What vehicle do you drive?

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
This is mine. Same color and everything. An '09 Jetta wagon. 113k miles so far.
2009VWJettaSportswagenTDIBeautyLeft02small-575.jpg

I bought it used a year ago for $7k and I've put about $2k into it in repairs and upgrades. Those are a new AC compressor, new tires & a new head unit that isn't a piece of shit and allows me to connect my phone via bluetooth. I also installed a back up camera & ran the microphone cable completely hidden for the blue tooth connection. It's an ugly car, but I like the thing a lot. I'm also pleased with the work I've done to it to make it a really quality vehicle. I take pride in doing things, so the various electronics I've installed look like they're from the factory.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I'm not a fan of 8+ speed autos. Imagine you have a 350hp+ engine but the damn thing has you in 4th gear by 22mph.

Sure they can be faster in the 1/4 mile, but it's not much fun driving around daily with the rpm's always hovering around 1200.

I would sure hope it wouldn't always hover the RPM at 1200... A car like that is going to have more than some simple drive vs overdrive mode. I think the distinction is automatic in the sense that the car 100% decides the shift point vs a car that automatically performs the transition between gears. A high performance car like that will most likely let you set the mode to aggressively hold high RPM automatically or let you have control over letting the car stay at high RPM.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
Dodge/Chrysler 8 speed transmissions under normal driving will be at 4th gear around 20mph and 5th gear around 25-27mph. Pretty stupid. Their trucks don't have a sport mode or paddle shifters.

Ford trucks are very similar with their transmissions.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
View attachment 168001

Manual.

Price is a good second reason if you're young and poor. I picked my Mazda2 up for like $12k new with a manual. An auto would have cost 1 or 2k more, and 2s only have a 4-speed auto, while manual is a 5-speed.

My wife has that in dark purple (festival black metallic). Got it at a reasonable price from a dealer 5 miles away and it's a mileage monster. Plus four doors was important because two kidseats. Nice little car, might get a bigger mazda once this one is used up.

This video shows crazy driver footwork, oh and crazy fans:

Walter Röhrl, the man, the legend.

Some quotes:

A car is only fast enough if you're standing in front of it in the morning and are too scared to unlock it.

You can't treat a car like a human being. A car needs love.

When accelerating, the tears of joy must flow horizontally towards the ear.

I don't wear a helmet for anything over 8 minutes on the Nürburgring Nordschleife.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Can't believe I forgot about Keichi Tsuchiya, this dude is fast.

• 1Like

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
Dodge/Chrysler 8 speed transmissions under normal driving will be at 4th gear around 20mph and 5th gear around 25-27mph. Pretty stupid. Their trucks don't have a sport mode or paddle shifters.

Ford trucks are very similar with their transmissions.
Dang...
So I had to do a test to see where my shift points were with full automatic mode(8 speed). I wouldn't hit 3rd until 60+. It would also hold the RPM fairly high ready for me to get back into business.

wILwrVh.jpg

Down the road a ways it realized I was done and goes into a sane gear level/RPM though.
HZMAdm7.jpg

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
2018 Golf R - APR 93 Octane tuned.

"sweeeeeeeeeeeeet" :)

View attachment 172755

View attachment 172756

View attachment 172757
Tell me you are in CO so I can try it ^_^. Living my need for speed via bikes since I quickly saw throwing money at my truck was stupid no matter how much of a gain I make over stock. (Though I'm still dreaming of it supercharged which I was very close to doing 3 years ago)

Used to have an 08 R32, the last real "R" in my mind. Though it suffered in the US in hotter states with overheat type issues creating vaporlock type symtpoms. (Even got an article published in a TTAC via their reader submitted questions)

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Tell me you are in CO so I can try it ^_^. Living my need for speed via bikes since I quickly saw throwing money at my truck was stupid no matter how much of a gain I make over stock. (Though I'm still dreaming of it supercharged which I was very close to doing 3 years ago)

Used to have an 08 R32, the last real "R" in my mind. Though it suffered in the US in hotter states with overheat type issues creating vaporlock type symtpoms. (Even got an article published in a TTAC via their reader submitted questions)

I WISH!!! Stuck in New England...

