Molten Core Raider
Wanted something enjoyable that was also good for winters, ended up with this

carlr.jpg

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Which year, how much did you pay?

I'm currently looking for a new car as my current is an '08 that needs ~2k worth of work to be reliable again and fuck that. WRX was on my immediate shortlist cause no one makes manual gearboxes anymore. I've always bought used by the market looks fucking upsidedown right now and I think it's cheaper to buy a new 2021 than it is like a used '19-20 with a few thousand miles?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

I'm currently looking for a new car as my current is an '08 that needs ~2k worth of work to be reliable again and fuck that. WRX was on my immediate shortlist cause no one makes manual gearboxes anymore. I've always bought used by the market looks fucking upsidedown right now and I think it's cheaper to buy a new 2021 than it is like a used '19-20 with a few thousand miles?
looks like a new 2021, square fog light.

don't forget to include sti in your manual searches too, but with all wrx/sti they'll 100% be modded and upgraded and driven hard if used.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Wait a bit. 2022 WRX is going to be an all new model, should be revealed soon.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
'21 for 28 + tax. Bonkers market for used manuals really pushes you to buy new. Doesn't help that used WRXs get abused, the CVTs suck, and STI's have headgasket problems on top of that.

Wait a bit. 2022 WRX is going to be an all new model, should be revealed soon.
I'd expect a higher price + markup (yay Biden bux,) some teething issues if you wait for the new model. Supposed to be a good power boost, but I'm not exactly in need of some insane amount after driving a civic forever. Maybe it'll bring down prices on the used current gen cars.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
I'm still pimping my '18 Chrysler Pacifica Limited. God damn is this an amazing vehicle.
My last car was a '13 Mercedez C300. The car before that was an '07 Audi A4. And the Pacifica takes the cake as the best vehicle. The Audi was a ton of fun to drive, plus it was manual transmission. But it broke a lot, for no reason. It cost me a ton in constant upkeep.
The Mercedez made me feel special, but... it really wasn't amazing and ran really god damn hot. Mercedez just run warmer than other cars, but they have super OP fan systems to help out, but still...
Pacifica wins everything. It's really comfortable to drive, has decent power... I can hold 8 people. Plus there's a trunk on top of that. And honestly, the technology in it is right out of Tesla. The van is awesome.

• 1Seriously?
  • 1Like
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'd expect a higher price + markup (yay Biden bux,) some teething issues if you wait for the new model. Supposed to be a good power boost, but I'm not exactly in need of some insane amount after driving a civic forever. Maybe it'll bring down prices on the used current gen cars.
I’m expecting big markups on every new car this year really. I’m hoping this STI is just the levorg so the teething issues don’t happen but who knows. I’m not in the market for new cars but a new WRX should mean a lot more selection on used ones as people switch. I know the current gen wasn’t very well received so I’d think people with those would ditch it.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I’m expecting big markups on every new car this year really. I’m hoping this STI is just the levorg so the teething issues don’t happen but who knows. I’m not in the market for new cars but a new WRX should mean a lot more selection on used ones as people switch. I know the current gen wasn’t very well received so I’d think people with those would ditch it.
subbie dudes seem to hate this gen wrx which uses fa20 (we rocking fb20 w/o turbo), but subaru says the new fa24 addresses every issue the fa20 had.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I think I'm going to get myself a Subaru Outback. The new unit has a reputation for being a calm, quiet cruiser with capability built in.

Good price, too.

u65.jpg

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
I just reserved a Bronco, Outer Banks trim. Will I have the patience to wait until possibly 2023 to get one? Who knows. I'm hoping Ford can get things cranking.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
I needed to come here to tell a story because this is the closest I think we have to a "Car Person Thread" around here.... And I need others to feel this pain along with me.

I work in the IT sales field. Part and parcel with this is that there are a lot of account managers (i.e. salespeople) who make FAR more money than they have sense. This is one of their stories.

A guy I know found an actual, still intact, still running, 1969 Mustang with a Boss 429 in it with full documentation and MATCHING FUCKING NUMBERS! Buys it, pays a bit of a premium. At this point I'm happy for him, and looking forwards to actually getting to look at this car, and if I'm lucky we'll have a track day and he'll let me take it for a spin. (I owned a 66 Mustang coupe when I was in high school).

