What vehicle do you drive?

Jesus, why would you drive a Vette 80 miles a day? Buy a cheap Civic or something for work.
I ask myself the opposite question every day. Why wouldn't I drive a Vette as a daily driver?

Do you have to sit behind the shlo-mos that leave 15 car gaps ahead of them and then have to take turns at 5mph?
Are you ridding in crappy cloth seats?
Are you unable to pass people fast enough at 60 because your car has no hp?
Is your commute boring and uninteresting?
Do you have to follow at over 5 car lengths because your car wont stop on a dime?
Do you worry about people, pissed off at your driving prowess, catching up with your slow car and beating the living shit out of you?

Well, in a Vette, you can alleviate all of these things!

wink.png

Remit_sl

shitlord
Do you worry about people, pissed off at your driving prowess, catching up with your slow car and beating the living shit out of you?

Well, in a Vette, you can alleviate all of these things!

wink.png
Never once in my life. I've brake checked numerous assholes in my life and only one has attempted to fight me. He seemed more mad when I just drove around him and left him in a cloud of black smoke while I giggled like a school girl. I can pack around all my friends and a shit load of stuff and still put down 450/750 to the wheels. Oh and get 22-24mpg. I do sometimes wish I lived somewhere I could have a nice car and not rip the front bumper off driving across town sometimes though.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I drive a truck that gets 15 mpg 90 miles each way to work every day. It's comfortable and at least once every few months I save myself a shitload of time by jus jumping a median or cutting across it on the interstate when there's been a wreck.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
'13 turbo Beetle 'Fender Edition' with a Revo stage 1 tune (now at 240-250 hp/280-290 ft-lbs tq). Wasn't looking specifically for the special edition model, it just happened to be one of the few manuals on sale in my state and was the best deal I could get, by far. Springs to kill that wheel gap, a thicker GTI rear sway, a longer clutch stop (longass clutch travel compared to our Si), some form of intake, and a short shifter and she will be perfect. Those things coming in a few weeks.

Just got back from an 8 day long road trip. Put 2400 miles on her, around 500 of those yesterday. She's been great so far at 7k miles, an improvement in every way really over the New Beetle (the pod looking ones). Faster, handles better, stops better, still has a cavernous front cabin, nicer interior, better sound system, better transmission (the Si's 6mt is still superior), better gas mileage.

in the French Quarter, New Orleans, LA:

sunburst dash:

our stock '13 Si. Dink life.

That's an interesting bug.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
That's an interesting bug.
Thanks! I get compliments and inquiries about it all the time believe it or not. Have never driven a car that garnered attention like this one. From old black dudes to rednecks in lifted trucks to the girls at the front desk of my hotel who were excited to valet it, and a half dozen other encounters. It's a happy sort of attention with a bug, which is nice. Was a 2013 model still for sale in Feb 2014, dealer was trying to get it sold, crazy price reduction. That is definitely the time to buy new, when they are trying to move old inventory after the new year, lesson learned. Paid about the same for it as we did for our civic si, which has an msrp several grand less than the bug. Guess they aren't/weren't selling well.

A very nice overlooked attribute of both beetle models is how big their front cabins are. If you're a tall/big guy that likes to own smaller cars, this is invaluable. I'm 6'1" and have to take my wallet out of my rear pocket when I drive our civic or my head hits the roof, compared to several inches of headroom in the beetles. Suspension slightly softer than a GTI's, which is perfect for me, as the bulk of this car's life is going to be spent on the interstate on long road trips. Smooth ride with large, quiet cabin and nice seats = great on trips.

Really like what you're doing with your project as well. I don't have a garage yet unfortunately, or I'd be doing something similar. Maybe in a couple of years. Would like to build up a low mileage New Beetle actually. I love those goofy little pods on wheels. I still miss my 2003 Turbo S. Survived Utah, then got me to NC. Was hard to trade her in when the time came haha.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Thanks! I get compliments and inquiries about it all the time believe it or not. Have never driven a car that garnered attention like this one. From old black dudes to rednecks in lifted trucks to the girls at the front desk of my hotel who were excited to valet it, and a half dozen other encounters. It's a happy sort of attention with a bug, which is nice. Was a 2013 model still for sale in Feb 2014, dealer was trying to get it sold, crazy price reduction. That is definitely the time to buy new, when they are trying to move old inventory after the new year, lesson learned. Paid about the same for it as we did for our civic si, which has an msrp several grand less than the bug. Guess they aren't/weren't selling well.