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
I WISH!!! Stuck in New England...

Looking to go for a Stage 1 tune soonish, any maintenance concerns you are aware of? As a maintenance manager and driving 100 miles a day, it's one of my major reservations.

Even stock it is a shitton of fun.

• 1Like

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Looking to go for a Stage 1 tune soonish, any maintenance concerns you are aware of? As a maintenance manager and driving 100 miles a day, it's one of my major reservations.

Even stock it is a shitton of fun.

I agree- stock the car is fine. By me there a few oVW dealers that will do the stage 1 APR tune. Since the warranty on the vehicle is unbeatable (6 years 72,000 miles bumper-to-bumper), I had a waiver written in to the sales agreement that professional tuning would not void the warranty. I have no worries.

However, there are multiple torque options available. I think pushing the stock clutch much beyond 400-410fp is risky. There is an APR "low-torque" option as well. Once you have the APR tune, you can "flip" from high to low quickly and cheaply (I think my dealer will charge $50 if I want to alter from the high to low torque tune). I have not had any clutch slip at all, but I have heard that it can occur. The rest of the vehicle can handle the Stage 1 tune no problem.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Here's what I have now. I sold my E55 so I no longer have any fast cars.

6duPbrY.jpg

This is a 200 series Land Cruiser. I'm going to add a slight lift, steel front/rear bumpers with a winch and the exterior should be done. I'll probably move to 17" ICON wheels now that they have 5x150 options that clear the calipers. I installed that roof rack this weekend and the step sliders last weekend. It's super fun to drive offroad. It's like cheating. I may go full crazy and add onboard air with dual air lockers, but I'm not entirely sure if I'm going that route yet. I mostly got it to get to the remote, 4x4-only accessible campgrounds in the forests in the Sierras. I've already hit up 20 different lakes this summer. Most of them aren't accessible by car. The mileage is actually worse than the E55 if you can believe that.

• 1Like

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
2011_mercedes-benz_slk-class_convertible_slk350_fq_oem_2_400.jpg

Found a 2011 SLK 300 with under 24k miles on it. My last car was a busted ass '07 Honda Civic I called Eddie. Eddie was a victim of hail damage early in his life so he got named after Edward James Olmos. Now I finally have a car with a bit of power, a hard top convertible and a decent stereo for my old person music. Feels good, man.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Siliconemelons

That has to be one of the most amusing and hilarious names and reasons for a car.

I briefly had a 1984 380SL - I miss it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
I about put her into the wall because I was so used to just JAMMING the gas pedal down to even get forward momentum in Eddie.

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Fiancés car shit the bed, so went out and bought this beauty. Nice low miles and great condition and the price wasn’t too bad. Might take it down the highway this weekend when we go visit family to open it up a bit.

E14603DC-888F-4232-9559-98240C98397E.jpeg

• 2Weird Boner
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That Land Cruiser will last you 250k-300k miles with just regular maintainence. Would love to get one as a daily for my wife. But...I might get an SRT Jeep or Durango instead because they're silly.

Selling the Hellcat now. Got an M4 to get to work and back and I'm trying to decide on a project car for new kicks. GS Vette 6spd maybe, but also just went to Hot August Nights, so I sort of want something old, which would be a much longer project. HC currently has Nitto 555r in 305, but otherwise looks just like this. Pristine, hilarious fun, but the boss won't let me have every car.

Cat Bridge.jpg

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Brought the Challenger home today. I've never ridden in a performance car before, and hot damn this car fucks. I'm amazed at how quiet the damn thing is on the inside and it's pretty roomy to boot. And it just looks sexy as fuck on the outside. I drive a very nice 2017 CRV touring, but I gotta say I'm pretty damn jealous now. This Challenger's a goddamn beauty. Even nicer is it still has it's new car warranty on it which we got extended to 6 years.

FTVKl1c.jpg

unIyojP.jpg

• 4Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 4 users