Then I find out he's telling people... "Yeah, and get this... I found an AMG engine I could buy so I'm going to have them put that in it instead of the 429"

Pulp Fiction Movie GIF by The Good Films

And because he sees this as his cool kid project I know there's virtually no way to save this car from his monstrous intentions. I don't think he was even listening when told "At least make sure you store that old engine somewhere since some day those matching numbers will be worth a good deal more than a mustang with an engine it was never intended to have, a completely different wiring system, dashboard, and such will be worth"

I'm still angry deep inside about this....

• 3Rustled
  • 2Worf
  • 1RAGE
Reactions: 5 users

Drajakur

Molten Core Raider
Wanted something enjoyable that was also good for winters, ended up with this

View attachment 356157
I have the same car in Black. It has been great. I live in Canada so having AWD is amazing. Really lets you enjoy the car all year round. I was originally intending to buy an STI but I decided to wait until the refresh. I will most likely buy a new STI or an RS3 in the next year. I test drove an M2 and an M3 already and the M2 is too small and the M3 is too big. The M3 with AWD that is coming out will be tempting but, man, is it expensive. Funny enough, I also went to look at getting a Mach 1 in Fighter Grey but the dealer markup was laughable (10K over list plus they only get them with every option ticked). No way I am playing M money for a glorified GT. I've also been flirting with the idea of keeping the WRX as my daily driver and buying a used 718 or 911. We will see. A friend of mine in the building has a 350R and it is fucking awesome but he has had tons of problems with it and I would never buy one. Flirted with the idea of getting a Quadrifoglio but a colleague has the base Giulia and says he can barely even drive it in the rain hah.

Last edited:

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I needed to come here to tell a story because this is the closest I think we have to a "Car Person Thread" around here.... And I need others to feel this pain along with me.

I work in the IT sales field. Part and parcel with this is that there are a lot of account managers (i.e. salespeople) who make FAR more money than they have sense. This is one of their stories.

A guy I know found an actual, still intact, still running, 1969 Mustang with a Boss 429 in it with full documentation and MATCHING FUCKING NUMBERS! Buys it, pays a bit of a premium. At this point I'm happy for him, and looking forwards to actually getting to look at this car, and if I'm lucky we'll have a track day and he'll let me take it for a spin. (I owned a 66 Mustang coupe when I was in high school).

Then I find out he's telling people... "Yeah, and get this... I found an AMG engine I could buy so I'm going to have them put that in it instead of the 429"

And because he sees this as his cool kid project I know there's virtually no way to save this car from his monstrous intentions. I don't think he was even listening when told "At least make sure you store that old engine somewhere since some day those matching numbers will be worth a good deal more than a mustang with an engine it was never intended to have, a completely different wiring system, dashboard, and such will be worth"

That has got to be one of the stupidest ideas I've heard of, in a long time. And I read this website daily.

That would absolutely RUIN that car. It will end up being an abomination. Adding a German EFI motor to an old American car can only end in a hack job.

Tell him, to his face: "You will destroy that car and I'm going to be here to tell you 'I told you so' when it happens".

Fucker

Log Wizard
That has got to be one of the stupidest ideas I've heard of, in a long time. And I read this website daily.

That would absolutely RUIN that car. It will end up being an abomination. Adding a German EFI motor to an old American car can only end in a hack job.

Tell him, to his face: "You will destroy that car and I'm going to be here to tell you 'I told you so' when it happens".
That is strange. It's not hard to make power, even with a Ford. Putting an AMG engine in there is a real head scratcher.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Sometimes there isn't anything you can do but laugh at stupid people (as long as they aren't hurting others).

Is this guy a customer or a coworker? You could be more direct with a co-worked, about such things, but with a customer its basically agree and move on (so you don't slip and unleash an angry tirade when you hear the plan).

For a co-worker, if you wanted to spend the time to try to make your point, you could dig up some comparable cars on Barrett-Jackson (or other auction sites) for similar cars. Then show him the price difference between a 429/302 Boss Mustang and just a custom 69/70 Mustang (since a Mustang with a AMG wont be a Boss anymore).

