What vehicle do you drive?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ya, was going to say that's some fucked up market. I was seeing new Duke 390's a couple are at factory msrp 5-5.5k.

Think I'm favoring that Yamaha with a lot of aftermarket stuff I like. Though the cruiser speaks to me, and imagine the Duke technically the best fit for pure practical commuter. (Think it had the best mpg, cheapest, still gets up to highway speeds even if im staying city roads)

Siliconemelons

now if we are talking things we WANT to drive...and yamaha's

yamaha-warrior-midnight-wallpaper-3.jpg

mmm so sex

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Wife decided she wanted a Beetle. Found her a fully equipped 2013 turbo in gunmetal that has me wanting to get rid of my 06 Civic. It's a pretty fun car to drive. I had convinced myself I would save up for a Tesla model 3 but who knows when they'll be widely available.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
911 is up for sale, I never drive it anymore. The Tesla is a better street car in every fashion. May get another Cayman for a track car.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
911 is up for sale, I never drive it anymore. The Tesla is a better street car in every fashion. May get another Cayman for a track car.

Funny, I'd never drive a Tesla over a 911, even a base Carrera. I'd say the Porsche is a better car, in every fashion. When I'm done with the Hellcat, I'll probably get another 911 for a daily - 991.1 GTS if I can't get a spot for a 991.2 GT3 - It's a damn good thing there's so much for us to choose from. But, we do need a station wagon or SUV soon too. That'll determine with P-Car comes home.

Although, I will say; if the new Tesla entry level car is all it's cracked up to be and can actually be had for under $40k, that would make a very, very good commuter and would be tempting for sure (but I'd still never be without a naturally aspirated, manual trans car on the side).

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Funny, I'd never drive a Tesla over a 911, even a base Carrera. I'd say the Porsche is a better car, in every fashion. When I'm done with the Hellcat, I'll probably get another 911 for a daily - 991.1 GTS if I can't get a spot for a 991.2 GT3 - It's a damn good thing there's so much for us to choose from. But, we do need a station wagon or SUV soon too. That'll determine with P-Car comes home.

Although, I will say; if the new Tesla entry level car is all it's cracked up to be and can actually be had for under $40k, that would make a very, very good commuter and would be tempting for sure (but I'd still never be without a naturally aspirated, manual trans car on the side).

If I only ever drove by myself, didn't care about gas mileage, maintenance, or durability, never used the nav/infotainment, only cared about ultimate speed and not about usable squirt power in traffic, never needed to carry anything, or this was a track-only car then the 911 would absolutely be the superior car. As it is, as a real world every day car, a 911 is pretty impractical. I can keep both indefinitely but I'll jump out of this 911 and take maybe a $5k loss. No big deal. I can get another one later.

The value proposition on the GT3/GTS seems pretty slim to me. The GT3 is annoying on the street and too expensive to track unless you enjoy lighting money on fire and/or need a GT3 to "win" the DE.

I'm gonna keep the Tesla for a while and maybe build a spec boxster or a C5Z track car, or another Cayman.

Siliconemelons

Nissan debuted their 2nd Gen Leaf...

Its good that they have shifted it to more "normal car (well nissan)" look - and its bigger and more powerful - but they only increased range by ~ 50 miles per charge... so its at about 150.

Maybe there is some unknown factors - but Nissan was the forefront of battery tech, and the forefront of all electric consumer cars - so I do not see how, or why, they have not met- or exceeded the 250 mile mark to even compete with CHEVY with their bolt or even be near the estimated Tesla Model 3 range (250-350)

Sure the 2nd gen leaf is actually MSRP 3kish LESS than the first, thats good... but for a few more k, you can get a bolt and double mileage... for then again a few more k, your into a model 3....

I think Nissan dropped the ball on this one if anything just because of the range.... a used 1st gen leaf with a recently swapped battery for like 6-8k is still a damn awesome runabout car option

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Nissan debuted their 2nd Gen Leaf...

Its good that they have shifted it to more "normal car (well nissan)" look - and its bigger and more powerful - but they only increased range by ~ 50 miles per charge... so its at about 150.

Maybe there is some unknown factors - but Nissan was the forefront of battery tech, and the forefront of all electric consumer cars - so I do not see how, or why, they have not met- or exceeded the 250 mile mark to even compete with CHEVY with their bolt or even be near the estimated Tesla Model 3 range (250-350)

Sure the 2nd gen leaf is actually MSRP 3kish LESS than the first, thats good... but for a few more k, you can get a bolt and double mileage... for then again a few more k, your into a model 3....

