What vehicle do you drive?

Fucker

Log Wizard
Hypothetically, a major dent was incurred directly relating to a dipshit b-fry dropping his ridiculously oversized desktop onto your rear-passenger quarter-panel. Is it cool to ask said-bro for half the repair cost?

All. You shouldn't have to ask him for it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Hypothetically, a major dent was incurred directly relating to a dipshit b-fry dropping his ridiculously oversized desktop onto your rear-passenger quarter-panel. Is it cool to ask said-bro for half the repair cost?
either full or nothing.

imo this depends on the relationship, if he's more like a real bro than an in law, just eat the cost, money always has some weird way affecting relationship, especially family.

in my case i'm tight w/ my BIL and it's 20 years, so it wouldn't even matter unless he totaled my car. Actually he did total his car i bought him when he was 18, he got tboned at an intersection and just left it, and walked away. ah the wonders of a healthy 18year old body and the strength of a japanese steel honda civic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I've already had it fixed. For a $300 deductible so it was worth getting done by professionals/BMW certified shop. The real hard part was getting the right paint color matched. They probably went through at least 6 formulas working directly with BMW to get it right. Only 15 F80 M3s were painted in Java green for the US and its not exactly a color on hand. It's a price to pay for getting an a full individual color =p.

Nice to hear.

Did they clean the car properly?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Anyone that damages my car is going to pay in full.

That being said, I quit letting people use it when the first woman that drove it to a drive through scratched both rims on drivers side, and said "it is a hard place to drive through" and thought that was a valid excuse.

ITS A FUCKING DRIVE THROUGH, HOW HARD CAN IT BE

• 1Worf

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I’m really struggling to figure out what car I want next. I have a 2012 Impreza hatch. I’ve been looking at the civic type R but it just looks 2 fast 2 furious. I want a car with some balls, as I’ve always just had boring efficient small cars. The problem is there aren’t many hatchbacks out there. If the Subaru STI came in a hatch I might consider it even though I’m not in love with the current body.

Hopefully this 400hp rumor is true and they release a hatchback again. It won’t look anything like this, their concepts are always very futuristic looking then the release is a barely modified version of their previous model.

you can test drive the 2020 legacy, it uses the same fa24 engine that the sti will be using

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

I dont know why I just watched that.

Okay, it was for her non existent cleavage.

But what she says about he CVT is how Nissan has been doing it - as Nissan has a long and storied history with CVTs in consumer cars - they have "tried" to appease the complains from auto rags, not consumers, that "it does not shift" so you got some generations of nissans that fake shift all the time, and it sucks.

The normal CVT programming - regardless of demand will just do its thing and sit you where it feels is the best power ratio...

But now, as stated in that video - if you "drive normal" or have it on ECO/NORMAL modes - it does its normal CVT thing- and keeps you in the 2-3k RPM range etc... but if you step on it, it does its "gear thing" where it spiked up RPMS then "shifts" - perhaps this is 100% asthetics and is done for "when people push it, they want gears!" or perhaps, some people with calculators figured out- normal/slow a CVT like constant curve is the best, but under harsh acceleration - a "gear like" mentality is best for performance.

boobs

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I dont know why I just watched that.

Okay, it was for her non existent cleavage.

But what she says about he CVT is how Nissan has been doing it - as Nissan has a long and storied history with CVTs in consumer cars - they have "tried" to appease the complains from auto rags, not consumers, that "it does not shift" so you got some generations of nissans that fake shift all the time, and it sucks.

The normal CVT programming - regardless of demand will just do its thing and sit you where it feels is the best power ratio...

But now, as stated in that video - if you "drive normal" or have it on ECO/NORMAL modes - it does its normal CVT thing- and keeps you in the 2-3k RPM range etc... but if you step on it, it does its "gear thing" where it spiked up RPMS then "shifts" - perhaps this is 100% asthetics and is done for "when people push it, they want gears!" or perhaps, some people with calculators figured out- normal/slow a CVT like constant curve is the best, but under harsh acceleration - a "gear like" mentality is best for performance.

boobs
i thought the storied history with cvt's was that nissan supplies nearly all the cars w/ their junk cvt, and thats why ppl hate cvt's, unless it's honda/toyota/subaru cuz they make their own.

Siliconemelons

i thought the storied history with cvt's was that nissan supplies nearly all the cars w/ their junk cvt, and thats why ppl hate cvt's, unless it's honda/toyota/subaru cuz they make their own.

Ehh the long and storied history of nissan CVT's is they are the ones that dumped decades of $$ and R&D into them and where properly stubborn in keeping on using them in most of their standard cars etc. so they suffered through the times of when the CVT may not have really been the best - but it worked... I had an 09 Murano, 12 Quest, 12 Rogue, 16 QX60 and a 13 Altima (MIL's car) - and ALL of them have different full or half-generations of CVT hardware and programming - there was a noticeable difference in all the 3.5 V6's that had them - Murano, Quest, QX60- the little i4's with them all were fairly well, Rogue and Altima - but the "bigger" cars you can deff tell that there was ALOT of refinement between those years.