That car is 1 of 829 made that year. On Hagerty a 69 or 70 Boss 429 is estimated to be worth anywhere between $140,000 and $200,000.

I wouldn't be surprised if such an engine swap would cut the price of the car in half, or more. It would have been MUCH cheaper to buy a base model ($20,000 to $50,000) to mod it all out and make it look like a Boss. You can buy aftermarket panel/hoods and pretty much anything you want for them, from places like Classic Industries.

Hell, send Car and Driver an email and tell them his plan, so they can call him for an interview. The media always loves talking to idiots.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have the same car in Black. It has been great. I live in Canada so having AWD is amazing. Really lets you enjoy the car all year round. I was originally intending to buy an STI but I decided to wait until the refresh. I will most likely buy a new STI or an RS3 in the next year. I test drove an M2 and an M3 already and the M2 is too small and the M3 is too big. The M3 with AWD that is coming out will be tempting but, man, is it expensive. Funny enough, I also went to look at getting a Mach 1 in Fighter Grey but the dealer markup was laughable (10K over list plus they only get them with every option ticked). No way I am playing M money for a glorified GT. I've also been flirting with the idea of keeping the WRX as my daily driver and buying a used 718 or 911. We will see. A friend of mine in the building has a 350R and it is fucking awesome but he has had tons of problems with it and I would never buy one. Flirted with the idea of getting a Quadrifoglio but a colleague has the base Giulia and says he can barely even drive it in the rain hah.
You csn test drive a subbie accent if you cant test drive a 2022 sti, the accent has the fa24 engine refresh

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Sometimes there isn't anything you can do but laugh at stupid people (as long as they aren't hurting others).

Is this guy a customer or a coworker? You could be more direct with a co-worked, about such things, but with a customer its basically agree and move on (so you don't slip and unleash an angry tirade when you hear the plan).

For a co-worker, if you wanted to spend the time to try to make your point, you could dig up some comparable cars on Barrett-Jackson (or other auction sites) for similar cars. Then show him the price difference between a 429/302 Boss Mustang and just a custom 69/70 Mustang (since a Mustang with a AMG wont be a Boss anymore).

That car is 1 of 829 made that year. On Hagerty a 69 or 70 Boss 429 is estimated to be worth anywhere between $140,000 and $200,000.

I wouldn't be surprised if such an engine swap would cut the price of the car in half, or more. It would have been MUCH cheaper to buy a base model ($20,000 to $50,000) to mod it all out and make it look like a Boss. You can buy aftermarket panel/hoods and pretty much anything you want for them, from places like Classic Industries.

Hell, send Car and Driver an email and tell them his plan, so they can call him for an interview. The media always loves talking to idiots.

I'm hoping it will settle in to him, especially since his wife has been made aware of how much it will lose value with his little plan.. Although I admit this situation took me through the the entire spectrum of hearing Samuel L Jackson say Motherfucker in my head....

*finds 69 Mustang to buy*
(Proud) Motherfucker....
*Mustang has matching numbers*
(Excited) Motherfucker!
*Acquire Mustang*
(Approving) Motherfucker.
*Buys AMG aftermarket engine*
(Nervous) Motherfucker?
*decides to drop engine in Mustang
(Angry) MOTHERFUCKER?!?

Now, another scenario in my head, since I have not seen said beautiful Mustang is that he (as he's not near as much a gear head as he wants to people to believe) is thinking just a normal 69 with matching motor and not the 429. Or (and I'm desperately hoping this) he's doing a lot of big talk to puff up. But even if it's just a non-Boss 69 fastback with the 351C (or even the 302) in it, that's still a work of art to screw with.

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I've met the type and they're usually all-talk. Always seem to have an uncle that had a one-off car with a huge engine that was especially built for them by the factory, it's never there when they talk about it though. Generally they lose interest in their engine swap project after a months and buy something else.

If you want to be fast, it's pretty clear that 0-60 performance is going to be dominated by electric conversions soon (that stuff is in the pipeline already, with OEM support - expect drop-in driveline replacements).

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>

Reminds me of the people that used to write their names on their MTG cards.