What is the Best first episode?

Caliane

BSG was really one 2 hour movie that was cut up into a miniseries to show across 3 nights, so I think that counts. And yes, it's the best.
yeah, do pilots like this count?

Stargate was the same thing.

Was on showtime, had full frontal nudity ffs. probably cost more then the entire rest of the season.

iannis

Musty Nester
Probably have to say Deadwood also.

I mean it's one of the first episodes that I can even remember, so I guess that puts it among the best. First episodes tend to be somewhat forgettable introductions. It did a great job at setting tone, pacing, characterization. It hit the ground running.

That's probably easier to do in a tightly defined genre like "western".

The only thing I really disliked about deadwood, and I disliked it a lot, was how they had to say cocksucker all the time. It's not the word, it's that there was no variation in the cursing. After about the 20th time it was said in the span of 3 minutes I'm wondering, "Did people in this town not say asshole, or shithead, or any other curse at all? Is this period cursing? Or is the writer trying to make some sort of stylistic point? Or did the censor get irritated that the word cocksucker was in the script a few times and they're trolling him?

It gets better as the first season goes on. Not only because you start to just ignore it, but they do it less often. There's probably 3 full minutes of nothing but "cocksucker" in that first episode if you counted it up.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
The pilot and the first episode of sherlock are slightly different. I enjoyed the pilot a lot more. Its shorter and faster paced.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
of my childhood, the pilot episodes i remember as holy shit awesome were from Battlestar Galactica, Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, The Incredible Hulk, The Greatest American Hero and Knight Rider. i dont remember seeing the pilot for Dukes of Hazard, but since i fucking loved that show i probably geeked out over that one too.
Slight derail but Princess Ardala(sp) was one hot space alien, I'd take her any day of the week over Col. Deering.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
wilma deering had the most beautiful eyes though. i loved seeing her in Silver Spoons too. princess ardala was just hot sex. hot hot dirty sex. probably brings in tigerman for a threesome.

Karloff_sl

shitlord
wilma deering had the most beautiful eyes though. i loved seeing her in Silver Spoons too. princess ardala was just hot sex. hot hot dirty sex. probably brings in tigerman for a threesome.
I saw Erin at Comic Con in San Diego a few years back and she still looked good but Princess was hot stuff, I'd pass on Tigerman though
smile.png
she had memorable guest spot in Magnum back in the day and it was almost going to be a back door to her own show but it never worked out.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i try not to see the present day pics of the hot chicks from my childhood, its usually depressing to see how badly they aged. glad erin is aging well. and you may pass on tigerman, but you may not have a choice if he wants to get busy with you. :/

Lowendtheory_sl

shitlord
Mad Men. First episode you see Don Draper Killing it at work and getting tons of pussy and just generally being The Man while living the bachelor life. Then at the very end he goes home to his wife and kids and you're like WTF.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Dexter had an amazing pilot, ditto for Beauty and the Beast and The A-Team. i think Voyagers had a pretty decent pilot so did The Tales of the Gold Monkey. though both those shows didnt do too well after that.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Mad Men. First episode you see Don Draper Killing it at work and getting tons of pussy and just generally being The Man while living the bachelor life. Then at the very end he goes home to his wife and kids and you're like WTF.
True words.

spronk

FPS noob
I'd say 1) lost 2) bsg 3) shield. For just another random show, Homeland had a pretty baller pilot, I think Morenna Bacall showed her glorious tits and the end was a big "whoah..."

south park also had a pretty baller "pilot", jesus vs santa as a christmas video card comissioned by george clooney I think? Holy fuck, that was like 18 years ago...

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Another vote for BBC Sherlock. Absolutely amazing start to an amazing show.