What vehicle do you drive?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Can't comment on an A4 specifically, but with the exception of the seats/steering the interior is pretty much the same as an S4. I guess in terms of "looks" it is subjective vis a vis a 328/335, but imho the quality of the materials and fit/finish isn't. The Audis use a high quality "softish" plastic throughout the cabin that deadens noise and is scratch resistant. The 328/335 uses a hard, rigid plastic throughout the cabin that pops and squeaks, even under light finger pressure. The audi just looks/feels "tighter" all around.
Well, I didn't notice that in my 335. It didn't rattle even with coilovers and slicks on.

I have no interest in racing really (its more being able to overtake/dodge idiots for me), but I thought the S4/335 we basically neck and neck?
335 is very easy to modify to 450+hp. Mine dyno'd at 425 rear-wheel horsepower with less than $2000 in parts.

You could be right on the Audi interior, but it sounds subjective to me. Clearly a lot of people prefer the BMW interior since they both sell well and Audi to me is just as prestigious as BMW.

A 335i with fewer than $500 worth of performance parts (JB4) would deeeestroy a S4 in any kind of 20-70mph-shoot-for-the-same-lane street squabble, and out-handle it, and out brake it. It wasn't until the current models (F series) that the interiors took a huge hit in quality of materials. Now they are truly Accord/Camry level.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Well, I didn't notice that in my 335. It didn't rattle even with coilovers and slicks on.

335 is very easy to modify to 450+hp. Mine dyno'd at 425 rear-wheel horsepower with less than $2000 in parts.

You could be right on the Audi interior, but it sounds subjective to me. Clearly a lot of people prefer the BMW interior since they both sell well and Audi to me is just as prestigious as BMW.
Was your 335 a coupe? Both my 328/335's were coupes with the "sport package", and I really think the coupe creaks more than the sedan. Also, would you believe that later on after driving the sedan, it actually handled better than the coupe? The coupe seemed to have far more body roll. I also refused to replace the RFT's with normal tires since they were leases, and the RFT's definitely contributed to the harsh ride.

To be honest, I was one of those BMW bandwagoners when the point arrived in my life where I could afford that range of car. I basically test drove a BMW and a Mercedez, and decided the latter felt like an old man's car so went with the BMW. I didn't even consider Audi as it seemed to still have a stigma of "problems" held over from their earlier years. It was only when a friend got one and I rode in it that I was like "hey, this is a nice ride".

Now I have my eyes on a Jaguar F-type.. Mid-life crisis approaching.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Was your 335 a coupe? Both my 328/335's were coupes with the "sport package", and I really think the coupe creaks more than the sedan. Also, would you believe that later on after driving the sedan, it actually handled better than the coupe? The coupe seemed to have far more body roll. I also refused to replace the RFT's with normal tires since they were leases, and the RFT's definitely contributed to the harsh ride.

To be honest, I was one of those BMW bandwagoners when the point arrived in my life where I could afford that range of car. I basically test drove a BMW and a Mercedez, and decided the latter felt like an old man's car so went with the BMW. I didn't even consider Audi as it seemed to still have a stigma of "problems" held over from their earlier years. It was only when a friend got one and I rode in it that I was like "hey, this is a nice ride".

Now I have my eyes on a Jaguar F-type.. Mid-life crisis approaching.
Mine was a 2009 coupe. I ditched the RFT's like 7 days after owning the car and buying new rims. Michelin PSS cleans it up.

They don't have much body roll at all with 525f/800r springs and big ass swaybars.
biggrin.png

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
What mods sub 2k will get my 435 that much hp gain? Buying some rims and tires next week and was thinking of putting in the Mppk deal at dealer.

As for this argument, no question bmw is the stingiest, most miserly car company around. For 45k brand new you can have a reasonably equipped s3 which is fun and fast as fuck, or you can have 335 w nothing options or 328 full boat. Interior for me is a wash as car isn't daily driver - it's motorcycle replacement therapy! Finally after driving tons of cars the past few weeks, NO QUESTION the inline 6 cul bmw drivetrain was the best and its frankly not even close. I can see appeal for both types depending on function

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
What mods sub 2k will get my 435 that much hp gain? Buying some rims and tires next week and was thinking of putting in the Mppk deal at dealer.
n54Tuning.com - ER Competition 4(inch) Downpipe - F Series (1,2,3,4 Series) N55 Your #1 Source for Performance Parts for the N54/N55
+
BMW F30 F32 335i 435i N55 3.0L Performance Intake - BurgerTuning.com
+
F Series N55 JB4 BMW Performance Tuner- BurgerTuning.com
=
have fun

Don't go to the dealer with that shit installed btw

Madikus

Knows nothing.
Just rescued this 1972 Z down in San Diego. The owner was going to part it and send the remains to the boneyard. The front frame rails and a few smaller panels have some rust (mostly surface). He was convinced the car was full of cancer (which it isn't!). Spent the last month getting it prepped for new...everything. Turns out the front frame rails are only about $300 for a new set. Welding those in next week. Putting my freshly rebuilt l28et, holset hx35 and megasquirt in (hopefully later this month).

