What vehicle do you drive?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
What year is your S7? It seems that Audi has lots of complaints in the 2018-2019 model year for the S series that use the ZF. Their A series uses the DSG and doesn't have the problem. In fact, I'm driving an A5 loaner right now as my S5 is in the shop on the 3rd attempt to fix buzzing speakers, and imho the A5 tranny has smoother (but slower) acceleration and better low end throttle response than my S5.

Oh yeah, and the "D" drive mode is a joke. Pedal feels like mush and you wait 2 seconds to get power to the wheels.

Honestly, if I could get my 2014 S4 manual back, I would. Loved that car far more than my new S5.

the original A7 3.0 TDI Quattro was the most disappointing car I ever drove

audi has some amazing vehicles, some of them are just complete shit though, the 2.7tdi with 163bhp another one of those, fortunately they cancelled it pretty fast, no torque, no power, relatively large engine, amazingly bad in its own right

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Dude, you're not slipping, riding, or "playing" with the clutch as a matter of routine-- you do it when you need/want to, and unless you're a retard or driving your car for 20 years, you're not going to blow your clutch.

"Slipping the clutch (sometimes referred to as feathering the clutch) is a term used by automotive enthusiasts to describe when the driver alternately applies and releases the clutch to achieve some movement of the car. It's called slipping because the clutch plate will slip against the flywheel surface when such an action is performed. Slipping the clutch is known to be hard on the clutch surface due to the sliding friction created. "

yeah fuck those "automotive enthusiasts", they obviously don't know what the fuck they're talking about (being enthusiasts and all) and are obviously enthusiastic because the purpose is to destroy the clutch rather than give occasional control when needed.

I've driven manuals for 25 years, and have never had clutch problems, riding/slipping the clutch whenever I felt necessary.

pls link some movies of professional drivers "playing" the clutch

you are free to do so, but if you do it at the speeds this guy is driving at, you're ending up in the decor

power the wheels put on the road is determined by gear and RPM, not by wearing your internals because you can't drive well enough to do it properly

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
If that word offends you, you need to head on over to www.resetera.com. Not sure if they have an automotive thread or simply one dedicated to Fiat 500's, but if just the latter you stand to be a forum pioneer.

thats pretty rude coming from someone that bought a shitty S5

i'll forgive though, i'd be mad also

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
pls link some movies of professional drivers "playing" the clutch

you are free to do so, but if you do it at the speeds this guy is driving at, you're ending up in the decor

power the wheels put on the road is determined by gear and RPM, not by wearing your internals because you can't drive well enough to do it properly

Please don't listen to this, as it's just false information from master driving instructors.

1552317627433.png

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
that is beginner driver advice, you aren't supposed to lean on it after you properly learn to drive

i overestimated your ability to drive by a large margin i guess, i'm basing it on stuff like this and you are talking about a 16 year old trying to avoid an accident on a parking lot on a holiday

"its helpful to imagine something very delicate under the pedals of your car"

hilarious

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I'm not commenting the price, I'm commenting the fact you purchased a car without being aware of its drive quality. Still happy you mad though.

Anyway, link some vids of good drivers using the clutch as you described. Noone at the Nürberg is doing it, but perhaps they aren't wiki enthusiasts or beginning drivers? Perhaps you somehow mastered a secret driving technique which the general audience isn't familiar with?

Gonna stick with you retarded until further notice though.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
that is beginner driver advice, you aren't supposed to lean on it after you properly learn to drive

i overestimated your ability to drive by a large margin i guess, i'm basing it on stuff like this and you are talking about a 16 year old trying to avoid an accident on a parking lot on a holiday

"its helpful to imagine something very delicate under the pedals of your car"

hilarious

yeah, that's why they call it an "essential skill" retard. But hey, I'm glad we've moved on from it being a clutch destroyer to a "beginner skill". You're making progress Punko.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
yeah, that's why they call it an "essential skill" retard. But hey, I'm glad we've moved on from it being a clutch destroyer to a "beginner skill". You're making progress Punko.

Anyway, link some vids of good drivers using the clutch as you described. Noone at the Nürberg is doing it, but perhaps they aren't wiki enthusiasts or beginning drivers? Perhaps you somehow mastered a secret driving technique which the general audience isn't familiar with?

Here is another driver that won some amateur races, watch the footwork. Clutch is on or off, there is no halfway down. Its just an amateur though, not a wiki enthusiast.

Last edited:

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande

It's not something beneficial going around in circles doing speed laps on a race track retard. It's when you're on a steep hill, stuck in snow, taking a three point turn, etc.

"You don't know how cars work"
- Demonstrates that it's enthusiasts who use the maneuver all the time
"enthusiasts aren't pros!"

"It's beginner driver advice, professionals don't do this"
-Links advanced driving school curriculum calling it an "essential" skill
"well, annyyyywaaays, no one at Nurberg is doing it"

There are plenty of videos of drifting/riding/slipping since driving school curriculum isn't good enough for you. Which one shall I link that you won't dismiss as an "enthusiast but not pro"?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Slipping the clutch is simply a compensation for a lack of dosing throttle in the right gear.

You don't have to link me any vids that are meant to learn beginners to drive, I understand you base your point on that, and since you are a bad driver I can understand that.

Anyway, modern automatic transmissions don't allow for that bullshit, since the better ones compensate for the lack of driving skill. Enjoy them.

There isn't even a question about which is faster or more economical, since modern automatics win those across the board, you are fantasizing about some sort of magical control through manual, which drivers don't manage to translate in lap times, nor do companies manage to translate them into B2C sales in the absolutely majority of the market.

Drifting with a slipping clutch seems like a great plan, you can enjoy the extra smoke from the tranny along with that of the tires, it might bring in the fireguard early in case you crash due to reduced grip "playing".

