What vehicle do you drive?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team

Another sweet ride I'll never afford. Yes I know its that same bitch but my friend sends these too me.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If only the Japs and US autos made their cars look cool like that. Fuck as it stands they are all pretty much uggos. Jap ones and Koreans all look the same dumb overstyled BS.

Hekotat

If only the Japs and US autos made their cars look cool like that. Fuck as it stands they are all pretty much uggos. Jap ones and Koreans all look the same dumb overstyled BS.

What's been done to the new Audi RS3 is a travesty, that thing was really sexy up until 2022.

Obsidian

<Bronze Donator>

Another sweet ride I'll never afford. Yes I know its that same bitch but my friend sends these too me.

As the owner of a very expensive electric car (Taycan Turbo), I don't see how you can justify that price. It costs almost nothing to make an electric motor compared to an ICE engine. KIA can make their ev6 550 hp or whatever it is for $60k. Porsche or whoever else can amp that price up with material quality or whatever else, but there's a limit. $200k maybe is the top end in my mind for an electric car; it's just too easy to make high hp numbers in an electric, it's nothing special. In my mind the days of the hyper car with the hyper price are dead in the era of the ev

I do agree that this car looks sick as hell though

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As the owner of a very expensive electric car (Taycan Turbo), I don't see how you can justify that price. It costs almost nothing to make an electric motor compared to an ICE engine. KIA can make their ev6 550 hp or whatever it is for $60k. Porsche or whoever else can amp that price up with material quality or whatever else, but there's a limit. $200k maybe is the top end in my mind for an electric car; it's just too easy to make high hp numbers in an electric, it's nothing special. In my mind the days of the hyper car with the hyper price are dead in the era of the ev

Its not the individual manufacturing costs, its R&D (which takes years) and scale (how many are being made, sharing parts, etc.).

Hekotat

That Audi (The original) is one of my favorite looking cars of all time, I wish there were more of them so I could have had a chance at one.

As for pricing, you're right it's absolutely it's absolutely insane and it probably won't sell but a few sadly. I hope for a day where a company starts just selling good rolling chassis where you can drop in whatever you want. Old BMW, Audi, AE86, etc. in retro styling that are ready to mount LS1's or other popular options.

Prices have gotten so out of control that I have a hard time getting excited for new cars anymore. There used to be cool/good shit across the entire spectrum but those days are gone. Even the low-end options are becoming unaffordable for people like me and those are also going the way of the dodo. I wish I would have been in my 30s and 40's in the late 80s and early 90s, that seemed to be the golden age of fun, affordable, good looking cars. Now I will have to settle for i3 styling at 65k dollars when the future of EVs get here since manufacturers hire their designers out of grade school these days.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I wish I would have been in my 30s and 40's in the late 80s and early 90s, that seemed to be the golden age of fun, affordable, good looking cars. Now I will have to settle for i3 styling at 65k dollars when the future of EVs get here since manufacturers hire their designers out of grade school these days.
Your idea of fun and mine must be totally different. The late 80s and early 90s were still suffering from regulations set in the early 80s. They had absolutely horrible HP and were heavier than cars produced in the early 2000s, across all price options.

The modding scene probably stayed fairly strong for the used 60s & 70s muscle cars, but didn't really take off for anything else until the mid 90s. Adding HP to those classic used cars was also more expensive (think paying a shop to bore out the cylinders).

My 88 Trans Am had a whopping 220 HP and was stupid heavy (for a "sports" car). When I bought it used, in the late 90s, there were budget 4 door sedans with at least that, and they were about as fast in a straight line. Hell, they could probably take corners almost as well, too. But hey, I liked the way it looked, especially for the price I paid, and that has always been the most important thing for me.

Regardless, buying a new car has always been a bad choice. You can replace a lot of parts (with often superior after market ones) with the money you save verses buying new. The price of used cars is still on the decline (2.2% drop for Oct to Sept), so here's to hoping they keep plummeting.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The wholesale cost of used cars (think auctions) has dramatically declined over this year. However, the retail cost (what dealers are charging) has not changed much yet. Those fuckers are still fleecing everyone and keeping higher margins. I can't wait for the tables to turn on dealers.

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Your idea of fun and mine must be totally different. The late 80s and early 90s were still suffering from regulations set in the early 80s. They had absolutely horrible HP and were heavier than cars produced in the early 2000s, across all price options.

The modding scene probably stayed fairly strong for the used 60s & 70s muscle cars, but didn't really take off for anything else until the mid 90s. Adding HP to those classic used cars was also more expensive (think paying a shop to bore out the cylinders).

My 88 Trans Am had a whopping 220 HP and was stupid heavy (for a "sports" car). When I bought it used, in the late 90s, there were budget 4 door sedans with at least that, and they were about as fast in a straight line. Hell, they could probably take corners almost as well, too. But hey, I liked the way it looked, especially for the price I paid, and that has always been the most important thing for me.

Regardless, buying a new car has always been a bad choice. You can replace a lot of parts (with often superior after market ones) with the money you save verses buying new. The price of used cars is still on the decline (2.2% drop for Oct to Sept), so here's to hoping they keep plummeting.
Nonsense! 80's were the pinnacle of US car design!

1981-Chevrolet-Citation-X-11-Hatchback-50814-1197175273.jpg
7355884460_fbc5ebcce9_b-524404946.jpg

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Hekotat

To each their own but the 80's and 90's produced the most "fun" cars per dollar compared to today. Below is a good list of affordable cars for the time period in the US market, I did leave out the more expensive variants on purpose.

Acura Integra GSR
Acura NSX
Honda Prelude Si
Honda Prelude Si 4WS
Honda Civic Si
Honda CRX
Honda S2000
Toyota Celica GT-S
Toyota Corolla GT-S
Toyota Starlet
Toyota MR2
Toyota Supra
Mazda RX-7
Mazda Miata
Nissan SE-R
Nissan 240sx
Nissan 300zx
BMW 325
Chrysler Conquest
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Mitsubishi Starion
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
Porsche 944
Audi Sport Quattro
Volkswagen GTi
Ford Mustang GT
Chevy Camaro SS

What do we have left these days out of that list that is even close to the prices they used to be? I can only think of 2 that haven't jumped to crazy prices in the last year and even these two are getting so high in price that I even thought twice before buying one. Unless you're doing exceptionally well in life there aren't any options left.

VW GTi
Mazda Miata

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
To each their own but the 80's and 90's produced the most "fun" cars per dollar compared to today. Below is a good list of affordable cars for the time period in the US market, I did leave out the more expensive variants on purpose.

Acura Integra GSR
Acura NSX
Honda Prelude Si
Honda Prelude Si 4WS
Honda Civic Si
Honda CRX
Honda S2000
Toyota Celica GT-S
Toyota Corolla GT-S
Toyota Starlet
Toyota MR2
Toyota Supra
Mazda RX-7
Mazda Miata
Nissan SE-R
Nissan 240sx
Nissan 300zx
BMW 325
Chrysler Conquest
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Mitsubishi Starion
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
Porsche 944
Audi Sport Quattro
Volkswagen GTi
Ford Mustang GT
Chevy Camaro SS

What do we have left these days out of that list that is even close to the prices they used to be? I can only think of 2 that haven't jumped to crazy prices in the last year and even these two are getting so high in price that I even thought twice before buying one. Unless you're doing exceptionally well in life there aren't any options left.

VW GTi
Mazda Miata
I am not saying today is better, but until this COVID reaming, the late 80s and early 90s were the absolutely worst time for cars in the last 70 years. Low HP, high weight, and ugly when compared to everything else. Any car from the late 90s to the early 2010s is superior in performance per dollar amount to anything from 85 to 95, and any car from the 1950 to 1980 look better (and often have better HP, but not great handling).

I absolutely loved the way a few of those cars you listed looked (especially the 3000GT & Acura NSX), but they would still get last place in a comparable price range (when adjusted for inflation) from cars of any other time period. On looks alone, at least, it would be a much harder choice, but when factoring in performance, there would be no choice at all.

Hekotat

I am not saying today is better, but until this COVID reaming, the late 80s and early 90s were the absolutely worst time for cars in the last 70 years. Low HP, high weight, and ugly when compared to everything else. Any car from the late 90s to the early 2010s is superior in performance per dollar amount to anything from 85 to 95, and any car from the 1950 to 1980 look better (and often have better HP, but not great handling).

I absolutely loved the way a few of those cars you listed looked (especially the 3000GT & Acura NSX), but they would still get last place in a comparable price range (when adjusted for inflation) from cars of any other time period. On looks alone, at least, it would be a much harder choice, but when factoring in performance, there would be no choice at all.

And you're still only looking at the very high end of that list. We obviously have different tastes in what is fun and acceptable but I'd gladly take any car from that list today, even if they ran lie shit but had a straight body.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Acura Integra GSR
Acura NSX
Honda Prelude Si
Honda Prelude Si 4WS
Honda Civic Si
Honda CRX
Honda S2000
Toyota Celica GT-S
Toyota Corolla GT-S
Toyota Starlet
Toyota MR2
Toyota Supra
Mazda RX-7
Mazda Miata
Nissan SE-R
Nissan 240sx
Nissan 300zx
BMW 325
Chrysler Conquest
Mitsubishi Eclipse
Mitsubishi Starion
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
Porsche 944
Audi Sport Quattro
Volkswagen GTi
Ford Mustang GT
Chevy Camaro SS

VW GTi
Mazda Miata
Sir how could you leave out this gem??

1668018324376.png

• 1Seriously?
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I almost put the Fiero in there but figured I'd be ridiculed.
and rightfully so...

There were worse cars and the 80's will always have the worst car of all. Its a "what happens when you just mold plastic around a lawnmower engine and give it 4 wheels" kind of car.

1668020135867.png

Fun fact. If the Yugo were sold now it would sell for $11,000.00 in current value. That is a scary thought.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Hekotat

and rightfully so...

There were worse cars and the 80's will always have the worst car of all. Its a "what happens when you just mold plastic around a lawnmower engine and give it 4 wheels" kind of car.

View attachment 442078

Fun fact. If the Yugo were sold now it would sell for $11,000.00 in current value. That is a scary thought.

We need more sub 20k cars with the way inflation is going.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
My CA said something to the effect of 'Let's let the customer picking up their new EV leave before starting your car up, we might offend them'

1668246877049.png

• 2Like