Poll What Size of Community Do You Live In?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

What size of community do you live in?

• Rural pop. 1-1,000

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Small Town pop. 1,001-10,000

Votes: 34 17.7%
  • Town pop. 10,001-25,000

Votes: 15 7.8%
  • Small City pop. 25,001-150,000

Votes: 47 24.5%
  • City pop. 150,001-500,000

Votes: 29 15.1%
  • Large City pop 500,001-1,000,000

Votes: 19 9.9%
  • Urban Metropolitan Hellscape 1,000,001+

Votes: 35 18.2%

• Total voters

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I chose small city but I may live in same the large urban hellscape as Quaid and Alex.

Our village is slowly creeping up to a population of 100. We might make it next year.

Next "town" of about 8k people is 10 minutes drive away, 30k people 20 minutes drive, 100k++ 30 minutes.

I like it where I am, no reason to leave. I know everyone. Everyone knows me. Everyone leaves everyone the fuck alone and minds their own business.

Nice try, Trebek, but your mother was certainly not minding her own business last night!

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Live in the 'burbs and it's how I like it. Here's my logic why:

City living is expensive, dangerous (crime-wise), and I'd be prone to becoming an alcoholic with so many bars in walking distance. Cities are where shit goes down should shit go down, and not in the good way. Parking is a bitch, and some people's solution to that is "well yeah man, once you live in the city, you don't need a car" Well how about no... I want to take a vacay sometime to the mountains or the beach etc. Noise pollution is a thing too. It's just so ugly, the concrete jungle.

Country living is too far removed from things. We're not wasps.. we're social creatures and I like being around others (yeah I know, crazy right? I actually like people!!!). If you're living out in the country, your chances of surviving a medical emergency is lessened due to response time. Plus, 30 minute drives to nearest Wal-Marts are not what I'd call "time well spent" in your life. Not to mention the bugs and creatures (large and small) and big swaths of land to maintain (underground yellowjacket nests? Lovely).

The 'burbs is just the best of both worlds. A happy medium if you will. I have trees and a creek right outside my window and hummingbirds, cardinals, and bluejays will all come and visit, but the nearest gas pump, gallon of milk, and EMT station are just a mile or two away.

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ridas

Pay to play forum
I live in Berlin. I like it a lot. I grew up in a small village with farmers, which was awsome as a child. But when I got older I started to preferred cities.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Small town here.

On a side note, seeing the vote categories gave me the urge to play a Sim City game.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Pleasanton should definitely be considered a part of the Bay Area urban hellscape. I live in downtown SF and can be in Pleasanton in less than an hour because the train system goes there. I work with 2-4 people who live there and commute to SF a couple times a week. The Bay Area hellscape definitely has a huge influence on that area. And wouldn't be what it is if it wasn't for that.

I voted the 1mil+ option although I think SF is more around 900k. It feels like it's over a million people, though. City is the right size for me. I really enjoy big city life.

Yeah people around Toronto do this too.

They can’t afford/tolerate living in the actual city so they buy a house in some beta-orbiter commuter outskirt like Milton or Ajax where they have by-laws against buildings higher than 6 stories, but they can tell people they live in the 'Greater Toronto Area' and take the GO Train to work.

Last edited:

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Now that its expanded to "what do you like about city vs suburbs etc"

Every city smells fucking terrible. Just not fit for humans to breathe. In NYC it was predominantly the smell of piss. In LA it was exhaust and garbage. Where I live, the air smells like air with an occasional whiff of tree.

Cities inherently promote the development of all kinds of fucked up subcultures. You get ghettos that bring all the corruption, cousin fucking, and filth of Tijuana to just a few blocks from your house. Or a whole street filled with LGBTQ bars celebrating every kind of depravity as a virtue. Or coffee shops full of biological males who have decided its somehow acceptable to wear womens' jeans in public. You don't get *any* of that shit in a small town.

Living in a city denies you basic features of life our parents and grandparents got to enjoy. Normal things, like a driveway with room to park your car in it. A patch of ground that you can use as a lawn, a garden, a xeric landscape or WTFever you want. An actual *house* instead of a rat warren called an apartment where you can literally hear your neighbor when he farts.