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I had a 328 coupe and it was total junk. I honestly preferred driving my girlfriend's Passat. Once I had about 10,000 miles on it, the entire dash and seat controls creaked/rattled like an old styrofoam cooler. BMW service just laughed at me and said it's a "sports car and is going to rattle", rofl.. The run flat tires were also hideous and also contributed to the rattling. If given the choice again, I would buy an Acura/VW way before a 3 series BMW. My Audi is so superior to my old 328/335 in almost every conceivable way, I can't fathom why anybody would choose a BMW over an Audi after actually driving each.
To be perfectly honest, I wanted an RS7 more than I wanted the new M6 GC. But, the Beemer ended up being quite a bit cheaper; Audi rates are pretty poor.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
To be perfectly honest, I wanted an RS7 more than I wanted the new M6 GC. But, the Beemer ended up being quite a bit cheaper; Audi rates are pretty poor.
Yeah, Audi leases at least "appear" to suck because they handle the residual calculation differently. BMW will usually vastly overestimates the residual, while Audi uses a more conservative value. On all 3 of my BMW's buying them out wasn't an option at the end of the least because the residual was FAR higher than their actual value, especially for my Z4. This is at least what I remember when I enquired about a lease on my S4 and freaked out when the monthly payment was so much higher than my almost equivalently priced BMW. I just ended up financing in the end.

The RS7 is pure sickness. Saw one the other day in white with black rims-- gorgeous. I read somewhere that the whole A7 line was basically something doodled by an Audi designer without any intention of it becoming a production or even concept car, but when someone in management saw the picture, it became an actual project. Originally, nobody at Audi had any intention of making another hatchback.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Didn't know that about the 7; interesting what designers and engineers come up with. However, if the RS6 Avant was available in the states, I'd want that more than the RS7
smile.png

Madruk: awesome find. Love old Z's and what people come up with. Matter of fact, last week on the 91 headed each out of Torrance, I saw an orange one with what sounded like a nice inline 6 under the hood; restored, lowered, good wheel and tire choice, nice interior (I had time to inspect it because traffic moves at 5 mph on the 91).

Madikus

Knows nothing.
Burren, nice! Yea the L28ET is inline 6 and just sounds amazing. After the build is done and it's running strong, I'll work on interior and exterior, but I expect it to be a ratsun for a while. I'll post some pics as I make progress, pretty excited to get the turbo in soon.

Siliconemelons

Sonatas and Genesis are very nice cars imo.

Lexus RX yet again ripped off the Murano... and because Toyota is the Apple of auto manufacturers they will get only praise as the innovators. lol

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Lexus and Toyota are both ugly and scream "old timer" to me. Honda is just boring, while Acura, particularly the TL, looks just plain weird. I'd have to say Infiniti is the only really attractive looking Japanese brand.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
People buying corolla left and right confuses me...but then again...compact sedan segments are so fucking boring atm....

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Lexus and Toyota are both ugly and scream "old timer" to me. Honda is just boring, while Acura, particularly the TL, looks just plain weird. I'd have to say Infiniti is the only really attractive looking Japanese brand.
New Civic actually looks like Honda woke up from a coma though and was like 'wait, the fuck year is it? HOLY SHIT!' They're adding more interesting models (and a new R but that's ... well we'll see).

Keeping in mind this is a concept vehicle so it will probably keep most of the major lines but lose a bunch of the 'lol wellthatis expensive!' machined parts. Kind of seems a cross between Scion and Datsun style/effect? At least they elongated the hood ever so slightly.

rrr_img_94069.jpg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
People buying corolla left and right confuses me...but then again...compact sedan segments are so fucking boring atm....
Yes, for better or worse if you want a 'compact' that doesn't look/drive like shit, you are looking at the hatch market now. Don't get me wrong, I can appreciatesomeof the hot-hatch craze from Europe, but why no one can replace something as simple as the Datsun 510 baffles me. My wallet... I mean the market is ready for the sport compact (sans hatch) to return.