fucking hard. There is no in-game way of enforcing that challenge, I just do it to myself. Speed running is another big way a lot of people exploit cheats/glitches and it adds fun to the game.

Unrelated: There is a weekly LttP speed run race on Twitch. I found this out today and it is awesome.

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
Yeah actually I did that too after my first play through. Fuck scanning *beep,boop,boop,beep* sweet now I have 100 million of everything. That should be enough.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
My wife loves the Sims games. But the first thing she does when creating a new Sim / Family is give herself a million simoleons so she can buy the house and furnishings she wants.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
I don't know why, but I actually liked scanning in ME2. I beat ME2 a couple months ago and passed it off to my roomate. He fucking hated scanning, up until I told him to scan Uranus.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
Yeah, I have no idea how they thought anyone could beat Ikari Warriors legitimately. 3 lives wasn't even enough to get halfway through the first level. I do remember that the continue code would, sometimes, stop working, seemingly, randomly. Especially towards the end of a level.
I never played 1, but Ikari Warriors 2 the code was designed to stop working on the final boss. It was quite frustrating.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
I'm surprised how many people are cheating and then suddenly don't find a game challenging. Game design is essentially the art of inconveniencing someone in a way that is fun. Sometimes game designers throw in shit that is inconvenient but not fun. Cheating can just remove that aspect. If you remove the challenge that is fun at the same time, you may as well have not played the game. Just... don't remove the challenging parts that are fun. Or, if you do, reintroduce them or add additional restrictions to yourself. I love FFT but after you understand the mechanics the game is hardly challenging.... so I do the Single Character Class Challenge. I've completed all the ones that are completable and they were fucking hard. There is no in-game way of enforcing that challenge, I just do it to myself. Speed running is another big way a lot of people exploit cheats/glitches and it adds fun to the game.

Unrelated: There is a weekly LttP speed run race on Twitch. I found this out today and it is awesome.
See, it is thinking like this that has given us better games over the years. I completely agree with this. Sadly, the folks who made games like Ikari Warriors, Rush 'N Attack, and Contra ... back in the day... had no such notion.

Those games are (for an average human) impossible to beat, but are actually very deep and rich and fun to play. They made good games back then, they just didn't allow us to enjoy what they had made!

What if Hearthstone caused you to go all the way back to basic cards after every loss? Hardcore mode. You earn cards the regular way, but all those cards go poof if you lose even a single game. But what if there was a code, UUDDLRLRSS, that let you just keep all your cards, play the game, evolve and participate, and have fun playing it for hours on end?

I agree that designed difficulty is there for a reason, but sometimes, difficulty is just difficulty. It isn't always a good thing.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
I cheat occasionally after i do all i want to do in a game legitimately, to extend the life.

I've always been a much bigger modder. I would change game assets or memory edit games to create interesting/new challenges. Often I found for games I particularly enjoyed, I would change things to make them straight up harder.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
DA: Origins Skip the fucking fade.
ME2: Fuck probing for minerals

The Master

Bronze Squire
Final Fantasy 8. Never use "draw"

I may actually replay FF8 at some point in my life. This is a possibility I had never seriously considered before.

EDIT: And this is a really good example of something that was inconvenient, but not fun.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user
I agree with others that cheating in games like skyrim starts off harmless, but for me as well, turns into a slippery slope. It starts with weight limit console commands, then later it's stuff like well when I'm detected pickpocketing, I just reload anyway, so why not mod in 100% chance. Then later it's like well I can generate near infinite gold through smithing, so instead of going through the tedium of 20 mouseclicks a second, why not just edit in a bunch of gold. Etc etc, until all of a sudden the game is dull because all the challenge has gone away.

I will say though, the older console rpgs are made better by cheating in infinite money from the start. Shops are limited by storyline progress, not available money, so all extra money does is let you avoid some random grinding outside the city for 30 minutes every now and then.
Skyrim is a funny example because at some points you had to use the console to be able to finish certain quests that were bugged, ie teleporting an npc to you that got himself trapped somewhere and was unreachable etc
some of the bugged stuff got fixed with the unofficial Skyrim patches

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Daggerfall was so buggy they had to make a teleport cheat part of the game.

Those old SSI gold box games.. fuck playing them without using the built-in cheat to give you perfect stats.

Rift and several other MMOs - using autohotkey so hotkeys repeat if you hold the button down. Fuck smashing buttons every half second.