What vehicle do you drive?

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Well, those all sound like fun options. But, what you're asking is akin to: "I'm hungry, what food should I eat?". It's a pretty broad question.

What do you want to do with your classic? Ready to go, or something you have to restore for a while? Cruiser, or sports car? How, when, where, and why?

Oh, yeah, it's a ridiculous question by all means, way too broad. Classic car prices have seemed to skyrocket lately too, seems really bad compared to a handful of years ago. Definitely ready to go, no work needed. Sporty car. Not a daily driver, just something to take out for fun.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Oh, yeah, it's a ridiculous question by all means, way too broad. Classic car prices have seemed to skyrocket lately too, seems really bad compared to a handful of years ago. Definitely ready to go, no work needed. Sporty car. Not a daily driver, just something to take out for fun.

Starting from your other post, between a Classic and a modern Lotus; I wouldn't think of a full restored classic car as a performance vehicle unless it is in a straight line. You buy them for looks and there are a ton of nice looking old cars. Take your time to find a handful of models you think look "neat" and then start shopping those. Take +-6 months to make a lists of the prices you find and get a running average, so you don't get ripped off. Barrett-Jackson might keep a log of their sale prices, and, if so, it would be a good place to start.

If you want something for performance and fun to drive around corners in the $30K price range, it will be hard to beat a used (2005 or newer) Porsche, Lotus, BMW, or Z06/Vette. Hell, you might even be able to score a GT-R from a private party, as a quick search showed a 2009 from a dealer for $47k, which means they probably payed high 30s.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Consider a convertible, there's nothing quite like driving a convertible through a beautiful area or even on a warm summer night. Since most are bought as fun side cars, there's usually a good supply of well cared for, low mile cars and if you use yours the same way it will keep its value fairly well.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Any thoughts? Seems a little cheaper than most R v8's I've seen amongst the locals, seems to have most of the little sub packages so it's not stripped. Assuming it's mostly just the 40k miles vs other 15's being closer to 20k ish. 47k still puts it a bit high by a KBB of 42-45.

Burns

Any thoughts? Seems a little cheaper than most R v8's I've seen amongst the locals, seems to have most of the little sub packages so it's not stripped. Assuming it's mostly just the 40k miles vs other 15's being closer to 20k ish. 47k still puts it a bit high by a KBB of 42-45.

40,000 miles in 5 years probably means it was a daily driver. I would not knowingly buy a used car that had be driven in winter salt slush, which Denver has a lot of. If you aren't going to keep it for more then 5 years, the extra wear that salt causes might not become an issue, though.

As for the price from a dealer, the best you can hope for is a fair price, never a good deal (unless you are friends with the owner).

Last edited:

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Keep an open mind that cars like this are coming into some serious maintenance requirements and upkeep which is why a lot of people drop them years 3 and 4 (just about every high-end European car in the $75K and higher range). They bought them or leased them for the badge but can't necessarily afford to keep the car healthy. I would suggest you research what the 30k, 45k, and 60k mile requirements are (and if the car is out of warranty, what the reliability history of the model is). Might save you a nasty surprise and a several thousand dollar bill.

Also, fuck cars driven in areas with salt, lol.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Car started off in MO, spent a couple years in texas then made it's way here. Theyve changed it up a few times, but for the most part I thought we use chemicals more than salt like the north east. Rust issues from the TATA sourced steel I did pick up as something to check for. Been diving into as many posts and vids about reliability and issues. Some quirks here and there but seems fairly benign outside of an issue with some hoses etc coming loose to watch for and the biggest one being people losing the rear differential is the biggest though it sounds like that may be ameliorated with frequent fluid changes and not trying to drive it like on a track.

I may be back to mr original premise of sometime next year as much as I'd like to hope to score a better deal end of year on taxable inventory. Wifes expenses are seperate and would have been chipping in. But come to find out she's running a bit leaner than I knew from some medical stuff that grew a bit bigger than forecast paired with her already paying for college and needing to replace her car with some thing practical.

Burns

It is hard to tell what salts are used where, without looking up every jurisdiction, since there are various de-icers available (corrosive ones seem to be the cheapest). Calcium Chloride (CaCl2) was listed as the most corrosive and what is often used in some New England states.

