What Made EQ Great? Tell your stories to a filthy casual

Cybsled

Only time I used 3rd person in EQ1 was while feigned during pulls (as Fawe mentioned) or when I was bored as fuck during a fight like Vulak (ie, AFK for 20 minutes doing auto-attack).

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I had to use third person during raids in EQ because my computer sucked. I literally had to have the camera panned at a wall or the floor even with all spell effects turned off otherwise it was like a slideshow and I couldn't do that without 3rd person because I needed to have LOS on the tank so I could heal.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I had this problem sometimes and I would stare at a wall in 1st person view. I have no idea how 3rd person would help you, you would see more stuff in 3rd person.

Khane

I had this problem sometimes and I would stare at a wall in 1st person view. I have no idea how 3rd person would help you, you would see more stuff in 3rd person.
I already explained why it had to be third person. So I could rotate the camera towards the wall while my shaman was still facing the direction I needed to cast in.

At least, I'm pretty sure that's what I was doing. It's been almost 10 years at this point and I actually don't really remember if it was that I wanted to use 3rd but was forced to use 1st or the other way around. All I know is, I preferred a certain camera view but had to use a different one because of framerate issues.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
best camera view is F9 twice (for over the shoulder view), then zoom out and alt+up so that your feet are at a bit above the bottom of the screen
wink.png

its easy to loot corpses this way, just stand in so that the corpse is between your character and the camera

Jabberwhacky

Lord Nagafen Raider
I was a bard for most of my time and I almost never used third-person. Really I only did it to admire the Rocketeer-style Half Elf plate helm model and oogle all the sparklies bouncing out of me. Yea....I know how you know I'm gay.

Wasn't right clicking yourself in 3rd person the way to change your bio or something? I vaguely remember not using 3rd person because I would inevitably open a window I didn't want.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I just had a dream I logged on and died deep in some pop dungeon and couldn't find a rez because the only cleric was some no hablo European.

And I seriously thought everyone quit after pop, holy shit.

Khane

Did you even play Everquest? lol
I really honestly don't remember exactly what it was I had to at this point anymore, it was so long ago. All I know is my camera had to be panned at a wall or the ground otherwise I couldn't play and that it was a camera view I didn't want to use but had to.

Angelwatch

Trakanon Raider
I had a fairly decent computer at the time of EQ but even still I ran into FPS issues in large raids. I would always stare at the floor when healing on my cleric (after all I didn't need to see what was going on, I just needed to see health bars). Panning down to the floor would be like skip,skip, skip and then all of a sudden you would hit the point where the FPS went up and everything the camera would pan smoothly. Once you hit that invisible line, all the lag went away and everything ran fine.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I really honestly don't remember exactly what it was I had to at this point anymore, it was so long ago.
Understandable, I nearly forgot that you needed LOS to cast on a target. You didn't need to physically see them, though, which is what was confusing with your post. You just had to make sure no walls were between your character and the target, but you could look at a floor/wall and still heal just fine. Doors never counted as walls, they were invisible to mobs. There might have been some glitches where you could sit inside a wall and obtain LOS of your tank that might be on the other side, allowing you to heal him. I think that was a rare occurrence. Most raids with AoEs we would put all our healers/casters behind a wall and have people run to them for heals and/or the healers/casters could weave in & out of LoS between AoEs to get off their spells.

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I was a bard for most of my time and I almost never used third-person. Really I only did it to admire the Rocketeer-style Half Elf plate helm model and oogle all the sparklies bouncing out of me. Yea....I know how you know I'm gay.

Wasn't right clicking yourself in 3rd person the way to change your bio or something? I vaguely remember not using 3rd person because I would inevitably open a window I didn't want.
Agree. I used 3rd person later on in my career doing fancy pulls with fade memories on raids around corners, or in tandem with Necro / SK Feign pet pulls.

As far as stories go, I once got a blowjob during the 10th Ring War. (Sorry it was the first thing that came to mind, lol).

About two years ago I sold my monk for like...$700 I think.
I sold my bard in like 2008 for $1000. When I got the account back 2 or 3 years later from some Chinese plat farmer it had over $200mil pp on it.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
It was pretty amazing how common account transactions were early in the game's life. When I was a newbie I would befriend most people I grouped with and later on when I would send them tells it seemed like half the characters had new owners.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Never dealt with an account transaction but selling narandis crown and mithril boots for 1200 was boss at the age of 15.

Neno

Lord Nagafen Raider
One of my favorite parts of EverQuest was being able to do stupid shit like this.

hahaha.jpg

I think this was either back either during RoK or SoV so the poor bastard had to ride the boat back.