What vehicle do you drive?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Sledge

Trakanon Raider
I'm with Siliconemelons Siliconemelons on this. I love having a truck, but the f150s are just so huge. It won't fit in my garage, I don't think. I just don't need a truck that big. My little Ranger is perfect for my needs. It has been rock solid, giving me no trouble. I tow way over capacity, as long as you're careful with the brakes, no issues. The new Ranger is my hope to upgrade. It's bigger, but not big like an f150. I really would rather have a manual transmission, but I've been reading really good things about the 10 speed. It's more suited to a truck the size of a Ranger, it hasn't been spectacular in the f150.

I drove a friends Tacoma recently. It's a nice enough truck, but the sight lines suck. The hood is way higher than it needs to be. Makes a huge blind spot right in front of the truck. Just not necessary.

If you're used to a manual in a truck, you'll be disappointed in a 10 speed transmission. Very disappointed. Especially if you tow a lot. It will always be trying to keep the RPM's around 1200 for better fuel mileage. The good comments you read about those transmissions are usually from people that either haven't had a truck before, or they don't use the truck for real work.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
If you're used to a manual in a truck, you'll be disappointed in a 10 speed transmission. Very disappointed. Especially if you tow a lot. It will always be trying to keep the RPM's around 1200 for better fuel mileage. The good comments you read about those transmissions are usually from people that either haven't had a truck before, or they don't use the truck for real work.

Stop telling me shit I don't want to hear!

grumble grumble.

I may love the automatic transmission. I do drive through Chicago a lot, and the clutch foot gets mighty tired...

lurker

Vyemm Raider
My 2003

IMG_2588-M.jpg

A5150Ylee

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Seriously though, if you're looking for a full size truck, don't miss looking at the Ram. Great power/hauling, large interior, and priced below similar equipped Ford or GMs.

Siliconemelons

Tired of trying to find a Damn decent 16+ XC90 that's not busted to heck or over priced.

Cad Cad sell me your S, you need to get a new one anywho.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
"Domestic"

You know darn well what I meant. And regardless of what you posted, do you think replacement parts for a Honda Ridgeline are going to be as cheap as parts for a Ford F150? This may shock you, but they aren't. The Honda parts and work are going to be more.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yes, i know what you meant, I'm just pointing out it's an outdated notion that has fostered a lot of misplaced brand loyalty.

Not needing replacement parts every week kinda mitigates the cost situation, but I doubt there's a substantial difference regardless.

Rothir

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm betting no one here has one but I'm liking what SKorea puts out these days.

I'm a Hyundai fan. Drove a 2008 Elantra for 135k miles with basically no problems. Super reliable car. Finally got rid of it, but stayed in the same family and bought a Genesis G80. Really happy with it so far. Don't have a picture but there are plenty online.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
The new Kia SUV has a good amount of hype around it too (Telluride).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Yeah I do not like the exterior of the Kia 3rd row, but wanting to look at its Hyundai brother... also, that Genesis SUV...mmm

But really in what I want to spend and comfort etc. the XC90 still holds top billing.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yeah the M240 is a nice looking ride and it's nice to see BMW finally upgrading their interior pizzaz which imho has been behind Audi and MB for quite some time. Still is, but definitely closing the gap. My only gripe with the BMW's I owned, and I'm admittedly OCD about it, were interior rattles that developed from the hard plastics they use(d). Would drive me nuts. Though to be fair, after owning a vault silent 2014 S4, my 2018 S5 is also a rattlebox. These fucking new hard plastics they are using sound like a fucking styrofoam cooler as the car warms/cools.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I got a new Terrain last month that I'm really digging. I almost went with the new Blazer instead but really liked the Terrain a lot.

Siliconemelons

One of the first things I do when I sit in a car is start thumping and tapping things - I really hate hollow sounding compartments or cheap sounding trim... if the trim is "wood" even if its fake it can "tap" like wood not plastic if its "quality" fake wood... and well real wood...needs to have a thick enough veneer of real wood to be worth a damn and not still sound like plastic.

Door thuds when closing are very important - needs to be a solid close.

Sure my Leaf fails a lot of these tests, but my QX60 is really nice and passes almost all of it except the bottom of the plastic control panels on the steering wheel are /just/ "taller" than the leather and you can feel a sharp edge.

Having looked around at many, many SUV's I honestly do not see the /awesome/ of an Audi... its interior is not that nice... the Volvo imo blows it and almost all others away. MB is nice, BMW's I just do not fit because of the swooped out center console.

Who surprised me... Kia Sorento...that thing is solid

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
I bought a 2020 BMW M240i this last week and love it. Sold the 68 Camaro, sorry Zapatta Zapatta

Not at all surprised. Function over fashion. Classic cars will never drive as well as even a modern entry level shitbox. Owning a classic is more about nostalgia and art than it is about comfort and performance. I had a Beamer in high school for a while. It was a fun surf mobile, rather peppy for a shitbox.

BMW-2002-1635_19.jpg

Of all the German stuff I am more partial to Mercedes. They are like driving a living room down the road. I got 4 speeding tickets in 4 months driving a 90s 600SEL. You dont realize you are doing 70 in a 35 because they just float like a boat on a quiet river. Mercedes turning radius is unholy. If you cant parallel park a giant Mercedes sedan you should give up driving.

7478845-1993-mercedes-benz-600sel-std.jpg

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Not at all surprised. Function over fashion. Classic cars will never drive as well as even a modern entry level shitbox. Owning a classic is more about nostalgia and art than it is about comfort and performance. I had a Beamer in high school for a while. It was a fun surf mobile, rather peppy for a shitbox.
Yeah if I could have spent the money and time on it and not need it for daily driver I would have never sold it until the day I died but I needed something to be stable every day.

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Yeah if I could have spent the money and time on it and not need it for daily driver I would have never sold it until the day I died but I needed something to be stable every day.

Biggest problem trying to get those old cars up to the level of modern automobile is that the fundamental geometry just isn't there no matter how much money you sink in. 'Upgrades' for suspension and braking on classic rods are usually based on Mustang 2 parts. So you are going from 50s-60s tech to a whopping mid 70s performance. You can start cutting and splicing to stuff double wishbones and other 'modern' geometry in their but you are still a decade behind what is in a Ford Focus from 5 yrs ago. Electronic ignition and fuel injection are boring but reliable.

To me doing that shit it blasphemous. Leave it for what it was, a marvel of art & engineering when your dad was a kid. They arent cars, as much as a pure bred pet, they need endless amounts of love and attention, the only payoff is getting to show off.