Since you live up north, the car will be in the shit eventually and the cost of extra maintenance on a used northern car is still going to be much cheaper than buying new, 99% of the time.

The F-Type R would be considered a sports car, no? The sports car market hits bottom around January and February (at least, in relatively normal years). The longer you wait, the more informed you can become; I would keep watching and taking notes (copy/paste into excel with date/year/miles/price worked great for me). Don't forget to also start looking into shipping and loan options, so you know what the all in price should be, for non-local purchases. Banks can be tricky if you do a private party purchase from out of state.

Chart I found for various De-Icers in use:

ProductLowest Effective
Temperature (°F)
CorrosiveAquatic
Toxicity
Environmental
Factors
rock salt (NaCl)20yesmediumtree damage
potassium chloride (KCl)12yeshighK fertilizer
magnesium chloride (MgCl2)5yeshighadds Mg to soil
calcium chloride (CaCl2)-25extremelymediumadds Ca to soil
calcium magnesium acetate (C8H12CaMgO8)0noindirectlowers aquatic O2
potassium acetate (CH3CO2K)-15noindirectlowers aquatic O2
urea (CH4N2O)15noindirectN fertilizer
sand--noindirectsediments
Deicer Chemicals

Note that sodium chloride, potassium chloride, magnesium chloride, and calcium chloride are all chemically "salts," so any of them could be correctly termed "road salt." The chemicals listed as corrosive may damage concrete, vehicles, and other structures.

Last edited:

fris

Blackwing Lair Raider
what recommendations do y'all have for a 2nd 'fun and cheap' vehicle? i'm old enough for a mid-life crisis, young enough that if i act soon i can get a 2nd one down the road.

i'm looking at cheap convertibles or jeep/bronco. i see the occasional Scout, but they seem to usually need a good bit of work. i've changed oil and headlamps, no other real auto-work. trying to stay under $5k. I'm looking at a '73 triumph for ~ $2k. I don't need AC or radio, but don't want something that'll need $5k of repair before I can just tool around on the weekends.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
With that budget, I'd say Miata or Wrangler. Once purchased, the sky is the limit on modifications to suit you because of how popular the platforms are. And, maintenance will be a breeze.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Was leaving my office a couple weeks ago and accelerated onto the main road and heard a "POP!". Car lost almost all acceleration and went into limp mode. Got home and looked under the hood, the charge pipe for the turbo burst apart at the connection to the engine block. Annoying that BMW uses a shitty plastic connection in a high pressure piece like that. Apparently it's a very common problem with the M2. Dealership replaced it quickly, but once warranty is up at the end of the year, I think an aftermarket pipe is on my to-do list.

Burns

I mean

If you're a woman

Not sure if serious, but...

The Miata is purportedly one of the best entry level track cars. It is cheap to purchase, maintain, fix, and upgrade. A 2000 lbs curb weight and 50/50 weight ratio help to mitigate understeer or oversteer by driver error. It has enough horsepower to have fun in the corners, but not enough to get a novice driver in too much trouble.

Due to its popularity as a track car, there is a huge body of work to reference, in regards to the car, as well. Go out to any popular track day at your local race track, and you will see a bunch of Miatas.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

The Miata is purportedly one of the best entry level track cars. It is cheap to purchase, maintain, fix, and upgrade. A 2000 lbs curb weight and 50/50 weight ratio help to mitigate understeer or oversteer by driver error. It has enough horsepower to have fun in the corners, but not enough to get a novice driver in too much trouble.

Due to its popularity as a track car, there is a huge body of work to reference, in regards to the car, as well. Go out to any popular track day at your local race track, and you will see a bunch of Miatas.
donutmedia just finished a 34 eps series on upgrading a miata for the track as a weekend hobby

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>

The downside being you're a man driving a miata

• 2SJW
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
The downside being you're a man driving a miata

You say that until you're doing wheel stands in a v8 powered Monster Miata, you'd have to put the top down to make room for your erection.

In all seriousness, the new RF miata is sex. I'd buy one if I could afford it.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
FoH enjoying their Miata
Screenshot_20201101-075123_Chrome.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Screw the convertible. They're more fun to think about than to own, and I've had a couple. Up your budget a little and get this.