So, yeah Nissan gets blasted by car rags, always... so Toyota etc. came into the game once Nissan essentially did all the work to get a "good" CVT.

10-15 years ago saying that a CVT could haul 6000 lb's with a V6 in a crossover was LULZ...but...the Pathfinder proves it.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Laugh all you guys want about Nissan and their dodgy CVT's, but they can't match Ford for their near complete incompetence when it comes to transmissions. I test drove a new F-150 a while ago, and it banged so hard coming to a stop that I thought it broke something. Their passenger car transmissions are made from old soda cans and condoms.

The unit in my almost new F-250 is solid, but I wouldn't be surprised if it started randomly giving birth to Oompa Loompas.

OTOH, the CVT in my gf's car is so smooth and trouble free that I didn't know it was a CVT.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Anybody use a dashcam? Been looking at various models but can't find one that seems to do it all. Second time in the last two years where I come back to my parked car, damaged by some loser who doesn't know how to park. The thought of catching it on camera and getting some sweet justice for once makes me feel warm inside.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anybody use a dashcam? Been looking at various models but can't find one that seems to do it all. Second time in the last two years where I come back to my parked car, damaged by some loser who doesn't know how to park. The thought of catching it on camera and getting some sweet justice for once makes me feel warm inside.
i was unhappy w/ the contour in my wifes dash cam until i did more research and the nice ones (where you watch all the dashcam footage) that is the best quality w/o going to 400 bucks is
VIOFO A119 V3 2560 x 1600P Quad HD+ Dash Camera with GPS Logger 2020 Edition

you need to hardwire the dashcam w/ VIOFO HK3 Acc 3-Wire Hardwire Cable 4 Meters for Parking Mode for A129 / A119 V3 Dash Cam instead of using the cigarette lighter (b/c most cigarette lights are not always on when car is turned off)

this will enable whats called "parking mode" it'll just record when car is turned off. the kit is also useful cuz theres a limit to how low the car battery will go b4 it cuts off, this means you can't record for a week straight, but this also means you won't come home to a dead car battery.

of course if you also want a front and rear camera solution, maybe this one then
VIOFO Dual Dash Cam A129 Duo Full HD 1080P Front and Rear Camera with GPS Wi-Fi Compact Design 2.0” LCD Display 140° Wide Angle, Emergency Recording, Parking mode, Super Capacitor,Motion Detection,WDR

and a huge memory card

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nissan is on the verge of bankruptcy. Again. The cars are "me too" and the quality is far below anything else from Asia or Europe (American cars are hit or miss; some great some trash. As always). Hopefully Nissan gets a decent CEO and they make something interesting that brings back trust in the brand.

Siliconemelons

I did not know their company was not doing so good. I know a few years ago they were poised and were pushing to out pace Honda - etc. and to me their products have been great... and I would not mind getting another one. The Murano, Quest, QX60 and Altima have all been great no with no issues and standard maintenance. I suppose the QX60 is actually the one that has had the most "issues" - but some of them were self found during oil changes and stuff... so they were things I didnt notice, or care, or whatever...maybe they would turn out later to be bigger issues so they fixed them now.

Ehh... reading up on Volvo XC90 - the forums are filled with the same IT SUCKS and ITS AWESOME tales that all the nissan forums had....soo..shrug...

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah, that can be a big problem with owner forums. Whether its positive or negative overall is hard to judge because forum goers are a vocal minority. It's rarely indicative of the truth unless its completely skewed one way or the other (then either dive in or steer clear) since in all likely hood, a forum population equates to maybe 1-2% of the total, unless its a specialized product/brand/niche; IE Bugatti, Koeniggseg, Pagani.

• 1Solidarity

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Best place I have found for Dash cam info (go to forum for cams in development):
Dashcamtalk.com

I started looking at dash cams about 6 years ago. It's the same as most tech, where the new stuff, just about to be released, will be "huge" improvement. So, I bought a cheap, high rated for the price range, $50 dash cam, 5 years ago or so, to hold me over until that mythical super dash cam hits the market. That $50 cam is now outdated and unreliable, so I need a new one soon.

Since originally buying the cheepo, I have checked back in every 4-6 months to try to keep up on the progress of that one slow developer that is known for its quality (Street Guardian).

They are about to release a duel cam system (SG9663DR) in the next 6 months that has a remote brainbox, that can be put in the glovebox. This will make it have a minimal presence on the windshield and rear window, as well as getting the electronics out of the hot Texas sun. Additionally, most (if not all) of their cams use capacitors, which is a plus, as many dash cams have batteries that can cause issues in hotter climates.

