What vehicle do you drive?

Siliconemelons

Lol - when my wife had a civic - 2005 - it needed a air filter and I wanted a non paper, k&n type... yup an entire new "cold air" intake was the same price as the filter..

So I was like ez mode... hour later I got all the junk out... its air boxes etc lol just like you posted.

Mine was no ricer, but it was me cheapo lol

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
In California no less, where there is almost never any rain and certainly no snow/ice/salt to corrode the engine bay. Unless, you're parking it at the beach with the hood open every day.

TL,DR; it's a Honduh, trash it.

• 1Rustled

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Talked a lot on discord, and doing my own research. Still interested in the Grom, possibly a TW200 (seems also very forgiving and a bit more oomph), or for a grand more you are getting into Rebel/CB300 which the new 2017 honda models of those also look great, and like 5k I think for the 500's version.

Biggest issue is as a commuter for a 38mile one way trip..... doubling travel time because even if it was capable, knowing the stretch of I25 I dont think I'd want to take a bike on the highway. So that would mean frontage/back roads and make 45mins probably 1hr30mins or more..... But going from 16mpg to 70 or 120 is attractive. (Though it's mainly about saving the miles on the truck, 2015 and about to hit 50k miles)

3k bike and 100mpg actually would break even reasonbly quick on fuel, is part of why I don't want to consider some older beater shit car. (dont like worrying about breakdowns, 16vs 25-30ish optmistically is a long break even point on something probably more than 3k)

I fantasize about the cheaper Tesla or maybe the newer Bolt coming, but doubt those in the end would really financially be that smart.

Need to factor in your non-trivial chance of being killed on a motorcycle trying to commute that far, especially one as fucking slow as these.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Need to factor in your non-trivial chance of being killed on a motorcycle trying to commute that far, especially one as fucking slow as these.

men-in-tights-gauntlet-slap.gif

• 1Solidarity

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thought I had some later replies saying it, but I'm moving away from the micro bike for commute. I even with a bigger real bike am probably going to avoid highway speeds. so like 45-55mph back roads if I do it.

Doesn't help another news report of some hit and run where guy slams into back of a bike on the smaller highway for no reason....

Still angry at Elio crushing my dreams of a ultra high mileage cheapish vehicle.

• 1Solidarity

Hekotat

I pulled 114mpg on my bike so far, still have 2 bars left on the gauge but I filled up anyways for a whopping $2.67, 68mph seems to be the top speed on mine with my weight/gearing.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah fuck that. Any motorcycle in any city or burb is death waiting to happen. I dont think Ive ever met a motorcyclist that didnt have at least one near death experience. One fucker I know, my wifes dads good friend lost a fucking leg.

A few years ago we were doing some shit in our back yard and we see a helicopter and sirens all over the place (we lived one RD south of main road in sub) Anyway, we walk to the main road to see WTF is going on and its a life flight landing in the middle of the street. Some dude took his harley out first time in spring, on a Sunday afternoon, and some drunk bitch pulled out in front of him from shopping center.

But shit like this changes when youre older though. Young people tend to take more risks. But the older you get the wiser you get, couple that with family that actually rely on you, well it makes choices like this easier.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Thought I had some later replies saying it, but I'm moving away from the micro bike for commute. I even with a bigger real bike am probably going to avoid highway speeds. so like 45-55mph back roads if I do it.

Doesn't help another news report of some hit and run where guy slams into back of a bike on the smaller highway for no reason....

Still angry at Elio crushing my dreams of a ultra high mileage cheapish vehicle.

The statistics are undeniable, your chance of death on a motorcycle is some ridiculous multiplier higher per mile driven than a car. Now, like car deaths I think a lot of those are alcohol related, but I intend to live to be a cranky old man. Fuck getting killed on the road by some idiot so I can get better mpg.

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Another buddy of mine at work lost his son, 19 yrs old on a motorcycle. Fucker was going of to college and just sold it to another friend, was taking it for a last spin in his subdivision. Again, hit a car coming out of driveway or a parked car or some shit.

another anecdote, an engineer I worked with in the past, huge harley dude. Was going down freeway when all of a suden the traffic stopped in front of him. fucker laid down his $20K bike and skided some 200ft. he didnt get hurt, but he no longer rides bikes.