Every time I visit a city I twitch a little and am reminded of the decades I lived in these hellscapes. It is amazing what humans can get used to, and eventually Stockholm themselves into preferring.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

Ontario... looking at moving to a sleepy mountain town in BC deep in conservative country. If anyone had told me five years ago I'd be rushing to move away from a city to a small town to get away from liberals I would have laughed. The group think is so strong with the school system here that it's like talking to a wall. At least two other students decided they were trans after these lessons, so the school doesn't see this as the program possibly being confusing, oh no these young children are discovering themselves. We should celebrate their new identities! So now we're celebrating people getting gender dysphoria and making a debilitating mental condition into something to be rewarded for. The effect this is having on some kids is profound, as they now see very masculine girls and very feminine boys as having to not only identify as the opposite sex, but are actively encouraged and cheered on to do so.

It's like the perfect trap for children who don't fit in, they are immediately accepted, elevated in status and you become completely unquestionable. I had my doubts, that these things would play out this in actual class rooms, that it was hyperbolic but then I witnessed it happened to a friend. Maybe this is an exception, but the turmoil they're going through just wants me to get the fuck away from this asap.

• 3Like
  • 1Rustled

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Live in the 'burbs and it's how I like it. Here's my logic why:

City living is expensive, dangerous (crime-wise), and I'd be prone to becoming an alcoholic with so many bars in walking distance. Cities are where shit goes down should shit go down, and not in the good way. Parking is a bitch, and some people's solution to that is "well yeah man, once you live in the city, you don't need a car" Well how about no... I want to take a vacay sometime to the mountains or the beach etc. Noise pollution is a thing too. It's just so ugly, the concrete jungle.

Country living is too far removed from things. We're not wasps.. we're social creatures and I like being around others (yeah I know, crazy right? I actually like people!!!). If you're living out in the country, your chances of surviving a medical emergency is lessened due to response time. Plus, 30 minute drives to nearest Wal-Marts are not what I'd call "time well spent" in your life. Not to mention the bugs and creatures (large and small) and big swaths of land to maintain (underground yellowjacket nests? Lovely).

The 'burbs is just the best of both worlds. A happy medium if you will. I have trees and a creek right outside my window and hummingbirds, cardinals, and bluejays will all come and visit, but the nearest gas pump, gallon of milk, and EMT station are just a mile or two away.
I live 44 seconds away from a fire station full of paramedics in a rural area. They could walk to me before the ambulance bay door was even open.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
It is amazing what humans can get used to, and eventually Stockholm themselves into preferring.

Or maybe people are different and many of us humans actually enjoy big city life. I fucking love living in SF. I'm active in the music community and I live where it's all happening. Walking distance from at least four prime music venues. I have a 10 minute walking commute to work. Easy access to so many cultures (i.e. awesome food scene). 24 hour convenience and access to many commodities. Every fun city event where people have to think about parking or getting a hotel? Not a problem for me! All the sudden everyone is asking if they can stay at my place. I also travel a ton - for work and pleasure. Being a 30 minute drive from SFO is fantastic. When i think about people who might live in Wyoming and have to plan for a multi-hour drive just to GET to an airport? WTF!

Every time I think about moving and losing those benefits I decide it's not worth it.

And I'm in California so getting to nature is extremely easy. Just this past weekend I took a 30 min drive north of the city to be here:

20191129_121540.jpg

I love living here and don't have any plans of leaving soon.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity

whoo

<Silver Donator>
4 years ago I moved from the greater Atlanta metro area (4mm+ overall, 100k+ in my "suburb" town) to the country. Bought 60 acres and theres maybe 50 people in a 2 mile radius. I'm 30 miles from a city of about 200k people. Not much but farms in between. Its heaven.

I have a fire/ems station 4 miles away. Closest trauma center is 30ish miles. Closest grocery store/gas is 16 miles.

You learn to stock up on the basics so its not a big deal. The only thing I miss is restaurant delivery and a really good sushi place.

I don't miss:
  • a 30 minute drive to the grocery store thats 2 miles away from my old house because the traffic sucks. I could usually walk there faster.
  • Urban outdoorsmen
  • "hood" attitude everywhere
  • Lack of general friendliness
  • Rediculous property taxes
  • HOAs
  • Bernie /Obama /<your government Santa here> stickers on every Prius.
  • I could go on...

