What is your education level?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I stick to producing recordings of Indie Rock now, and conducting tends to be orchestral with choir. I'm doing Bach's B Minor next week. It's hella fun.
Sounds rad. I'm jealous of all my friends who have managed to make a living out of music. Except for the them being broke and me having money to travel and do whatever part.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
B.S in Computer Science, hated every minute of it. Went into the print industry instead, much happier.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Some college.

Towards the end of my first year I realized my major lead somewhere I wasn't actually interested in going very, very soon after you advanced beyond entry level. Started taking my electives and my science/math required courses around then. Had to drop chem because retards in my group tanked my grade on every single thing done in the lab. I couldn't do it all myself in the time allotted. Ran into a history professor in a Gordon Rule elective taught from two books I grew up reading for pleasure. He had... questionable knowledge of the material and assigned bullshit make-work papers. Got sick of sitting in class with a "The fuck?" expression and dropped. Took it again the next semester. I gritted my teeth and did his bullshit papers. Got a 6X, a 4X, and a fucking 0 on the first three IIRC. Had another prof look at them and he had no idea why I received those grades. Was too late to drop so I just stopped going and took an F in the class. Said fuck it and left college after that semester. I was just completely disillusioned and spent my nights chasing world firsts and getting shitfaced at parties. Part of that was immaturity and not knowing how to deal with someone like that. He was a prick and had no business teaching that class but I was the one who made waves and myself a target.

Anyway, I guess it was about 6-9 months later that I was brutally mugged and left for dead unconscious beside the road. I've got no memory of most of that period until about six months after the mugging. I don't know if I was close to figuring out what I wanted to do about my degree, if anything. Pretty irrelevant either way. It was well over a year after the mugging before I was recovered enough mentally to leave my parents place without a chaperon. Even then my PTSD was really fucking bad and I can remember at least three times where I stopped myself half way through throwing a punch at someone who surprised me at night. Even ten years later fight or fight kicks in if I'm startled in a poorly lit area. I just quickly distance myself instead of trying to encave their skull immediately. Once I could I had to work to support myself and that was all I could handle doing for a long while. Since then every time I've had both the means and ability to go back something went to shit shortly after I started making plans to. I've got brain damage and get very stressed, very quickly. There's only so much I can handle doing and 40 hours plus school is unfortunately not something I could with any degree of success.

I'm at the point now where I really wanted to go back and I easily could. However I've got an opportunity to jump into a position that's not quite "a trade" but usually requires a number of years as a tradesman to obtain. Hooray nepotism! Excellent pay, quick advancement($38k to start, $60-70k within two years, $100k+ in five to ten depending on what you advance into), and excellent benefits including personal use of a take home company vehicle. So I'll see how I like it. College is always going to be there and this opportunity won't be is how I look at it.

If I had the chance to do it all over again I'd probably have gone into a trade like carpentry/masonry with the intention of eventually doing personalized custom projects. I really enjoy the process of idea->design->create. If I'm ever rich and old they'll find my corpse in the wood shop surrounded by a shit ton of bad ass carpentry projects I'd never be willing to sell.