I think Nissan dropped the ball on this one if anything just because of the range.... a used 1st gen leaf with a recently swapped battery for like 6-8k is still a damn awesome runabout car option

Worse than that, it still doesn't have any active battery management so the battery is just air cooled and will be heat damaged and degraded in hot climates. Just like the first gen leaf.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Can't dispute anything you said. But, I don't give a damn about that - Hellcat is current DD; want to talk about mileage? haha - so for me another Porsche IS the best DD half of the time - the new Tesla mid-sized or an F-Pace or something for the dogs - because what I DO care about is: involvement, drama, theatre, sound, feel, and fun. Value is a purely subjective measurement when it comes to things like this. I see the GTS or GT3 has having almost unparalleled value, because they make me smile. A Prius or Honda Civic has ZERO value for me, because they are the antithesis of what I care about in cars.

If you want a dedicated track car, that C5Z would be perfect. You can get a good condition one for $15k and replace the hoses, brake lines, brakes, rubber, bushings, and freshen up the engine then add a cage and be into it for under $25k while having plenty of power, grip, and brakes. Heck, that makes me want to do it, but I have no time to run up to COTA to make it worth it.

Siliconemelons

Worse than that, it still doesn't have any active battery management so the battery is just air cooled and will be heat damaged and degraded in hot climates. Just like the first gen leaf.

My exec dir has a 1gen and he got his battery replaced under warranty - he is reserved for a tesla m3 - so I may buy his leaf if that ever happens- he said the new battery was a "lizard" battery that was specifically made for Florida (were we are) and other hot locations - he has had no issues or abnormal degregation - I think he is still getting 80ish full range (1st gen leaf was 80, refresh bumped it to 107)

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Can't dispute anything you said. But, I don't give a damn about that - Hellcat is current DD; want to talk about mileage? haha - so for me another Porsche IS the best DD half of the time - the new Tesla mid-sized or an F-Pace or something for the dogs - because what I DO care about is: involvement, drama, theatre, sound, feel, and fun. Value is a purely subjective measurement when it comes to things like this. I see the GTS or GT3 has having almost unparalleled value, because they make me smile. A Prius or Honda Civic has ZERO value for me, because they are the antithesis of what I care about in cars.

Nobody said you should buy a civic or prius. But if you like a GT3, a Cayman S with headers and exhaust and coilovers is going to be a lot more approachable, tossable, and usable on the street. A 911 Turbo would be at the next light before you're even in the power band of the GT3. At anything approaching sane driving speeds, the handling characteristics of the Turbo or Cayman are irrelevant, and both are very hoonable if thats what you're into.

If you really want involvement and drama and noise and feel, you should just get a LSx miata. Get an NB and a ~450rwhp LSx which is trivial.

If you want a dedicated track car, that C5Z would be perfect. You can get a good condition one for $15k and replace the hoses, brake lines, brakes, rubber, bushings, and freshen up the engine then add a cage and be into it for under $25k while having plenty of power, grip, and brakes. Heck, that makes me want to do it, but I have no time to run up to COTA to make it worth it.

No shit, thats why I have owned C5Z's before. And COTA is hardly the only track in Texas nor is it even close to the most fun.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nobody said you should buy a civic or prius. But if you like a GT3, a Cayman S with headers and exhaust and coilovers is going to be a lot more approachable, tossable, and usable on the street. A 911 Turbo would be at the next light before you're even in the power band of the GT3. At anything approaching sane driving speeds, the handling characteristics of the Turbo or Cayman are irrelevant, and both are very hoonable if thats what you're into.

If you really want involvement and drama and noise and feel, you should just get a LSx miata. Get an NB and a ~450rwhp LSx which is trivial.

No shit, thats why I have owned C5Z's before. And COTA is hardly the only track in Texas nor is it even close to the most fun.

Yup, a Turbo (s) will definitely be a faster street car. But, it's PDK only and sounds like a vacuum. It's not about outright speed, it's about "fun" and a certain aesthetic. If the GT4 came with a better transmission, that would be a great go-to. Again, this is why it's great there are so many choices. I've owned or driven those owned by friends, all P-cars except the Carerra GT (which I did get a ride in at least) so I know what I like and why.