It will might have a hefty price tag, but I will probably end up getting the SG9663DR in the fall.

As an aside, those Viofo cams that Lanx linked look to be rated highly too. There is a lot of "borrowing" in these Chinese companies, so, it looks like they copied Street Guardian's design.

Direct link to forum thread for the Street Guardian SG9663DR (the owner is very active on those forums):

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Best place I have found for Dash cam info (go to forum for cams in development):
Dashcamtalk.com

I started looking at dash cams about 6 years ago. It's the same as most tech, where the new stuff, just about to be released, will be "huge" improvement. So, I bought a cheap, high rated for the price range, $50 dash cam, 5 years ago or so, to hold me over until that mythical super dash cam hits the market. That $50 cam is now outdated and unreliable, so I need a new one soon.

Since originally buying the cheepo, I have checked back in every 4-6 months to try to keep up on the progress of that one slow developer that is known for its quality (Street Guardian).

They are about to release a duel cam system (SG9663DR) in the next 6 months that has a remote brainbox, that can be put in the glovebox. This will make it have a minimal presence on the windshield and rear window, as well as getting the electronics out of the hot Texas sun. Additionally, most (if not all) of their cams use capacitors, which is a plus, as many dash cams have batteries that can cause issues in hotter climates.

It will might have a hefty price tag, but I will probably end up getting the SG9663DR in the fall.

As an aside, those Viofo cams that Lanx linked look to be rated highly too. There is a lot of "borrowing" in these Chinese companies, so, it looks like they copied Street Guardian's design.

Direct link to forum thread for the Street Guardian SG9663DR (the owner is very active on those forums):
yea the viofo cams are the darlings of reddit, thats where i see all the cool dash cam crashes and then ppl go, "damn thats a good dash cam, i gotta get me that one!!!"

viofo just came out w/ a new 4k dual cam model, but ppl say it's iffy (which is why i didn't link it), i mean it took until version3 for the viofo b4 it was thought of as super amazing for $100ish

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
yea the viofo cams are the darlings of reddit, thats where i see all the cool dash cam crashes and then ppl go, "damn thats a good dash cam, i gotta get me that one!!!"

viofo just came out w/ a new 4k dual cam model, but ppl say it's iffy (which is why i didn't link it), i mean it took until version3 for the viofo b4 it was thought of as super amazing for $100ish

For the resolutions, dash cams have the same problems as security cams, the better the daylight definition, the worse the nighttime quality gets. Something about the smaller the pixel, the less light it gets, and eventually, the processor just sees black. Also, I couldn't imagine the file size of a 4k cam, even with x265 encode, you are looking at GBs per hour and x265 has it's own issues with how it ditches pixels to lower the file size.

I have a 1080 and a 1440 security cam, and the 1080 is the better night cam. The nice thing about a home cam is that you can throw up flood lights to improve the higher definition camera's nighttime quality (it just stays in daytime mode). Home/business security cams also use stacks of cheap HDDs, so the bigger file sizes aren't as much as an issue.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
For the resolutions, dash cams have the same problems as security cams, the better the daylight definition, the worse the nighttime quality gets. Something about the smaller the pixel, the less light it gets, and eventually, the processor just sees black. Also, I couldn't imagine the file size of a 4k cam, even with x265 encode, you are looking at GBs per hour and x265 has it's own issues with how it ditches pixels to lower the file size.

I have a 1080 and a 1440 security cam, and the 1080 is the better night cam. The nice thing about a home cam is that you can throw up flood lights to improve the higher definition camera's nighttime quality (it just stays in daytime mode). Home/business security cams also use stacks of cheap HDDs, so the bigger file sizes aren't as much as an issue.
yea as resolutions increase and you write and rewrite a heck of a lot more, youre gonna need to get a "high endurance" sd card which extends the amount of rewrites in the sd, i have no idea to what, i just know i have one cuz of it.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Thanks for the feedback. Based on my research to date the main issues have been a combo of:

1) Uses USB power and a battery for when the car is off, but battery overheats in hot climate (here in Texas for example)
2) Uses hardwire for constant power, even when car is off, but jacking into the cars circuitry just kinda sounds scary.. I've also heard about a lot of buggy inconsistencies with this function. Plus, hiding all the wires..
3) No cellular function. Something happens to your car and you won't immediately know about it

I was looking at the OwlCam at one point, but looks like they've been bought out and suspended sales. What was cool about these is that all power and parking mode functionality was provided through a single cable that plugged into the OBD of the car, and it had support for LTE for both live view and immediate alerts. Camera basically has a SIM card. However, after looking at reviews, it got a lot of things right like the ODB/LTE, but a lack of cloud storage and a delay in sending alerts were big issues.

Last edited: