What vehicle do you drive?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm really digging all these new cars coming out, and most of the ones I want or willing to spend money on are not coming to the US. Seems like we only get trucks, econo shitboxes or overpriced miatas and hot hatches. 40k for a fucking Miata RF or Veloster N, who are they targeting with this shit?

Merc hot hatch
Honda S660
Hyundai i20N
Fiesta ST

Also, what the hell is going on with the Elantra N and new Civic. Those are some ugly ass cars. I'd post images of everything but the board is acting weird.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
:trollface:Make sure you only drive it on pavement:

lol my wife wants a top end grand wagoneer and i'm like "yo that's 100k for completely new first run jeep" I'd bet it would spend it's first year in the shop, if not longer. thank god for this chip shortage fucking up their production

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
LMAO. Ford never disappoints.
Not even a month old and hard tops defective

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah as a product release engineer, that worked Ford, GM, and now Nissan dont EVER buy a first year run of a vehicle. So many times I have seen cut corners just to meet the launch date and shit like "Well fix it next year" is all too common.

• 1Solidarity

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah as a product release engineer, that worked Ford, GM, and now Nissan dont EVER buy a first year run of a vehicle. So many times I have seen cut corners just to meet the launch date and shit like "Well fix it next year" is all too common.
Well, that's been the mantra for as long as I can remember. The difference between then an now is that ALL manufacturers don't even bother to fix their shit parts...EVER.

Back then, at least they made some small attempt to fettle their vehicles over time so they wouldn't remain complete shit and wouldn't wreck their corporate credibility. They've all dispensed with that now.

Ford is the worst...by far. They've been aware of shit transmissions and god awful assembly problems for decades and have not done a single thing about it. They've been snorting the SUV/Truck crack for so long they thought they could coast on that alone. Now, they have given up on passenger cars altogether. They are going to keep selling what they have left until Hertz quits buying them.

They've let their junk transmission problem infiltrate their bread and butter trucks, and they are going to fuck themselves out of brand loyalists, too. $75k for a truck that smokes transmissions and stalls out towing a load up hill? No thanks. I had a 2018 F250 diesel that I used as a truck for hobby work, and it had an insultingly cheap interior for the price. I sold it before it became a problem, and for sure never looking at another one ever again in my life. I see a LOT of gas GMC trucks in driveways that used to have only Fords.

What's worse is that a buyer cannot depend on the reputation of any brand for putting out reliable vehicles. Toyota makes noisy shit with cheap materials and charges a fucking lot of money for them. I've ridden and driven in new Sienna, Camry, and Highlander and they were all loud, unrefined shit with trash interiors.

Honda has a long history of making nice cars, but they put that trash ZF 9-speed in their cars for so long I have to wonder what kind of glue they are sniffing. I had a Ridgeline with the 6 speed and it was ok, but I didn't drive it enough to break anything in the first 10k miles. Why didn't I drive it? Really really really shit city MPG.

I'm looking for a new car. I've excluded Europe and USA and most of Japan....just because they are happy with building shit. At this rate, I'm going to be shopping Lada. At least Lada harbors no pretense.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nahh we do changes for the entirety of the program, which is about 4 yrs now. some models even get certain refreshes every 2 yrs based on feedback. Now I only work on interiors for the better part of 20 yrs now but I have worked on sheet metal before that. And although sheetmetal does not get changed much, it still does get updates when warranted, shit like safety and performance.

On the interior front we make changes based on warranty and dealer feedback all the fucking time. Its one of the majoor things we get racked on is warranty stuff for our parts. When shit goes wrong with parts we pay the price with our own performance reviews. When some shit is breaking or not performing up to spec it does get changed, even if it means $100s of thousands of dollar hits. Sometimes my company takes a hit (tier 1 supplier) and sometimes the car manufacture pays for it, but it does get changed if warranted. Safety above all comes first.

Now this is not to say we get shit perfect. Hell inside the Instrument panel alone is thousands of components. And with the new 4 yr cycles the auto manufacturers adopted, shit gets fucked up a lot more than before because of timing. But along with this we also have better testing equipment and methods, Shit like FEA analysis tools that shit on the stuff we even had 10 yrs ago. High speed cameras that test airbag deployments and other tools like environmental chambers in which all new materials are tested in.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Nahh we do changes for the entirety of the program, which is about 4 yrs now. some models even get certain refreshes every 2 yrs based on feedback. Now I only work on interiors for the better part of 20 yrs now but I have worked on sheet metal before that. And although sheetmetal does not get changed much, it still does get updates when warranted, shit like safety and performance.

On the interior front we make changes based on warranty and dealer feedback all the fucking time. Its one of the majoor things we get racked on is warranty stuff for our parts. When shit goes wrong with parts we pay the price with our own performance reviews. When some shit is breaking or not performing up to spec it does get changed, even if it means $100s of thousands of dollar hits. Sometimes my company takes a hit (tier 1 supplier) and sometimes the car manufacture pays for it, but it does get changed if warranted. Safety above all comes first.

Now this is not to say we get shit perfect. Hell inside the Instrument panel alone is thousands of components. And with the new 4 yr cycles the auto manufacturers adopted, shit gets fucked up a lot more than before because of timing. But along with this we also have better testing equipment and methods, Shit like FEA analysis tools that shit on the stuff we even had 10 yrs ago. High speed cameras that test airbag deployments and other tools like environmental chambers in which all new materials are tested in.
ZF's problem with their 9 speed dates back to 2015...with no fixes. Nissan put it in their new 2022 Pathfinder....kek.

But then again, I am not talking about any one manufacturer unless it is FORD, but rather the level of disquality they are all content with.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL this is why I will never buy new again. I could care less about the car I drive and have not in a long fucking time. All my cars are bought and paid for and I drive them until they fall apart. I have not had a car payment in like 5 yrs now. No fucking way im paying $50-$75k for a car, lol.

One of the problems they face is the dumb cafe standards which get tighter and tighter by the year. So they try to eek out the most MPG they can from old turn of the century tech. This is why you are seeing shit like more electronics, 50 speed transmissions and other crazy shit. And along with this is of course the weight. This is why you are seeing cheap ass interiors and cars that sound like shit while driving. Its all about that weight savings in the past 20 or so years, everything to reduce weight because more weight reduced is more MPG. All in all cheaper feeling shit and just more crap to go wrong. Its no longer a mechanical puzzle but more of a cyborg with computer shit controlling every aspect of it to eek out the 1-2 more MPG.

But you will start seeing more and more EVs coming out within the next decade which hpoefully have less parts to fuck up in them. But along with EVs is a whole slew of other problems like new unproven tech with new slew of problems plus our electric grid comes to mind. But thats another discussion, lol.

Last edited:

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Must say the ZF 8-speed has been great in my 5 series, it's smooth and judging from the forums they don't seem to break much. I guess not being a transverse design like the 9 speed, packaging doesn't constrain the design as much. Maybe I'm becoming old and boring but I've learned the value in keeping it simple when it comes to cars. Get the fundamentals right and don't dress it up too much with stuff that's just going to add cost or complexity. Don't really see the point in paying for adaptive suspension to get some ride quality back that the giant train wheels with a rubber band for a tire took away.

• 2Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
ZF 8 speed in my S5 sucks ass. The low end throttle lag is just brutal, and accelerating out of a turn, or taking a turn into oncoming traffic is practically a learned art form. Meanwhile my 2014 was flawless. They clearly had to gimp things to meet emission standards.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Paid off my car this month!

2017 Civic Hatch EXL-Sense, Hondata, Mishimoto CAI.

Fun little car!

1627137903865.png

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Gamma Rays

Large sized member

I can relate:

I worked for years at a luxury boat manufacturer. One time they did a big launch of a new top of the range boat. USD $1.5 Million plus.

So they had a party for all us workers on the Friday afternoon. Prior to the official launch with invited toffs. The 'finished' boat 001 is in the water

"Go on-board and have a look around if you haven't seen it in finished trim yet"

The Marlin board at the rear was 2 inches underwater, the boat was so rear heavy. Us staff had to climb over the sides to get on to avoid getting feet wet ( boots off before you get on, shuffle around in socks - and wet socks would be terrible )

See when they're building it they are planning the best they can to get the weight balance right. But sometimes, no.

FYI the big official launch parties were held with the boat up on a cradle so it's full size and scale can be seen.

Oh and the fix for this Boat 001 . . . put a bunch of lead in the nose to bring it down.

• 1Worf

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>

This seems to be true of all the car manufacturers. Wanted to try out Tesla this time around, but heard the horror stories of the first run of the new models (panel gaps, entire roofs falling off on the new Y lol)

Went with the model S as it's been around a few years and they worked the kinks out, once it's price droped to 69,420. No complaints 8 months later, it's so solidly built that I had trouble hiding my phone charger cable under the console.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Moron

Punko

Macho Ma'am
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
ZF 8 speed in my S5 sucks ass. The low end throttle lag is just brutal, and accelerating out of a turn, or taking a turn into oncoming traffic is practically a learned art form. Meanwhile my 2014 was flawless. They clearly had to gimp things to meet emission standards.

Blame Audi, not ZF.