A very nice overlooked attribute of both beetle models is how big their front cabins are. If you're a tall/big guy that likes to own smaller cars, this is invaluable. I'm 6'1" and have to take my wallet out of my rear pocket when I drive our civic or my head hits the roof, compared to several inches of headroom in the beetles. Suspension slightly softer than a GTI's, which is perfect for me, as the bulk of this car's life is going to be spent on the interstate on long road trips. Smooth ride with large, quiet cabin and nice seats = great on trips.

Really like what you're doing with your project as well. I don't have a garage yet unfortunately, or I'd be doing something similar. Maybe in a couple of years. Would like to build up a low mileage New Beetle actually. I love those goofy little pods on wheels. I still miss my 2003 Turbo S. Survived Utah, then got me to NC. Was hard to trade her in when the time came haha.
Beetles: great cars for women and homosexual hair dressers (don't talk about power and tuning it FFS, it's a Beetle).

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Beetles: great cars for women and homosexual hair dressers (don't talk about power and tuning it FFS, it's a Beetle).
The previous Gen bug I would agree with you, but the original and the new ones are pretty cool.

Post some more pics of the interior Orcus.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm fortunate that I only have to drive about 6 miles to work each day, since I'm only getting about 16mpg. I've been contemplating trading my Z in for a BMW M or Audi, but as I get closer to selling my house I'm starting to think I'll just keep the Z and save up for a pickup truck as my second car. The Z is totally useless for anything other than driving(but it's fun!).

Orcus_sl

shitlord
The best thing about this car is how it seems to piss off morons like you. Why wouldn't I talk about tuning my beetle? It's tuned. She will be stage 2+ by next summer. I'll post an update and you can cry about that too.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
The best thing about this car is how it seems to piss off morons like you. Why wouldn't I talk about tuning my beetle? It's tuned. She will be stage 2+ by next summer. I'll post an update and you can cry about that too.
Nobody's crying. Everyone loves low displacement front wheel drive cars with flower holders. Especially bitches.

Vlett

Lord Nagafen Raider
I went from a 6 speed 2006 sentra to 2002 5 speed new beetle as a punishment for wrecking the sentra. Wife evenboughtme a set of fluffy dice.

I was driving 75+ miles a day, it was sitting in a family member's front yard for sale and paid cash. I still haven't replaced the damn thing because the front end cab space has spoiled me. We'll probably either go with the newest bug or gti to replace, but not until the upcoming holiday season.

Remit_sl

shitlord
More of a man than I. At one point in my life I contemplated a neon SRT4. Such a cheap platform to make into a fast fun car. But at the end of the day you are still driving a neon.

The previous Gen bug I would agree with you, but the original and the new ones are pretty cool.
When you aren't into those types of cars, you cant tell they even changed generations. I had to look up the previous model and then spend some time looking to even see the difference. I now understand how people get Viper and Corvette generation and trim levels mixed up! Although it is basically a Porsche, and no one but Porsche nerds can tell a Porsche apart!

I am sure it is a fun car to drive, I would suspect it to be a bit wobbly in the corners, making it easier to power slide or drift. The closer you can take a car to its limit on every day driving, the more fun it can be. Just make sure the streets are empty, so you only kill yourself if you make a mistake!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Im glad Im past the whole "car" phase in my life. Im happy to own my 2012 Impala. Great for work, great for family trips, really happy with it. $15K used with 30K miles on it. There is just so much more shit to spend money on than cars and car payments and insurance. And really no one gives a fuck what you drive. And sooner one realizes this, the sooner you will be free from spending tons of money on worthless depreciating hunks of metal and plastic that really only serve to get you from point A to point B.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
So what the shit is with women and being stupid about maintenance on cars? My special lady friend's 2010 Matrix had the warranty expiring at the end of this month. So she decided, and I agreed, that it would be a good idea to get an oil change at the dealership and see if they come across anything wrong with the car, before it expires. She's got a squeaky belt when you first start the car, the check engine light came on briefly a month or two back, and the brakes were making some noise, but otherwise the car is solid. I specifically told her, "if they say the brakes need to be done, decline, because an independent shop will be at least 20-30% cheaper, it'll save you a couple hundred bucks minimum. Just get them to give the car a once over and look in to the squeaky start and the engine light."

So yesterday I go home to meet her for lunch, and over lunch she mentions that she needs a ride to go get her car and oh by the way it sucks that she's got to come up with $1,000 to pay the oil change and brake service. I'm like "fuck me, I told you not to let them do the brakes. You just threw away a couple hundred dollars." Her response was that she didn't know or didn't remember that I'd told her that. "New rule: never, under any circumstances, let a car dealership do any work on your car unless it's under warranty. Ever. Okay?"

Chicks man.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Fuck that, Eomer doesn't fix shit. Eomer pays people to fix shit so he can make money and fuck bitches.