What vehicle do you drive?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Slipping clutch is bad, and that is the last time I'm going to state it.

You should have the gearboxed checked out. They do adapt to driver behavior, so if you bought 2nd hand, perhaps it needs more time to adjust or a reset, which might involve mechanical work.

They can also be reprogrammed, so if the mechanical part is fine you could get adjustments done to have it suit your driving style.

I bought it brand new-- ordered it custom since I wanted Nardo Grey. Dealer states that it drives "same as identically equipped vehicle", but that some people complain. Suspected to be something related to the torque converter this engine has and the ZF tranny and/or their efforts to meet fuel efficiency standards.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Nice color, how many miles on it?

The vw/audi emission scandal was solved with software updates, so thats nothing that can't be undone. Based on that a good tuner could update the cars software and flash the gearbox to solve it, while gaining 100 hp.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Nice color, how many miles on it?

The vw/audi emission scandal was solved with software updates, so thats nothing that can't be undone. Based on that a good tuner could update the cars software and flash the gearbox to solve it, while gaining 100 hp.

9000 miles

Well, the useless "D" mode which the car always starts in is definitely to meet fuel efficiency ratings. That drive mode is horrible-- car never lets go of 2nd gear unless you come to a complete extended stop.

Adding more HP isn't going to fix the issue and will void warranty. I ordered a pedal box which adjusts throttle response and won't void the warranty, I just haven't had a chance to install it because it requires access to the pedal throttle clip, which is hidden behind some trim I'm not brave enough to try removing on my own.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
9000 miles

Well, the useless "D" mode which the car always starts in is definitely to meet fuel efficiency ratings. That drive mode is horrible-- car never lets go of 2nd gear unless you come to a complete extended stop.

Adding more HP isn't going to fix the issue and will void warranty. I ordered a pedal box which adjusts throttle response and won't void the warranty, I just haven't had a chance to install it because it requires access to the pedal throttle clip, which is hidden behind some trim I'm not brave enough to try removing on my own.

How it shifts is entirely software based, so is a stage one update which gives the car a lot more torque at lower RPM, you don't have to get everything out of it, something like 80 hp gain out of a potential 100 is nice still, depending on your position. Mechanically it can handle it.

If its not a leased car I'd have get it tuned along with a gearbox review. I'm a euro though, and while the law doesn't allow tuning here, it doesn't allow insurances to withdraw unless they can prove a link between the increased power and the accident, which they never can.

I'm pretty sure a 428i has the same gearbox, try driving one of those, they are excellent.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
How it shifts is entirely software based, so is a stage one update which gives the car a lot more torque at lower RPM, you don't have to get everything out of it, something like 80 hp gain out of a potential 100 is nice still, depending on your position.

If its not a leased car I'd have get it tuned along with a gearbox review. I'm a euro though, and while the law doesn't allow tuning here, it doesn't allow insurances to withdraw unless they can prove a link between the increased power and the accident, which they never can.

I'm pretty sure a 428i has the same gearbox, try driving one of those, they are excellent.

I would get it tuned if it was out of warranty. If it was just the throttle response issue alone I might hold onto the car, but in the 1.5 years I've had it, it's had two airbag failures, a wiring harness failure to the dash controls, an engine thermostat failure, an auto engine start/stop malfunction (this I actually asked if it could remain broken and if they could just clear the error-- they couldn't), and has been back at least 5 times (and is there now) to insulate the speakers/sub, because the sound system is too strong for the stupid plastic speaker covers they use that resonate at certain frequencies of music. Throughout all this, they've also managed to introduce squeaks/rattles from tearing everything apart-- currently it sounds like there's a screw or ball bearing rolling across the inside of the dash whenever I take a tight turn.

Holding onto it until the end of the year and then will either trade it in for a C63 AMG, the Alfa Romeo quadrofoglio, or an RS3 (if it doesn't have the lag).

Not a fan of BMW's despite the fact I could get a manual. Had two Z4's and a 335 and I find the interiors really cheap and plasticy. The quality of the interior of my S5 is much nicer than say an M3..

• 1Like

Madikus

Knows nothing.
You fucking nerds. How about it's just more enjoyable to drive a manual for some of us?

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, no kidding. I don't give two shits about automatics being faster. I KNOW they are faster. I just think they are boring. I have one for my daily driver and my wife's car is an auto. But, I have manual cars too because they are more fun and engaging. It's like arguing that Jack Daniels is better than Blanton's because it's cheaper. Yup, it's cheaper but I don't drink it because it's not nearly as good of a whisky and my preference is taste and quality.

