What vehicle do you drive?

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I took the dual clutch bwm M2 instead of the manual one with rev matching, and somewhat regret this.

I wouldn't daily drive anything manual given the current state of automatic gearboxes.

Watch this guy drive an automatic M4.

Hard to say its holding him back. When the tire pressure monitor alert pops up, you know you are driving properly.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Put a new intake and Hondata software on my 2017 Civic Hatch EXL, very impressed with the results.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I took the dual clutch bwm M2 instead of the manual one with rev matching, and somewhat regret this.

Rightfully so. It took me a couple of months to find my M3 in a fun color with a manual. It makes every drive more engaging and fun (for me). Now, I'm having the same problem finding a fun car with a manual instead of PDK, which to me completely defeats the purpose of a fun car.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I wouldn't daily drive anything manual given the current state of automatic gearboxes.

Hard to say its holding him back. When the tire pressure monitor alert pops up, you know you are driving properly.

Yes, of course its faster on the track. But on the street its boring and lazy to drive an auto. However, that's what most people want; easy and lazy.

• 1Like

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Yes, of course its faster on the track. But on the street its boring and lazy to drive an auto. However, that's what most people want; easy and lazy.

I think he could do better with a manual. Because he is an exceptional driver, that guy might be able to.

I was enthusiast about manuals before, but I had a job which involved spending at least 2x 40 minutes a day in a traffic jam.

Wasn't skipping leg day on left leg any day of the working week, pumping clutch got real old.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider

I drive my car mostly for work and I get to decide when to leave, so I can bypass any traffic jam. I just miss the "kick" you get from doing the manoeuvre yourself.

• 1Solidarity

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think he could do better with a manual. Because he is an exceptional driver, that guy might be able to.

I was enthusiast about manuals before, but I had a job which involved spending at least 2x 40 minutes a day in a traffic jam.

Wasn't skipping leg day on left leg any day of the working week, pumping clutch got real old.

I felt that way when I lived in SoCal and had to deal with the 99, 5, and 15. That state was awful for traffic. But, those late nights or weekends when it was a drive for fun made it worth it.

Being able to drive the Ring is a bucket list item for me. I'd take a minivan around there just for the experience.

• 1Solidarity

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Being able to drive the Ring is a bucket list item for me. I'd take a minivan around there just for the experience.

It is kind of nerve-wrecking.

If you rent a car there, insurance is limited to € 10.000, your own insurance won't cover you on a track.

You don't want to crash into a 200k car. Even totaling a cheaper rental like a 140i is going to result in a 30k bill, if you don't get injured.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, my whole point was that I can accelerate as quick as anything else, but it just feels different. It's stll 475 hp and 1050 ftlb torque! I was just curious if diesels power curves are way diff??

It's just the typical diesel torque curve, starts low, peaks high but falls off quickly, usually the party's over by 3000-3500rpm. There's very little point in downshifiting one/two gears because the engine would just end up outside the power band. Ride that torque wave. I go weeks without going above 3500 rpm and it's not because I drive slow.

Pic related: currently driving a 2018 530d.

1602610752666.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
It's just the typical diesel torque curve, starts low, peaks high but falls off quickly, usually the party's over by 3000-3500rpm. There's very little point in downshifiting one/two gears because the engine would just end up outside the power band. Ride that torque wave. I go weeks without going above 3500 rpm and it's not because I drive slow.

Pic related: currently driving a 2018 530d.

View attachment 309847

Modern diesels like that are very comfortable to drive and offer good performance.

Audi made their S4 diesels, in order to meet emission norms across the label.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm

This damn video has me looking at jags over my original lusting over a 370z. That sound and little nicer interior.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I like the V6 one.

It sounds really nice, has decent economy and performance, the interior is good and can't go wrong with modern ZF gearbox.

Sludig

Went and looked at one. Wife and I think are sold on one, certainly seems to be price jump on the v8 between 15/16 (addition of awd)

Out of all places a car max had one. I might have jumped at buying, except prior owner, 2015, 20k ish miles.... heavy smoker/pot smoker. Clothes smelled after just sitting in it. Many surfaces were grimy to both touch and look. They did their cheap clean up but I think saving the car would take ozone and a lot of elbow grease. One wheel was curbed hard, chrome tips were neglected and blackened heavy. Depressing seeing something like that fucked up, funnier still was the price was not at all commensurate with condition.

