What vehicle do you drive?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
When I'm alone my primary mode of transportation is my motorcycle. Winter included if the roads are bare, cold doesn't bother me. Driving the bike in a city environment is pretty safe. There are very few scenarios where I could see death happening. The speeds are just not high enough, and I'm a cautious, near paranoid driver. If I were tooling down the highway, that's when death possibilities seem to come in to play. But doing 35 in town? Sure, I can get busted up pretty good, but death? Maybe I'm just being stupid.

The only close call I've had in nearly 30 years of driving a bike is when a guy tapped me from behind. No injury, virtually no damage to anything. I've always found people cautious and courteous with me when I'm on the bike. I don't count on that, thought.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm about to change my old Subaru for some german beauty, but I can't really decide which one I should get. The two contenders are the BMW M4 and the Mercedes CLA 45 Amg. The BMW has more power, a more "muscle" look and a better looking cockpit. The CLA is more confortable, has 5 doors, and consume less fuel per km. My main concern with the BMW is that it's noisy as fuck when driving, whereas you barely hear the engine in the mercedes. Since I'm driving quite often for long period (5h+), this could be a big issue (headache, etc)
Has anyone ever encountered such issue ?

View attachment 152482
Is money no object, because the M4 is likely 20 grand more than the CLA AMG, once optioned out. If I could have either, it would most definitely be the M4. Now the M4 vs the C63 AMG would probably be a harder choice, though I'd probably still go with the BMW, as I like the styling better on the M4. I'll admit that cabin noise isn't a big factor for me. I just drove a 370Z for 6 years. It sounded like soda cans being ground up.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Money is indeed not the main issue, although it's a factor.

The C63 amg is a nice car, drove it a few time on the german highways, went up to 300km/h (GPS measurement), but I think it's an old person car. The V8 sounds like a beast.

4456_gps.png

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Money is indeed not the main issue, although it's a factor.

The C63 amg is a nice car, drove it a few time on the german highways, went up to 300km/h (GPS measurement), but I think it's an old person car. The V8 sounds like a beast.

View attachment 152585

holy shit..my balls gitter at 180 km/h...i can't imagine what it must feel like at 300 km/h..

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
holy shit..my balls gitter at 180 km/h...i can't imagine what it must feel like at 300 km/h..

Well I do have german blood in my vein !

More seriously, the first time I went on the german highway, I did not go higher than 160-180km/h. You have to feel confident and know your car to go higher. With my poor Subaru legacy 3.0 I can reach 220-230 km/h, but the noise and the vibration are rather unconfortable.

Not a fan of that particular AMG styling, I'd go with the BMW.

I think they look super aggressive and I like that, but the M4 looks awesome.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm about to change my old Subaru for some german beauty, but I can't really decide which one I should get. The two contenders are the BMW M4 and the Mercedes CLA 45 Amg. The BMW has more power, a more "muscle" look and a better looking cockpit. The CLA is more confortable, has 5 doors, and consume less fuel per km. My main concern with the BMW is that it's noisy as fuck when driving, whereas you barely hear the engine in the mercedes. Since I'm driving quite often for long period (5h+), this could be a big issue (headache, etc)

View attachment 152482

I'd never spend that money on a 4cyl and I don't like the look of the CLA to begin with. The c63, however, is amazing. But, you said 4 doors is plus for the Merc, why not just get the M3? It'll be a better car and have 3-4 years of free maintenance (BMWs do in the US, maybe not the rest of the world?) along with looking the part and if it matters to you, can he had with a manual transmission. M3's and 4's I've been in haven't been obnoxious to drive long distances in. Yes, they are noisier than a Lexus or non-AMG Mercedes, but they are quite livable.

Have you had a chance to drive either yet?

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
How do you think the C63 is an old person car but the CLA45 is not?

IMHO the CLA catters to younger people with its more aggressive loooks. The C63 is longer than the titanic and has a lot of frills for old people (the massaging seats come to mind). Also, the rear looks meh.

I'd never spend that money on a 4cyl and I don't like the look of the CLA to begin with. The c63, however, is amazing. But, you said 4 doors is plus for the Merc, why not just get the M3? It'll be a better car and have 3-4 years of free maintenance (BMWs do in the US, maybe not the rest of the world?) along with looking the part and if it matters to you, can he had with a manual transmission. M3's and 4's I've been in haven't been obnoxious to drive long distances in. Yes, they are noisier than a Lexus or non-AMG Mercedes, but they are quite livable.

Have you had a chance to drive either yet?

The M4, yes, the CLA not yet. The noise did not particulary shocked me, but I was limited to 120 km/h.
Your remarks about the M3 are on points, however everybody and their drug dealers have one around here whereas the M4 not so much. And I'd rather have automatic transmission, manual are fun but in traffic it's a real pain in the ass (litteraly - you get bum cramps after one hour of pushing on the clutch)
I'll try to test the CLA this weekend if I can find one around here.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
How do you think the C63 is an old person car but the CLA45 is not?

Them cool yellow stripe wheels.

The Mercedes sporty line are just meh looking until you get into ridiculous territory like the GTS or at least the 2 seaters in general. The CLA (and C63 etc.) looks, I dunno droopy or something.

I'd still probably choose BMW unless I wanted to only consider luxury. All the new Mercedes I've driven (or in) are better composed for the money than the BMWs it seems but that might be the "plastic interior BMW" problem.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
IMHO the CLA catters to younger people with its more aggressive loooks. The C63 is longer than the titanic and has a lot of frills for old people (the massaging seats come to mind). Also, the rear looks meh.

The CLA45 is 183" long the C63 is 185"

Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg

• 2Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 152482

Buy the M4, or save some money and buy an M2. Not as roomy (lol), but fast, fun, and not terribly common.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I know kinda all over the place in styles. But besides the vulcan, these have kinda caught my eye locally. Then stuff like the 2017 honda CB500/650 too.

Gun forum guy I knew had a 8k spyder but high end of budget and only 30mpg if that put it in too much fun rather than utilitarian. (though looks still matter to me)

2015 Yamaha Fz07

2016 KTM Duke 390

2015 Honda CB500X
(Price absurd but love the color/style.)

Last edited:

Siliconemelons

Wife ride, RIP Manvan :-(

I have her Rogue now... contemplating what it will be replaced with- thinking 2015+ mustang convertible bc i actually fit in them very well.

27.jpg

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I know kinda all over the place in styles. But besides the vulcan, these have kinda caught my eye locally. Then stuff like the 2017 honda CB500/650 too.

Gun forum guy I knew had a 8k spyder but high end of budget and only 30mpg if that put it in too much fun rather than utilitarian. (though looks still matter to me)

2015 Yamaha Fz07

2016 KTM Duke 390

2015 Honda CB500X
(Price absurd but love the color/style.)

Thad Duke 390 is so sexy but 7k, lol.