What IP would make a great MMO?

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
Harry Potter, where the low level area is at Hogwarts as a set of mini games and the high level area is a mix of open world and raid bosses, would be a licence to print money.

Would love a good steampunk MMO

Would love a good ancient Greece, or Rome MMO

Would love a good "Cowboys vs Indians" (magic vs tech) MMO

Would love a good cyberpunk (Neuromancer) MMO

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Mad Max. I want Auto Assault back! So much fun wrecking entire cities with your weaponized car. It was a shallow game, lots of stuff wrong with it, but I feel the post-apocalyptic, motorized theme has not been fully explored yet. Especially the Motorized part.

Wheel of time, could make it into a 3 Faction game a la DAoC, with Aes Sedai, Darkfriends/Forsaken and Children of the Light.

Game of Thrones, could make that into a 131-faction MMO.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Screenshotted>
Riddick Universe

MV5BMjMzMTU4OTY1OF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzY1NzMzMzE@._V1_UX477_CR0,0,477,268_AL_.jpg

Willow

960.jpg

Starship Troopers

starship-troopers-gif-4.gif

Mad Max

giphy.gif

Record of Lodoss War

tumblr_nxv8i9bgeW1tc1kmmo1_500.gif

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Curious what people think exists for a known IP that would make a great MMO? Something that would be familiar enough to engage people but not so familiar that the 'canon' people would flip out every time something changed even slightly..

Some of my ideas would be:
Ready Player One
Xanth
World of Darkness (tried, but CCP imploded)
Wheel of Time?

The emerging prevalence of a stylized 80s aesthetic leads me to a couple badass conclusions:

The Neverending Story
Masters of The Universe
Jim Henson universe - Dark Crystal/Labyrinth

Between Stranger Things and Thor: Ragnarok we are in the early stages of a major 80s cultural revival. If a company could get one of these IPs out in the next 5 years they'd make bank.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
There's no studio in existence today that can take a well-established IP (especially a literary one) and produce an MMO from it that's anything more than a pathetic cashgrab.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Quaid

Trump's Staff
There's no studio in existence today that can take a well-established IP (especially a literary one) and produce an MMO from it that's anything more than a pathetic cashgrab.

I bet CD Projekt Red could. Rockstar too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Archdruid Archeron

the Site Surgeon
<Granularity Engineer>
I thought of another for classic fantasy with a twist and rich IP: Melanie Rawn's sunrunner books, Dragon Prince and Dragon Star trilogies.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
I always thought Wheel of Time would make a good MMO as there is already a well fleshed out class system and various races with tons of lore to draw on.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Mad Max. I want Auto Assault back! So much fun wrecking entire cities with your weaponized car. It was a shallow game, lots of stuff wrong with it, but I feel the post-apocalyptic, motorized theme has not been fully explored yet. Especially the Motorized part.

Wheel of time, could make it into a 3 Faction game a la DAoC, with Aes Sedai, Darkfriends/Forsaken and Children of the Light.

Game of Thrones, could make that into a 131-faction MMO.

AA was such garbage quality though. I got one of the first tanks in the game. Problem was, it had such low tq it literally couldn't climb any grade. Went into a base in the middle of a valley and couldn't escape it. Had to abandon the tank.

Zog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Fallout is the only mmo I want to see.

Base building, harvesting resources for food, water and bullets, gun crafting etc.

Mutant, ghoul, bandit and brotherhood of steel quests, raids and PvP.

Strongholds to defend and conquer for easier trading and safety from the wastelands undesirables.

Play as a mutant, human, synth or ghoul.

My God...

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 7 users

Treesong

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I dunno, new MMO's all start to feel kinda samish once they have been through the balancing grinder
AA was such garbage quality though. I got one of the first tanks in the game. Problem was, it had such low tq it literally couldn't climb any grade. Went into a base in the middle of a valley and couldn't escape it. Had to abandon the tank.
Absolutely. After release, the vehicles needed a lot of work, but the game pretty much was abandoned by the devs right after. One thing I hated was how the car engines sounded, very anemic. I had a pretty rare racecar type chassis with a pretty badass engine but the thing sounded like a hairblower.

But I just loved how everything you shot at smashed to bits, with all the shiny loot flying around you. Oh, the abundance of loot. Unifinished, unbalanced, zero direction. I think it lasted a little over a year, I think no other MMO got the plug pulled so fast. Maybe Earth and Beyond. :)

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
The Deathgate Cycle books.

Solid series. Half the playerbase would be magic dance fighting though! The other half would be badass Tattooed warriors. But it would be neat to have a whole expansion to be to get out of the maze. You could enter it whenever you wanted, but you couldn't leave without finishing it!

The Magician series by Raymond E. Feist could also be a decent MMO world.

Reht

Molten Core Raider
The blue adept series by Piers Anthony, could be interesting if they could figure out a way to juxtapose the science and magic worlds without cheesing them too much. Deathgate cycle would be interesting: Labyrinth raids!