What vehicle do you drive?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
While it's faster, it's just not as fun. I wish F1 would go back to manual transmissions, I feel like they removed some of the skill ceiling by going paddle shifters. They basically removed all the fancy footwork from the equation.

I will give you this point. There is a place SW of Ft Worth Texas called "Motorsports Ranch" where they have a great pair of tracks and stable of very fun cars. I did laps in a Lamborghini, Ferrari, and a Viper. The Viper was the only car with a clutch to work....

But spoiler alert...
I still preferred the Lamborghini.... It was the car equivalent of a stacked blonde gymnast who insists that you choke her while she calls you daddy.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I will give you this point. There is a place SW of Ft Worth Texas called "Motorsports Ranch" where they have a great pair of tracks and stable of very fun cars. I did laps in a Lamborghini, Ferrari, and a Viper. The Viper was the only car with a clutch to work....

But spoiler alert...
I still preferred the Lamborghini.... It was the car equivalent of a stacked blonde gymnast who insists that you choke her while she calls you daddy.

I have a friend that trains drivers out there but that place is too expensive for my blood.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I have a friend that trains drivers out there but that place is too expensive for my blood.

I only got to do it because we were doing a marketing event for some of my companies "high tone" customers.... Still, I had to be careful about getting out of the cars knowing I'd probably still be 3/4 to full on.

I think some time this fall we're doing the NASCAR driving experience at TMS.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
While it's faster, it's just not as fun. I wish F1 would go back to manual transmissions, I feel like they removed some of the skill ceiling by going paddle shifters. They basically removed all the fancy footwork from the equation.

Yup, that's the whole point. I don't care if I'm slower 0-60, I want to enjoy the drive. But, there are so few cars left that can be had with a manual and it's sad. IF the Mercedes AMG GT had one, for instance, it would be awesome. I think the new Vantage will have the option in a year or two. Ferrari, Lambo, Audi never will again and it's tragic (not that I'd get the Italians, but it's the principle).

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I really miss my manual transmission. It was never about going faster to me. It's simply more fun to drive.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Just because you don't have a clutch doesn't mean there isn't any thought/skill that goes into deciding what gear to put the car in at any given point. Any sport car with an 'automatic' transmission has a mode where the driver still has 100% control over what gear the car is in at any given point except some extreme cases in particular they usually prevent an unintentional 'money shift' .

Siliconemelons

Right, I would not say 100% - try to go from, let's say any gear 3 and above at let's say 4k rpm straight to 1st - it won't let you blow itself up.

Non sport cars that have e-shift are even more restrictive, but that's a given

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Right, I would not say 100% - try to go from, let's say any gear 3 and above at let's say 4k rpm straight to 1st - it won't let you blow itself up.

Non sport cars that have e-shift are even more restrictive, but that's a given
Yeah, that's what I call a money shift hehe :)

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You can't even get an F-350 with a manual transmission anymore. There's really no reason for them anymore aside from nostalgia for old farts.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
I have driven manual cars the last 10 + years. But there's a daily situation in which I wish I had an auto.

Leaving work each day, there's a climb up to a roundabout that then feeds onto the highway. The traffic gets quite heavy at that time of day, so it's always a slow crawl up the hill as the cars all try to get onto the roundabout. So it's a little feed of revs and a half grab of clutch again and again for several minutes.

I know that this had seriously shortened the life of the clutch in my last car. And in that situation, an auto with torque converter would be dream.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Manual transmissions are the best anti theft device ever created.
50d8e4f86a533628128b4911765a6ace.jpg

Europeans be like.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I like control stick gives me, and my brakes last longer, too.

You can get the same control with paddle shifters and no clutch to hit. Although I'll even admit I enjoyed a certain visceral level of working a clutch and pushing around corners and such.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
You can get the same control with paddle shifters and no clutch to hit. Although I'll even admit I enjoyed a certain visceral level of working a clutch and pushing around corners and such.

Yeah, this rental I have has a paddle shifter, and it's not bad. I still miss the clutch. Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I simply enjoy driving stick.

• 1Solidarity

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
ppc.jpg

Manual.

You can't even get an F-350 with a manual transmission anymore. There's really no reason for them anymore aside from nostalgia for old farts.

Price is a good second reason if you're young and poor. I picked my Mazda2 up for like $12k new with a manual. An auto would have cost 1 or 2k more, and 2s only have a 4-speed auto, while manual is a 5-speed.

Last edited:

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Just because you don't have a clutch doesn't mean there isn't any thought/skill that goes into deciding what gear to put the car in at any given point. Any sport car with an 'automatic' transmission has a mode where the driver still has 100% control over what gear the car is in at any given point except some extreme cases in particular they usually prevent an unintentional 'money shift' .

There is some skill required with an auto but there is way more skill requried with a manual. You have to be a master of heel/toe and you have to ensure you don't pull a money shift or miss a gear. There is considerably more talent required with a manual. Now, I'm not saying these guys aren't talented and anyone can do their job, but you lower the skill ceiling considerably when you go to paddle shifters.

To be clear I'm talking about racing, not driving around town trying to impress your high school girlfriend.

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
Even non electric cars now have high performance 8+ speed automatic transmissions that are all but unbeatable by someone working a clutch.

I'm not a fan of 8+ speed autos. Imagine you have a 350hp+ engine but the damn thing has you in 4th gear by 22mph.

Sure they can be faster in the 1/4 mile, but it's not much fun driving around daily with the rpm's always hovering around 1200.