One more. A CAD designer I worked with did the same thing, laid down his bike somewhere. Fucking road rash on 50% of his body. He was gone 2 weeks from work. But this dumb ass didnt learn his lesson.

Hekotat

The statistics are undeniable, your chance of death on a motorcycle is some ridiculous multiplier higher per mile driven than a car. Now, like car deaths I think a lot of those are alcohol related, but I intend to live to be a cranky old man. Fuck getting killed on the road by some idiot so I can get better mpg.

Give me the money to build a 4 rotor FC and I will gladly get rid of the bike.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Throughout my life I'd heard of people dying or having been killed in car wrecks, mostly like driving 70 on icy highway, drunk driver, etc. Never really "knew" anyone. Knew of plenty who had died from motorcycles. Been living in a large city for a few years now, seen (as in real time) two motorcyclists get killed with mine own eyes. Both were dumb decisions turned deadly but fuck there's really very little room for error when you have lifted F350s going 50 on back roads and your average weekend has a few people killed by wrong way drivers on the freeway.

I'm sure the risk can be mitigated somewhat by planning your driving, but it just seems deadly in ways that even "bad" car wrecks aren't.

nazon

Molten Core Raider
My DD since 2008 is a Mitsubishi EVO X (82K). I picked up a used 2007 Audi Q7 (72K miles, 95k now) as our family car after my son was born in 2015. Q7 replaced my wife's Mini cooper.

The EVO has given me no trouble, gets decent MPG and is fun to drive. After 9 years though, I've been itching to get a car that isn't an import tuner.

I did have a bike, Yamaha 2005 R6 from 2010-2012. While I didn't have any close calls, it was EXTREMELY dangerous driving that thing in south Florida. I wasn't worried about my skill, but other drivers. I would usually ride it on A1A super early in the morning, but I cycle now.

My dream is to get a 911 or 911 turbo, but I honestly don't want to DD it. I think I might eventually get a prius or econo shit box for my DD. Don't want to show up to work in a Porsche and it would be a weekend car, but that's years away for me.

• 1Solidarity

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I love bikes. I owned one and it was incredible (CBR 600rr). But, I did dumb shit (was early 20's) and every other person on the road seemed to be a flipping moron. So, I sold it before anything catastrophic happened. Having friends who work as EMTs or in the ER talking about bike accidents and the stats still shocks me today. The only way I'll ever ride again is on a track or in my back yard on a dirt bike. Never on the road again.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
But shit like this changes when youre older though. Young people tend to take more risks. But the older you get the wiser you get, couple that with family that actually rely on you, well it makes choices like this easier.

could also be that unwise people weed themselves out before they get older. perhaps older people just seem wiser because they were the only ones that didn't kill themselves off before reaching maturity.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I love bikes. I owned one and it was incredible (CBR 600rr). But, I did dumb shit (was early 20's) and every other person on the road seemed to be a flipping moron. So, I sold it before anything catastrophic happened. Having friends who work as EMTs or in the ER talking about bike accidents and the stats still shocks me today. The only way I'll ever ride again is on a track or in my back yard on a dirt bike. Never on the road again.

Yeah we have a few 125s at my cabin that we tool around with. Also a few souped up mini bikes that do 50mph+, but this is up state MI, no traffic in the woods. Still dangerous as shit, but at least you only have to worry about your own stupidity. We also have full gear from shoulder and chest guards, helmets, down to motocross boots with metal plate for shin guards.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I mean if i puss out. I suppose there is still the grom or tw200 for playing with i stead of commuting.

Just after many years of long commutes kinda wishing i didnt have one anymore i think is tue crux of it.

Just wish i had a cheap but reliable commuter option to save my truck for regular errands/hauling/fun. Would keep the commute more tolerable. (Lol where are you street launched small personal planes)

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm about to change my old Subaru for some german beauty, but I can't really decide which one I should get. The two contenders are the BMW M4 and the Mercedes CLA 45 Amg. The BMW has more power, a more "muscle" look and a better looking cockpit. The CLA is more confortable, has 5 doors, and consume less fuel per km. My main concern with the BMW is that it's noisy as fuck when driving, whereas you barely hear the engine in the mercedes. Since I'm driving quite often for long period (5h+), this could be a big issue (headache, etc)
Has anyone ever encountered such issue ?

BMWM4vsCLA.png

• 1Solidarity