Thankfully, there are plenty of cars for everyone, new or used. Being 2 tenths of a second faster to 60 mph means absolutely fuck-all.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Not all automatics are created equal as well - the PDK in my wifes Porsche is fun as fuck to toy around with and much more engaging than my BMW's automatic. I loved my older BMW w/ manual tranny but don't think I'll ever go back to that as a daily driver. Too much work for not quite enough reward. Ideally, I want a used 991 911 w/ manual as a toy but am still waiting on the prices to go down to about $35-45k before buying another toy

• 1Like

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Filled out the paperwork for a 2010 Ducati Streetfighter S today. 6100 miles, with a ton of aftermarket stuff done to it. It's loud, light, and fast. The previous owner traded it in on a Monster 1200 for his wife.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
Filled out the paperwork for a 2010 Ducati Streetfighter S today. 6100 miles, with a ton of aftermarket stuff done to it. It's loud, light, and fast. The previous owner traded it in on a Monster 1200 for his wife.

Don't Die!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Aamry

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't Die!

Thanks, I'll try not to. Thankfully I'm not living in Jacksonville proper, so I can take back roads and everything for my riding days, I also bought full gear so if I do lay it down I shouldn't break myself.

• 1Like

gak

<Gold Donor>
Could anyone school me on Honda comfort/reliability ?

We'll need a new car or suv in the next couple of years and the deciding factor is how the short wife reaches the pedals, so there's a long list of vehicles for her to try that I was going to add the Honda Passport to. ( Camry, Edge/Nautilus, Q5, etc... )

( It will see a lot of snow, and the hunting roads are all gravel/mud )

h.jpg

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

We'll need a new car or suv in the next couple of years and the deciding factor is how the short wife reaches the pedals, so there's a long list of vehicles for her to try that I was going to add the Honda Passport to. ( Camry, Edge/Nautilus, Q5, etc... )

( It will see a lot of snow, and the hunting roads are all gravel/mud )

View attachment 202596

You're joking about reliability right? I don't think they can be beat on reliability and are often pushed to 200-300k miles often with neglect to maintenance. As for comfort, I'm sure it varies vehicle to vehicle.

• 1Like

gak

<Gold Donor>
Ok thanks, never owned a Honda and never researched 'em before, but the Passport put them on my radar now.

c.jpg

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone else in here own and modify WRXs?

I did when I was in college and a few years after. But, the last one I owned was a 2009 and I don't know if anything has changed since then, other than the looks. In my day, it was about power and wider tires for grip. Today I mostly see stretched/stanced retardation.

Siliconemelons

My cousin just replaced his 2013 or 14 Honda Odyssey with a new Pacifica because it suffered a bunch of broken shit that was cost prohibited to repair... I was like wtf Honda?

No idea on the "off road" capability of that new Honda SUV... but Honda "all terrain"-ness has never been that great... but their city suburb use they are top notch...well except that Odyssey apparently

• 1Like

ver_21

Molten Core Raider

I currently have a 2007 Civic and a 2013 Pilot*. I have also owned a 2011 CRV, and a bunch of other non-Hondas.

Honda AWD is not Subaru AWD, but it's good enough for most cases. Honda handling is not fun like Mazda or VAG, but it's competent.

Honda 4 cylinders are definitely reliable, though the usual mileage-related maintenance and replacement is still going to occur.

Reliability was/might-not-be not so certain with the V6s and their Variable Cylinder Management. VCM was intended to improve mileage, but it actually fouled cylinders, and its constant activation and deactivation was very noticeable and annoying while driving. The VCM problems might be fixed, but I would definitely speak with some current gen Honda owners and browse some Honda forums before getting any of their vehicles with a V6. This goes for Acura V6s, too.

Comfort-wise, I don't like our 2007 civic. It sits low, and I feel every bump in the road (not in a good handling way, either). The 2011 CRV was good, but I put a lot of miles on it in a couple years, and I suspected it was causing me some back pain. The 2013 Pilot is a tank, and super roomy and comfortable.

I have heard people complain the the CRV is not really as spacious as they expected.

Anyway, YMMV, but Hondas are generally good value. The new CRVs with the redesigned rear look pretty neat to me. There is the new Passport to check out, too. The starting prices on new Pilots is way too high, but I don't really consider making one that isn't at least EX-L AWD.

* I bought the 2013 Pilot used, with low mileage. The VCM ruined 4 of the 6 cylinders. Fortunately it is a known problem covered by an extended warranty. The fix would have been ~$4,500 out of pocket if not. I love the 2013 (boxy) Pilot now that it's fixed.

• 1Like

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Comfort is subjective though, most people couldn't live with my suspension settings but it doesn't bother me.