• 3Solidarity
  • 1Like

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Or maybe people are different and many of us humans actually enjoy big city life. I fucking love living in SF. I'm active in the music community and I live where it's all happening. Walking distance from at least four prime music venues. I have a 10 minute walking commute to work. Easy access to so many cultures (i.e. awesome food scene). 24 hour convenience and access to many commodities. Every fun city event where people have to think about parking or getting a hotel? Not a problem for me! All the sudden everyone is asking if they can stay at my place. I also travel a ton - for work and pleasure. Being a 30 minute drive from SFO is fantastic. When i think about people who might live in Wyoming and have to plan for a multi-hour drive just to GET to an airport? WTF!

Every time I think about moving and losing those benefits I decide it's not worth it.

And I'm in California so getting to nature is extremely easy. Just this past weekend I took a 30 min drive north of the city to be here:

View attachment 235949

I love living here and don't have any plans of leaving soon.
You're the type of person that I always assumed "fits" in the city, as opposed to a lot of other people that I think just haven't ever seen anything else before. I can't really make a compelling rural vs urban argument to someone that is passionate about stuff that only cities can offer.

4 years ago I moved from the greater Atlanta metro area (4mm+ overall, 100k+ in my "suburb" town) to the country. Bought 60 acres and theres maybe 50 people in a 2 mile radius. I'm 30 miles from a city of about 200k people. Not much but farms in between. Its heaven.

I have a fire/ems station 4 miles away. Closest trauma center is 30ish miles. Closest grocery store/gas is 16 miles.

You learn to stock up on the basics so its not a big deal. The only thing I miss is restaurant delivery and a really good sushi place.

I don't miss:
  • a 30 minute drive to the grocery store thats 2 miles away from my old house because the traffic sucks. I could usually walk there faster.
  • Urban outdoorsmen
  • "hood" attitude everywhere
  • Lack of general friendliness
  • Rediculous property taxes
  • HOAs
  • Bernie /Obama /<your government Santa here> stickers on every Prius.
  • I could go on...

Still in Georgia? Approx area? I'm having fun looking these areas up in maps & streetview.

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
Voted for 1m+ hellscape, live in Philly and on the same page with Alex Alex . I grew up in the outskirts of Phoenix n the 80s/90s and hated how I had to travel 45mins into the city to do anything and possibly risk a DUI every time I went to a show/bar/gathering because I wanted a drink or two. Now, it's a casual 15 minute bike ride or trolley ride into downtown and everything I could want is within 30 mins on bike.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
Rural, I can fuck farm animals and nobody will know.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
town of 1 square mile and ~2000 residents.
I'm about 10 miles SE of Philly, so I can get there when I want, but I also have a yard that backs up to a conservation area and a driveway to park my car

iannis

Musty Nester
Real talk? Seems like everyone's kids around here are fucking autistic. Not because how they behave, mind you-- I've gotten used to screechy nonverbal 4-5 year olds. But it feels like almost every time someone drags their kid into our work the first thing out of their mouth is 'Aiden/Jaeden/Potato is autistic' -- I know it's a lot more often than a 3% or whatever the fuck occurence rate is supposed to be now. Everyone's got one in the family now and it's become a weird badge of honor that people put as rainbow puzzle piece stickers in the back of the van window.

Yeah, when people start to realize they can get free sympathy (and they value that sympathy) stupid shit begins to happen.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
i live in a city of about 51k
live 3 minute drive from a city of 94k
live 30 minutes from boston 600k
also live 30 minutes from towns of under 10k

my preferred area is about where i live, just not "here" (too expensive) median house is 445k in my city now. i would like to move somewhere more rural so i can buy ~20-80 acres of land just to have/hunt

my house is assessed at 471k currently, when i bought my house in 2003, it was assessed for 300k (i bought it for 181,500) in 2004 i spent 100k putting on a second floor have not done much since.

stupidmonkey

Not Smrt
<Gold Donor>
Split my time between two areas of the country every six months.
500K with 5 million in the surrounding area that seems to get shittier every day.
The other area is living on 6 acres with 7K people about 5 minutes away and is actually thriving.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I live in a town of close to 200k. The wife and i bought a farm tbis year in an earea where noone can see or hear a neighbour. the farmers are super friendly and helpful but also mind their own business. I am going to love living there.I hate cities. Spent my wbole adult life grying to get out. I want someone to find my corpse face down in the dirt not the pavement.
I'm jealous.