What is the Best first episode?

Thorpe

Lord Nagafen Raider
Twin Peaks.

Such a solid first season, shame the second season goes off the deep end.

BruuceWarduck_sl

shitlord
s1-lost-episode-1-jacks-eye.jpg

/thread

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Love Cowboy Bebop (my favourite show of all time) but i don't think the 1st episode is great imo.
I disagree - the pre-credit scene is all straight foreshadowing, then you get the amazing intro music, then a scene which sets up the entire premise: it's the future but it's a worn, gritty future instead of Star Trek. Spike is practicing martial arts, Jet is being the 'father', they're shown as bounty hunters and then the special beef bowl (without the beef) establishes them as down on their luck. And it goes from there, including the obligatory bittersweet ending.

It's pretty much a perfect first episode.

Get the fuck out of here weeaboo, that doesn't come close to qualifying.
It's your loss, not mine.

Cybsled

BSG, Farscape, GOT (I can't count how many non-book readers got grabbed by that ending).

Honestly Spartacus had a horrible 1st episode (so did ST:TNG), but they both grew into awesomeness eventually. Esp Spartacus.

"Words fall from his mouth like shit from ass!"

Needless

Toe Sucker
Was the first episode of GoT the one where daenerys busts out them titties?
Yeah i was sold from that point on

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
GoT
Dexter
Its always sunny was pretty great for a comedy

Recently decent pilots
Almost Human

Cant believe the votes for spartacus, even shows like Banshee has 10x better pilots

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
My entry will be... Wild Palms (am anticipation mini-serie from the '90s produced by Oliver Stone and with episodes directed by Kathryn Bigelow) because there is zero exposition, so you dive head first into a complex situation and you end up making diagrams to understand wtf just happened.
Just had to say, finished the pilot / first two episodes now and LOVED it. It is a carousel of early 90s to current TV stars. It fits, to me, in that Twin Peaks wheelhouse. The wife and I kept trying to think of anything recent that comes close and really couldn't. American Horror Story maybe? Not from a content perspective but a certain tone that exists within the story or universe.

Elissidel_sl

shitlord
Cant believe the votes for spartacus, even shows like Banshee has 10x better pilots
I think you misunderstood that part of the conversation. Someone asked the thread's question somewhat inversely, that is, what show had the worst 1st episode but turned out to be a great show? Thats where I first brought up Spartacus...and then promptly got called a big ole gay.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
The Shield. It's beautiful because it serves as a reminder of what Vic Mackey is capable of no matter how much you might end up liking him and because it resonates through the entire series right up until the end.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
The episode of Breaking Bad isn't that great.
Bullshit. The first season drug a little but the first episode was amazing. It set up the entire premise and made you want more. I watched it on a whim and immediately watched the other seven right away.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I don't remember the first episode of Breaking Bad. But there are several people I tried to get into the show, and the first episode wasn't hooking anyone. It's not until you force someone to watch 3-4 of them that they end up watching the rest in a marathon.

iannis

Musty Nester
For some people that 1st episode of BB was just great. I just don't see it personally, I really didn't care for the entire first season of BB. It was S2 that started to get better, S3 was actually pretty good, and then S4 came all over my face. But the first episode... personally I thought it was just weaksauce.

Most everyone did, I think. That first season is abbreviated.

But some people REALLY dig that first season. Which is good, I think, because if it had been up to me personally S3 and S4 wouldn't have ever happened. I woulda "meh"d the entire concept right out the door.

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
I think you misunderstood that part of the conversation. Someone asked the thread's question somewhat inversely, that is, what show had the worst 1st episode but turned out to be a great show? Thats where I first brought up Spartacus...and then promptly got called a big ole gay.
You are correct on the inverse to the OP's question. I think you can extend Spartacus to the first 3-5 episodes depending on opinions.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
You are correct on the inverse to the OP's question. I think you can extend Spartacus to the first 3-5 episodes depending on opinions.
For me it was once they did away with the "comic book" like effects. The cartoony looking blood, 300'esque environments, and overuse of slo-motion detracted from the story. Considering (I assume) that the whole first season was filmed at once, I'd be curious as to what made them change the style of the show mid season.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
For me it was once they did away with the "comic book" like effects. The cartoony looking blood, 300'esque environments, and overuse of slo-motion detracted from the story. Considering (I assume) that the whole first season was filmed at once, I'd be curious as to what made them change the style of the show mid season.
Agree 100% about Spartacus. I was laughing during the first episode but by the last episode, I was completely invested. I don't think a show has ever turned me around as much as that one did.

Caliane

I disagree - the pre-credit scene is all straight foreshadowing, then you get the amazing intro music, then a scene which sets up the entire premise: it's the future but it's a worn, gritty future instead of Star Trek. Spike is practicing martial arts, Jet is being the 'father', they're shown as bounty hunters and then the special beef bowl (without the beef) establishes them as down on their luck. And it goes from there, including the obligatory bittersweet ending.

It's pretty much a perfect first episode.

It's your loss, not mine.
yeah. honestly it was the best episode of the series.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
First episode of Heroes maybe wasn't great on it's own, but it did one of the best jobs ever of setting up a series so that I wasdefinitelygoing to watch more. They did a good of setting up the show as a must-watch, especially the end of the episode with Hiro teleporting to Times Square.
then it fulfilled its purpose surely?