Last edited:

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>
What year is your S7? It seems that Audi has lots of complaints in the 2018-2019 model year for the S series that use the ZF. Their A series uses the DSG and doesn't have the problem. In fact, I'm driving an A5 loaner right now as my S5 is in the shop on the 3rd attempt to fix buzzing speakers, and imho the A5 tranny has smoother (but slower) acceleration and better low end throttle response than my S5.

Oh yeah, and the "D" drive mode is a joke. Pedal feels like mush and you wait 2 seconds to get power to the wheels.

Honestly, if I could get my 2014 S4 manual back, I would. Loved that car far more than my new S5.

My S7 is a 2018. A 2014 S4 having a more responsive throttle than a 2018 S5 is not surprising to me since the 2014 was a supercharged V6 and the 2018 is a twin scroll turbo. A supercharger makes your throttle response very similar to a naturally aspirated engine, whereas a turbo will be entirely dependent on the tuning. Twin turbos are generally more responsive than single twin scroll turbos (which your S5 has) which are generally more responsive than single single scroll turbos, but again, throttle response will be entirely dependent on how the specific car was tuned.

If you mash the throttle and the car doesn't downshift, then you can blame the transmission tuning. If this is the case, you can preemptively use your paddle shifters, since that gives you more control anyway (since you complain of a lack of control). If pulling the paddle is delayed, then Audi messed up the transmission tuning and it's not ZF's fault (every manufacturer tunes their transmissions differently). If you mash the throttle and the car downshifts but takes a while to get going anyway, then it's because the engine is poorly tuned or tuned for power up high at the expense of response down low (turbo lag)

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Slipping the clutch is simply a compensation for a lack of dosing throttle in the right gear.

You don't have to link me any vids that are meant to learn beginners to drive, I understand you base your point on that, and since you are a bad driver I can understand that.

Anyway, modern automatic transmissions don't allow for that bullshit, since the better ones compensate for the lack of driving skill. Enjoy them.

There isn't even a question about which is faster or more economical, since modern automatics win those across the board, you are fantasizing about some sort of magical control through manual, which drivers don't manage to translate in lap times, nor do companies manage to translate them into B2C sales in the absolutely majority of the market.

Glad we're back to your lame comments about my driving skills rather than you trying to argue against professional driving instructors calling it an "essential" skill. Tell us about how you blew your clutch on your 20 year old Citroen again?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Glad we're back to your lame comments about my driving skills rather than you trying to argue against professional driving instructors calling it an "essential" skill. Tell us about how you blew your clutch on your 20 year old Citroen again?

You can't drive, and you can't link any professionals showing your great technique, because they don't.

It is a beginner skill meant to get people started until they learn to drive properly. Any advanced driving school teaching people it, is targeting a retarded audience. All the driving schools here offer diesels with high torque so their students can just do whatever and drive off.

Slipping the clutch is simply a compensation for a lack of dosing throttle in the right gear. That is all there is to be said.

You can't hope to rev match better manually, you can't shift as fast, you won't get the economy driving slow or pushing it, and amazingly, all this has resulted in the best lap times in the world being dominated by vehicles with an automatic gearbox with a driver shifting.

4-series does great with the ZF, maybe next time take a test drive.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
My S7 is a 2018. A 2014 S4 having a more responsive throttle than a 2018 S5 is not surprising to me since the 2014 was a supercharged V6 and the 2018 is a twin scroll turbo. A supercharger makes your throttle response very similar to a naturally aspirated engine, whereas a turbo will be entirely dependent on the tuning. Twin turbos are generally more responsive than single twin scroll turbos (which your S5 has) which are generally more responsive than single single scroll turbos, but again, throttle response will be entirely dependent on how the specific car was tuned.

If you mash the throttle and the car doesn't downshift, then you can blame the transmission tuning. If this is the case, you can preemptively use your paddle shifters, since that gives you more control anyway (since you complain of a lack of control). If pulling the paddle is delayed, then Audi messed up the transmission tuning and it's not ZF's fault (every manufacturer tunes their transmissions differently). If you mash the throttle and the car downshifts but takes a while to get going anyway, then it's because the engine is poorly tuned or tuned for power up high at the expense of response down low (turbo lag)

Yeah I should have been more clear, I'm not talking turbo lag when you mash the pedal, more of a very heavy lethargic feel at slow speeds. The pedal to acceleration ratio isn't linear or predictable-- it feels like the car only has two speeds, fast and slow. Where it is most apparent is at a stop light turning green-- keeping a steady distance from the car pulling away in front of you is very difficult-- it either pulls away, or you're about to rear end him.

Here's a thread that discusses it. Supposedly same issue on S4. Some people don't notice it at all, others it drives crazy. I'm the latter.

S5 Sportback gearbox issues- had enough - AudiWorld Forums

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Here's a thread that discusses it. Supposedly same issue on S4. Some people don't notice it at all, others it drives crazy. I'm the latter.

Did you buy new or 2nd hand?

A local company (good) offers to lift it to 430bhp stage one, so I'm guessing its reliable at least.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
You can't drive, and you can't link any professionals showing your great technique, because they don't.
Any advanced driving school teaching people it, is targeting a retarded audience. .

1) You have no clue about my driving ability, which just makes your claims sound all the more impotent
2) Yes, you know better than the driving schools Punko.

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Slipping clutch is bad, and that is the last time I'm going to state it.

You should have the gearboxed checked out. They do adapt to driver behavior, so if you bought 2nd hand, perhaps it needs more time to adjust or a reset, which might involve mechanical work.

They can also be reprogrammed, so if the mechanical part is fine you could get adjustments done to have it suit your driving style. This can make a large difference, upping the idle RPM slightly to give more torque on departure etc.