What Made EQ Great? Tell your stories to a filthy casual

Cybsled

You could use the eye trick to split the 3 dragons in NToV as well (Elder Beads).

Drade

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hah, I doubt he knows who I am. If I remember correctly though, his wife was the guild leader of Gathered Might? Might be wrong on that. I just remember his name, because I always thought it was a cool name.

And you doubted I played EverQuest, rolx. Shame on you.

Edit: Also, I'm fairly certain that mkopec (who you quoted in your signature) also played on Solusek Ro.
My wife (at the time) was just an officer. The actual guild leader was absent most of the time.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
I faked having migraines in the 7th grade so I could stay home for 6 months to play EverQuest.

Teekey

Mr. Poopybutthole
I faked having migraines in the 7th grade so I could stay home for 6 months to play EverQuest.
I remember faking being sick so I could stay home to camp Trakanon for like 18 hours for my Singing Short Sword.

Then I just started ditching a lot of school until I was homeschooled and got a job at a PC Cafe. Then I was basically paid to EverQuest all day long. Best High School job ever.

My wife (at the time) was just an officer. The actual guild leader was absent most of the time.
Yeah, I figured out I was mixing you up with someone else.

I was an idiot and didn't save very many screenshots back in the day. Only have a few that I happened to email.

Did find this one though!

rrr_img_41489.jpg

Jais

Trakanon Raider
I was a rogue on Rodcet Nife which was pretty much the best server to be a rogue on cause we had a fucking awesome community of rogues on the server/Safehouse. I'll always remember the time Glip and I lured people into the locked back room of the nfp bank with dropped coin and then shutting the door behind them. I swear we had like 4-6 people in there at one point before the GMs showed up.

Edit. Now that I'm thinking about it, Glip's dad was Keith Parkinson and I hung out at their booth at the 2001(?) Fan Faire in Orlando and was way too polite to accept a copy of whatever picture of his I wanted, signed by him. Sure wish I'd taken him up on it now. Also got to hang out at the after party (!!!) and drink Red Bull and vodkas with Butler and everyone else when I was in 10th grade.

Dyvim

Bronze Knight of the Realm
SolRo drama was the best drama hands down, iirc that theeuroslayer bitch never completed the list and was just standing in bazaar all day/night.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
hey look, the other, barely-older EQ nostalgia thread just got bumped

lets merge this one into that one

Helldiver

SolRo drama was the best drama hands down, iirc that theeuroslayer bitch never completed the list and was just standing in bazaar all day/night.
Thank god I missed most of it, although my friends would tell me about it. For some strange reason I had disdain for dedicated raiders, I don't know why at the time. Usually it had to do with a lot of them turning into complete assholes mid raid.

Early on in my career, I got black listed by two guilds (I think one eventually went on to Ayanoe Ro) because supposedly they were counting on me to help with a CR in Hate. I was poor, and either there was a misunderstanding, or it wasn't made clear that I couldn't afford the gems to do all the teleporting. I think I did have the plat, but I just didn't trust the other guild doing the CR since I didn't know enough of them. I'd also been stiffed before and I didn't have a good relationship with the dude that was my contact.

If I recall during this time the only way to Hate was through wizard spells (although I thought there was a way through Neriak or was that just rumor?). Not a lot of wizards were of the level to have the spell, I think I was third or fourth to 50 on Sol Ro before I quit until shortly before RoK came out. Anyway midway through the CR I left and didn't head back down. I don't recall why CRs during this time period were so difficult. Did they change SKs or something? I could swear that SKs didn't have the corpse summoning abilities they had later on or something, CRs were like a Necro domain pretty much.

Anyways so I get yelled at in whisper and I pretty much quit for like a week. I seriously had no clue the gravity of the issue until now to be honest. I didn't know I was pretty much the only wizard around of that level that was on (I think they got on the horn and got one of their wizards before corpses started rotting).

Then again I used to do all sort of assholish behavior, like leaving group and then hitting evac mid bad pull, or giving people a hard time during a raid when they started acting snobbish. I hated female druids, don't know why. You were a female druid and I'd do everything in my power to get you killed.