Need to pump the brakes and wait till next year while watching for the right deal. I saw it after the savage video so I bet there's a few getting snapped up as a result.

I agree the 6 sounds pretty good, but wife is really sold by sound on the 8 and if nothing else "merica" fuck yeah to fuel economy etc. I actually said 16 city mpg, bet I could get under 10.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Went and looked at one. Wife and I think are sold on one, certainly seems to be price jump on the v8 between 15/16 (addition of awd)

Out of all places a car max had one. I might have jumped at buying, except prior owner, 2015, 20k ish miles.... heavy smoker/pot smoker. Clothes smelled after just sitting in it. Many surfaces were grimy to both touch and look. They did their cheap clean up but I think saving the car would take ozone and a lot of elbow grease. One wheel was curbed hard, chrome tips were neglected and blackened heavy. Depressing seeing something like that fucked up, funnier still was the price was not at all commensurate with condition.

Need to pump the brakes and wait till next year while watching for the right deal. I saw it after the savage video so I bet there's a few getting snapped up as a result.

I agree the 6 sounds pretty good, but wife is really sold by sound on the 8 and if nothing else "merica" fuck yeah to fuel economy etc. I actually said 16 city mpg, bet I could get under 10.

Don't get a car like that at Carmax. It's been abused. Find a nicer example that's been taken care of and ideally has a maintenance history. RWD V8 is also more fun than AWD V8, unless you just want to drag from stop lights. GL on finding a clean one. It's a beautiful car, sounds incredible, and is fast/luxurious.

Sludig

Don't get a car like that at Carmax. It's been abused. Find a nicer example that's been taken care of and ideally has a maintenance history. RWD V8 is also more fun than AWD V8, unless you just want to drag from stop lights. GL on finding a clean one. It's a beautiful car, sounds incredible, and is fast/luxurious.
I need to read more, but the E awd I thought could be turned off easy. But then again I've never ridden anything that was a performance vehicle rwd only, I figured it would be nice to help avoid me going into a tree since I don't track. I took my VW R32 pretty aggressively but it's been a long time and it was AWD. Jumping into >500hp may be a bad idea given on my kawasaki H2 I love to do the frontage road 35mph S curve near me at 90mph. Then again highways are all straight, so maybe a drag car is all I want anyways lol.

I'm not above flying out of state will help, though after seeing this trashed one that took inspection first hand, maybe not. Just need to wait patiently for the ideal one. (And finish clearing garage space as my wife ditches her old car and maybe sells the Rally to make room for the jag.)

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I've got $30k burning a hole in my pocket to buy a classic vehicle next year and for the life of me I can't figure out what. I'm thinking next year because I'm waiting to see what happens if the economy shits the bed and prices on everything drop.

I kinda want a Land Cruiser FJ80. I kinda want a 60's Mustang (ideally with a crate motor.) I kinda want a Triumph TR6. Maybe an old F100. Maybe another classic muscle car. Then I've thought about buying a 2005ish Lotus Elise. Something unique, something fun. Not a primary car. Suggestions? I'm so torn. I live in NorCal so the Land Cruiser would get some real world camping use and stuff, but on a weekly basis I'd actually get more use out of a fun old sporty-car.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well, those all sound like fun options. But, what you're asking is akin to: "I'm hungry, what food should I eat?". It's a pretty broad question.

What do you want to do with your classic? Ready to go, or something you have to restore for a while? Cruiser, or sports car? How, when, where, and why?

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I need to read more, but the E awd I thought could be turned off easy. But then again I've never ridden anything that was a performance vehicle rwd only, I figured it would be nice to help avoid me going into a tree since I don't track. I took my VW R32 pretty aggressively but it's been a long time and it was AWD. Jumping into >500hp may be a bad idea given on my kawasaki H2 I love to do the frontage road 35mph S curve near me at 90mph. Then again highways are all straight, so maybe a drag car is all I want anyways lol.

I'm not above flying out of state will help, though after seeing this trashed one that took inspection first hand, maybe not. Just need to wait patiently for the ideal one. (And finish clearing garage space as my wife ditches her old car and maybe sells the Rally to make room for the jag.)

RWD isn't an issue if you have somewhat decent roads and light winters (low to no snow) along with proper tires.