What is all this "gluten-free" shit?

MrBelding_sl

shitlord
So there's a lot of this "seitan" stuff in certain Asian foods, particularly Asia mock meats for "vegetarian" food. It's pretty much just purified gluten. Is this like kryptonite for people with gluten sensitivity?

Not trying to make light of people with the real disease, but just curious as I never hear about gluten sensitivity in Asia - you'd think people would be clutching their intestines all the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheat_gluten_(food)

Titan_Atlas

Deus Vult
<Banned>
This is like politics and religion nobody is going to see the others side.I will say a lot of people become vegetarians and later if they eat meat they get upset stomach and the shits.It's not proof meat was bad it's a change in the stomach enzymes that break down different foods. The more you limit your food choices the stupider you are really. Also off subject, fat people should have a special license plate and be required to park at the back of the parking lot. Seriously.

LadyVex_sl

shitlord
Whoever talked about freaking breeding people out of the gene pool with diseases like this, I want to subscribe to your newsletter.

I dated a guy whose sister was allergic to poultry. I was unaware you could even be allergic to it; I'd never heard of that before.

Fast forward to a year or so later when she had a kid, and bam. Kid is literally allergic to EVERYTHING. Has Celiacs, peanut allergy, all kinds of ridiculous stuff. They're at least nice about it; they bring their own food to restaurants for her if they know it would be difficult to get food, and just in general make sure she is taken care of so she's not a burden.

When I found out how the BF and his sister were raised, it made a lot more sense. Their parents never made them eat anything they didn't want to; so anything that was actually good for them or things that most old school parents make their kids eat was just totally ignored. And that's how the two of them were raised, and so on and so forth.

With the way new allergies keep cropping up, it's insanity. I cannot remember a single person back in elementary school who was allergic to peanuts in anyway that was life threatening. Now, a pretty decent % of kids are allergic to it. There has to be a correlation between shitty food trends or diet fads and more allergies popping up. Or maybe it's simply as someone else said; now that we have more information and whatnot about these things we can avoid it and people will live longer, passing their shitty genes on.

Anyways, yea it's a real thing but honestly the only people I've seen who need to follow gluten free to the letter are also allergic to a billion other things too. The people that I've seen who just choose to be gluten free I am almost certain are following a fad diet, OR, they simply feel better when not eating it. Whether that's legit science or just a state of mind thing, who knows.

Nostrovia_sl

shitlord
It's a lot like ADD/ADHD... it's self diagnosed and misdiagnosed mostly by hipsters. Except gluten intolerance and Celiac are actually a thing.

Loki_sl

shitlord
Whoever talked about freaking breeding people out of the gene pool with diseases like this, I want to subscribe to your newsletter.

I dated a guy whose sister was allergic to poultry. I was unaware you could even be allergic to it; I'd never heard of that before.

Fast forward to a year or so later when she had a kid, and bam. Kid is literally allergic to EVERYTHING. Has Celiacs, peanut allergy, all kinds of ridiculous stuff. They're at least nice about it; they bring their own food to restaurants for her if they know it would be difficult to get food, and just in general make sure she is taken care of so she's not a burden.

When I found out how the BF and his sister were raised, it made a lot more sense. Their parents never made them eat anything they didn't want to; so anything that was actually good for them or things that most old school parents make their kids eat was just totally ignored. And that's how the two of them were raised, and so on and so forth.

With the way new allergies keep cropping up, it's insanity. I cannot remember a single person back in elementary school who was allergic to peanuts in anyway that was life threatening. Now, a pretty decent % of kids are allergic to it. There has to be a correlation between shitty food trends or diet fads and more allergies popping up. Or maybe it's simply as someone else said; now that we have more information and whatnot about these things we can avoid it and people will live longer, passing their shitty genes on.

Anyways, yea it's a real thing but honestly the only people I've seen who need to follow gluten free to the letter are also allergic to a billion other things too. The people that I've seen who just choose to be gluten free I am almost certain are following a fad diet, OR, they simply feel better when not eating it. Whether that's legit science or just a state of mind thing, who knows.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hygiene_hypothesis

Doesn't fully explain the increased incidence of allergies/asthma, but there is some pretty compelling evidence behind the idea

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
I think this article has a reasonable summation of what is going on:http://www.marinhealthyliving.com/?p=869

Basically, wheat today is significantly different from the past. I played around with Paleo and felt significantly healthier, had more energy, etc. Nowadays I try to focus on eating lots of veggies and meat and try to keep bread, dairy, and crap (highly processed, super high sugar, etc) stuff to a minimum and feel pretty good.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Girlfriend has Celiac's disease. Seems a lot more common in the past couple years. Either a lot of people have gluten intolerance or it is being misdiagnosed.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I think this article has a reasonable summation of what is going on:http://www.marinhealthyliving.com/?p=869

Basically, wheat today is significantly different from the past. I played around with Paleo and felt significantly healthier, had more energy, etc. Nowadays I try to focus on eating lots of veggies and meat and try to keep bread, dairy, and crap (highly processed, super high sugar, etc) stuff to a minimum and feel pretty good.
You're an idiot man changing your diet to make yourself feel better? what the fuck? you stupid fucking asshole jesus christ.

You must be a dumb fucking hippy or hipster i mean trying to keep yourself healthy and feeling good? what the fuck?

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
People who get outraged over other people's diets are way bigger douches than the actual dieters

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Think people are outraged over the idiots who go off saying theyre on xyz diet for a completely idiotic and bullshit reason all the while talking about health benefits which are impossible to attain specifically from whatever diet they are on.

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
Think people are outraged over the idiots who go off saying theyre on xyz diet for a completely idiotic and bullshit reason all the while talking about health benefits which are impossible to attain specifically from whatever diet they are on.
Exactly. Bro-science coupled with smug self-assurance rustles, not what a person eats.

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
If people feel the need to constantly bring it up or explain why that makes them superior then that would get old fast, but I honestly don't know any. My experience is people offering food/snacks and getting offended when I decline and when I finally explain that I can't eat it without getting ill most people are nice and understand but occasionally there's the shit bag that thinks it's all BS and I'm just doing it for attention.

Fuck those people. Like I have nothing better to do than eat shitty versions of actual food that are a bitch to find and cost 3x as much.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Whenever someone says that they "feel better" or "have more energy" then they are full of shit. Go ask anyone randomly if they have more or less energy than they did the night before at this time and they would ask you WTF you are talking about. You're either healthy or you're not. If you think removing one type of food from your diet is going to give you some kind of super health or even make you hit your snooze button one less time in the morning then good for you but you are probably delusional. The placebo effect can be very powerful.