Dyvim

Yes afaik wiz spell was the ony way to get your group to hate - ever.
And SKs didnt do yak shit to crs back then, heck the spell to summon corpse was added later in vanilla to necros only, before that you had to rely on a monk or rogue to drag your corpse (with stealth being broken and more often not working as intended) or wait on a gm/guide to summon your corpse from lets say a unreachable lavapond.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thank god I missed most of it, although my friends would tell me about it. For some strange reason I had disdain for dedicated raiders, I don't know why at the time. Usually it had to do with a lot of them turning into complete assholes mid raid.

Early on in my career, I got black listed by two guilds (I think one eventually went on to Ayanoe Ro) because supposedly they were counting on me to help with a CR in Hate. I was poor, and either there was a misunderstanding, or it wasn't made clear that I couldn't afford the gems to do all the teleporting. I think I did have the plat, but I just didn't trust the other guild doing the CR since I didn't know enough of them. I'd also been stiffed before and I didn't have a good relationship with the dude that was my contact.

If I recall during this time the only way to Hate was through wizard spells (although I thought there was a way through Neriak or was that just rumor?). Not a lot of wizards were of the level to have the spell, I think I was third or fourth to 50 on Sol Ro before I quit until shortly before RoK came out. Anyway midway through the CR I left and didn't head back down. I don't recall why CRs during this time period were so difficult. Did they change SKs or something? I could swear that SKs didn't have the corpse summoning abilities they had later on or something, CRs were like a Necro domain pretty much.

Anyways so I get yelled at in whisper and I pretty much quit for like a week. I seriously had no clue the gravity of the issue until now to be honest. I didn't know I was pretty much the only wizard around of that level that was on (I think they got on the horn and got one of their wizards before corpses started rotting).

Then again I used to do all sort of assholish behavior, like leaving group and then hitting evac mid bad pull, or giving people a hard time during a raid when they started acting snobbish. I hated female druids, don't know why. You were a female druid and I'd do everything in my power to get you killed.
This is a prime example of what is missing in all online games right now. A person's reputation should have an impact on what happens to them in the game. I have no problem with a person being a jerk as long as they realize that they will soon be playing the game alone or with other jerks who also can no longer get into a guild. I smiled when you said that you stopped playing for a week. Being an asshole should have that effect.

Fight

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Helldiver,

lol, I can't believe you took the time to type that shit out. Assholes were everywhere, but at least the assholes could be quelled if they realized something was in it for them. Helldiver, you have described yourself as the fuck-tarded, incompetent type. The kind of level 50 that makes you go, "How the fuck? Gotta be an Ebay bot". Sounds like you have about a 7 year old's understanding of human behavior and run-ins with you would probably leave people punching their monitors most of the time.

And, you definitely got inadequacy issues bro.

Cybsled

Or he was one of the classes that could solo kite mobs/Freeport guards to 50. Or in later expansions. The whole "u knew who wuz good person by level!!!1!" myth people in these threads try to perpetuate is a fucking joke.

Xeldar

Silver Squire
there was another guy who committed suicide from playing EQ after he gave his account info to a "friend" and they hacked his account and took all his stuff. i remember it made the national news and his mom was interviewed about it and everything.
I'm 98% sure he played Vallon Zek and he was a dark elf Wizard named Vlaad? Vlaat?. He died in Mistmoore, consented, and then got full looted. I was ksing a full darkie group at treants in SK with him via double wizard like a week before that shit happened.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
This is a prime example of what is missing in all online games right now. A person's reputation should have an impact on what happens to them in the game. I have no problem with a person being a jerk as long as they realize that they will soon be playing the game alone or with other jerks who also can no longer get into a guild. I smiled when you said that you stopped playing for a week. Being an asshole should have that effect.
Not sure why you think this is missing. I deny applications to my guild all of the time because I know the person is an idiot. Likewise they get booted if they prove themselves to be an idiot after the fact. If you mean the overall shit fest of having to rely on a person and being majorly fucked when they flake on you, then yeah I don't miss that at all.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
In the beginning I loved how hard it was, how it felt like an accomplishment to do anything. Just that sense of adventure and mystery.. it was frustrating as fuck at the time but when I accomplished things it was exciting. Later on when I got into a middle tier guild it was all about building a group of people to tackle the harder content in Velious. The peaks for me were taking out our first dragons in Velious before the whole thing fell apart and I ended up in a high end guild. I had a lot of fun being the raid leader though, there was a lot of excitement in getting people together to do things and actually accomplishing what we set out. My warrior epic weapon specifically the plane of air portion was crazy stressful but so worth it.