Regarding tracks; I've only lived in Texas for 16 months so I won't pretend to know where they all are and how fun they are. I just know COTA is a cool place and it was fun when I went. But, a track car isn't in the cards for the foreseeable future. Far too much work and travel this year and next. That aside, do you have any recommendations for fun drives without having to go to Austin or West/North West Texas?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Yup, a Turbo (s) will definitely be a faster street car. But, it's PDK only and sounds like a vacuum. It's not about outright speed, it's about "fun" and a certain aesthetic. If the GT4 came with a better transmission, that would be a great go-to. Again, this is why it's great there are so many choices. I've owned or driven those owned by friends, all P-cars except the Carerra GT (which I did get a ride in at least) so I know what I like and why.

Regarding tracks; I've only lived in Texas for 16 months so I won't pretend to know where they all are and how fun they are. I just know COTA is a cool place and it was fun when I went. But, a track car isn't in the cards for the foreseeable future. Far too much work and travel this year and next. That aside, do you have any recommendations for fun drives without having to go to Austin or West/North West Texas?

Look at this, lots of good roads to drive. North Texas - Great motorcycle roads

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>

GTS is fine for a daily, but a GT3? Have you ever driven a GT3? I think you'll be sorely, sorely disappointed if you try to daily 1 of those. It is not a car meant to be driven on the streets, even in non RS trim. You have to rev the hell out of it to get it to do anything, the suspension is super harsh, etc etc. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Carrera 4 GTS for a weekend car, I test drove a GT3 at the same time and it was...not comfortable

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Thank god I'll never have to worry about having to drive a GT3 as my daily!

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
GTS is fine for a daily, but a GT3? Have you ever driven a GT3? I think you'll be sorely, sorely disappointed if you try to daily 1 of those. It is not a car meant to be driven on the streets, even in non RS trim. You have to rev the hell out of it to get it to do anything, the suspension is super harsh, etc etc. I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a Carrera 4 GTS for a weekend car, I test drove a GT3 at the same time and it was...not comfortable

The GTS is really nothing but the S with the powerkit and aero kit anyway, nothing you can't option up your S to get. It's a riceboy special, essentially.

The GT3 is fun on the track but not on the street; people driving GT3's around on the street are just posers. Might dovetail nicely with his interest in the GTS actually...

That sounded harsher than I meant it Burren. Sorta.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
The GTS is really nothing but the S with the powerkit and aero kit anyway, nothing you can't option up your S to get. It's a riceboy special, essentially.

The GT3 is fun on the track but not on the street; people driving GT3's around on the street are just posers. Might dovetail nicely with his interest in the GTS actually...

I know what the GTS is. I very much prefer the widebody of the GTS over the standard S body, "ricer" or not. I doubt you'll find many, if any, people that would consider the GTS a ricer version of the S anyway

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Meh. I've owned enough cars over the years that other people think should be driven a certain way in a certain place. I don't give a rat's ass. I drive the cars I like when I feel like it. I know it's better suited for the track. When I owned my 997.1 RS, I drove it at the track. But, guess what? I drove it on the street too because it was fun as hell for me. I liked the involvement. Didn't care about the clutch or the suspension. And, BTW; the GTS may only be a trim level of the Carrera, but all-in, it's cheaper than building up an S with those parts and it looks good with the duck tail and wider fenders.

It all comes back to "good thing there are so many options"; everyone can do what they want. Poser? No. About as far from that as it gets. I put a fuck-ton of miles on my cars and they aren't driving to Starbucks or the car wash.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Was coming down to the end of the lease, Nissan, and the dealership kept trying to get a hold of me to trade it in early.

Come in, talk about leasing another Frontier, get this run around about having to put 5 down just to get the same range for my last lease, yeah fucking right, I didn't put 5 down for the initial lease you fucker.

I wasn't expressly in the market for a truck this time around, so he tries to sell me a lease on a Rogue, take it for a test drive. Has a lot of nice feature, but it feels like its dragging ass. Takes me a little while to mull over how I felt driving it, before I realize that I do not want a Rogue (Why would they name a 170 HP chick car, the Rogue, only thing it had going for it was my bias towards my Everquest class).

Anyway I'm like no deal, I'll probably just buy out my truck.

Week later I'm looking online at lease deals Nissan is offering through their dealerships, see one that looks legit, go in, negotiate the numbers, test drive, like it.

Come out the same day with a Murano, for the same price they tried to sell me on a Rogue.

2bd25Nf.jpg

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user