What Made EQ Great? Tell your stories to a filthy casual

Itzena_sl

shitlord
EQ was successful because it was the first fully-3D traditional fantasy diku-clone.
That's it. That's the big secret.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yes, on a very broad level that's true. EQ is extremely nostalgic because it was the first 3D MMO and it opened up a lot of people's eyes toward what was possible. The added benefit of being the first is that people had no understanding about how to datamine it, etc., so there was a lot of forced mystery and ambiguity about the game. It's something that I'm not sure can ever be recreated, but I'm hoping that EQN is really as random as advertised and impossible to create sites like WowHead from.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Yes, on a very broad level that's true. EQ is extremely nostalgic because it was the first 3D MMO and it opened up a lot of people's eyes toward what was possible. The added benefit of being the first is that people had no understanding about how to datamine it, etc., so there was a lot of forced mystery and ambiguity about the game. It's something that I'm not sure can ever be recreated, but I'm hoping that EQN is really as random as advertised and impossible to create sites like WowHead from.
Wait... Weren't Thottbot, Lucy, and Magelo out in like... Kunark? Veloius at the latest...

Lenas

Trump's Staff
They were, but it wasn't like today where every single player in WoW knows exactly where to get info. It was also compounded by the fact that running EQ in a window was a bannable offense for a very long time.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
those early EQ sites had so much misinformation on them. going back and reading some of the theories on how to get XX to spawn or how to solve XX quest is pretty hilarious.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
EQ'lizer or some variation. Man I had pages of items printed. Blood stained pauldrons, ILU.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
EQAnswers existed for a while, too. Was my go-to for a while but still 75% unreliable.

roger_sl

shitlord
EverLore, EQStratics and the other one I forget were live at launch orverysoon afterwards.
Shemale please! precise at least allakhazam or even safehouse , or else you might get owned again like back in the eqvault vz days, and you cannot run to the trannys for help here.

Hasto_sl

shitlord
-the trains in KC
-quad kiting for the first time
-trying to trade in EC tunn's pre-bazaar
-logging in to find out your kid brother/son/daughter/whatever had been on your character and died somewhere not telling you and your corpse has rotted.
-throwing a yak/fungi/other twink item onto your friends new toon and letting them run around with thorns to PL
-bazaar starting up and everyone having to look at the ground to reduce lag
-community in general.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Wait... Weren't Thottbot, Lucy, and Magelo out in like... Kunark? Veloius at the latest...
Back in Vanilla EQ, there was EQLizer. It was kind of like the MMO-Champion of yesteryear. They would post new items that were recently found, but a lot of the posters would not report WHERE they discovered the item. It was all a big mystery. It kept them being able to farm an item, especially after showing the world its stats.

EQLizer was about as good as it got, back then.

Itlan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Some of the things I enjoyed doing were:

Farming Aqua Goblins in Butcherblock by the water where the Druids and Wizzies used to quad kite. Had like 1000pp by the time I was level 18 and bought a Stein of Moggok. Holy shit shit did I feel like a champ. I might've bought a FBR too, or a Robe of the Oracle. One of those.
Farming Geonids in Crystal Caverns all the way in the fucking back of the zone. Having to traverse that place at level 40 or whatever was a real bitch without invis.
Soloing those fuckers in High Keep around level 48, can't remember the names, but holy shit did I have to fight off people all the god damn time to keep leveling.
Controlling Bastion of Thunder. Basically any named was mine, and anyone who dared to disrespect me was going to be trained, and god damn was I good at training in BoT. Probably my favorite zone for farming elemental patterns.
Entering PoTime for the first time and winning an Ethereal Destroyer, Shinai of the Ancients, and like 4 slot pieces on the first raid. Don't think I ever raided again because I started high school the next week lol.

As for the stupid drama on Drinal, one incident that involved myself was a level 20-40 PvP tournament happening in Freeport. I was a 65 mage at the time and just came in and AoE'd the entire place down and killed everyone. It took about an hour for them to get enough 65 friends to come kill me, meanwhile they just kept dying repeatedly for about an hour.

The best drama I know of on Drinal is the leader of Cats in Hats, can't remember his name but he was a Wizard... basically the dude was a cripple, held a massive party for the guild, and apparently ended up banging (idk how?) one of the guildmates, which forced him to divorce his wife, transfer their characters to a new server, and move away with this new woman. There was always drama with Cats in Hats, though, especially when Defy was involved. Once he finally quit the guild, things subsided a little bit until this dude fucked his guildmate lol.

Always seemed like a nice dude, used to invite me to groups in PoEarth and PoFire and grind out AAs like fucking mad.

Also, I'm pretty sure I scammed people into buying accounts and stealing them back. Is that a felony? I was like 12 years old, I feel really bad now. I'm talking hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
What made EQ great?

When you logged on you instantly received hails from guild mates with requests to either group or replace someone. In addition to your guild, you had 2-3 tells also asking if you were busy. When you decided just who you were going to group with you began your journey and spoke to guild mates, people in ooc, and possibly the people you passed by on your way. You also probably helped a newbie and answered questions from an aspiring player of your class. You finally get a group and ended up talking and laughing as much as you fought. Then there was raid nights which was the measure of your guild. You had fun doing all the aforementioned things but, raiding is where you really grew. You fought, became frustrated, devised plans and strats. Successful or not, you knew you would be back or take on the next target.

strongest memories off the top of my head:

-winning an fbss in a /random one morning, joining another frenzied group winning another but having it stolen from me by the cleric from the morning group because "dude you cant win 2 in one day"

-tricking an Ascent guild wizard that I was an applicant and porting me to PoHate where I snuck up to Innoruuks room and grabbed my rogue epic piece and then leatherfoot cap'd out

-hunting Rygors

-being CoH'd into my first ToV raid right before a Vyemm attempt

-having a Bard named Hallertau ninja loot my Lodizal map piece

-looting a primal velium spear

-looting a Massive Heartwood Thorn

-looting a Khalshazar and a Bloodbath during the same Ssraeshza raid

-killing Emperor Ssraeshza

-Planes of Power trials

-going LD during Bertoxxulus and missing my decay flag

Tredge

Vyemm Raider
Real power curve and sense of accomplishment.

Name any game today where you can clearly stand ahead and not attain 95% of every other toon with minimal effort.
Incessant whining over time about fairness has resulted in a long string of changes by developers that have become standard in modern mmo's and seemingly forever pussified them beyond recovery.