Once I got into the high end guild I learned most of the mechanics of the game and I realized how a lot of it was really trivial but being the only guild doing things in Velious was an amazing experience. By the time it was over it wasn't uncommon for me to be tanking on a raid and boxing 2-3 clerics. My time spent not raiding was probably the most fun. At this point nobody was doing velious (whatever the expansion was post that) content but they still dropped a lot of nice items, some of them droppable. So in my spare time I'd take a small group of my friends and we'd each box 2-3 key classes then we'd go off massacring old content to twink out our alts.. we started small with Dozekar and it just kept going up from there until we were killing the Statue of Rallos Zek regularly. At the end we were making millions of plat every week by either selling spots in our little raids or the droppable items. We eventually started getting to the point where our exclusive little clique of solid people (maybe 5 of us? 15-20 in the raid depending on how brazen we'd be about boxing) were competing against the 3rd tier guild for content. That was probably some of the better times I had in EQ, but eventually guildies started seeing how much money we were making and wanted in.. and it turned into a whole shit storm and I quit the game over it. I came back for a bit in POP but it was never really the same.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
Lol at Helldiver. To be fair, CR's (corpse recoveries) were not really "taken care of" by anyone. Necros did not have a corpse summon spell back then. The only reason necros tended to be involved is because most of the people who played them in the early days, were really fucking talented. And because they could feign death. But still, all that meant is that they would literally get consent from everyone on the raid, and drag the corpses one by one... back to the safe spot, dodging raid mobs on the way. They then still had to teleport up a cleric who then rezzed any other clerics and rebuild the raid from there. The teleport back would have been vital, there was no other way back to Hate, it required a level 46 spell and a spell component.

Imo, it was their fault for not being appreciative enough. If it was your guild then you owed it to them. But some other guild? Fuck that. It was their job to butter you up, either by paying you or offering you some loot or a place in their guild, or something... anything. And that should be in addition to kissing ass. That's how it works. If you wanted something you had to be nice about it otherwise, nope. But if you abandoned them prematurely then you sound like an ass, so whatever. But yeah, it was nice to have a game that was all about the people and not just the game mechanics. Nowadays everyone gets everything they want by just clicking things on their UI. You wanna go to a 'plane'? Just click LFG! and it auto joins you to a group and teleports you there. It's all meaningless shit now. Back in EQ, people knew people by name, even though there was 2500-3500 people on the server. I still met strangers, but for the most part I knew most people I came across and I knew that 95% of them were great people. And I also knew the 5% that weren't, either because they were pricks, or bad at the game, or both.

As it happens, the person I hated the most was in my guild, and my entire guild in fact were not very nice people. It was a large reason for my quitting. It was my own fault for joining my real life friends in that shitty guild to begin with, I should have just bailed early on, joined on of the few big uber raid guilds and just gone along for the ride through all the raid content in the game with relative ease. But I was young so.. that's my excuse.

As for what (else) makes this game great, I don't even know where to begin. It was mainly the way the combat worked, but I feel like it would be pointless me trying to explain because its hard to understand without seeing it, and I doubt anyone even reads this :p

Cybsled

Plane of Hate CRs were 1000000x easier than Plane of Fear Crs. Step 1) Port Monk up Step 2) Monk insta-FDs Step 3) Monk FD flops to the safe corner, dragging corpses all the way Step 4) Everyone sits in the boring ass corner until corpses are res'd, then monks pull all the trash to the boring ass corner Step 5) Boring ass hate trash clear for items until we can engage the vampire that drops some loot. Hell, all you needed was a monk if you had the vox res stick.

In most cases though, we just had everyone run to the safe corner and try to have a cleric camp out while everyone else got slaughtered. Kind of the same for PoF when you wanted to get people to the safe spot.