What vehicle do you drive?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So FML kinda, just lost my shitty old truck to what would have been a minor fender bender involving a drunk driver who fled the scene except he had a body lift so it pushed in my grill/radiator and just a million little plastic parts/clips broke so it's totaled. The thing that kills me is I just had the brakes redone and it didn't help, if I had been in my other car I would have stopped in 8 feet flat. If it had just 'died' I probably would have replaced it with something similarly inexpensive and old, but it kind of rattled my nerves to need things like, oh I don't know, properly sized disc brakes instead of old ass drums (even fresh ones) and still end up in an accident, even as 'silly' and mitigated as it was (no airbags, it would have bounced off if it was bumper to bumper).

I don'tneedanother car but I really want a larger second vehicle. I'm thinking I will go late model this time and skip the 15 year old stuff, possibly new. I would probably go immediately for a pickup in the Ranger/Colorado size but fuck me sideways if anything approaching usable in that category hasn't gotten so expensive! It's absurd. Anyone have any suggestions to add?

I'm looking for 4x4 (more light offroad use is better),acceptableto good MPG, light towing (I am OK with 250 tongue /2K+ GVWR really for now), 4 max passengers needed, OK cargo with rear seat folded (IE, car-like crossovers can go eat a dick) and in an ideal world on the 'smaller' size for parking ease (ie, no super king lariat king ranch xl twin cab double wide body lift trucks).

I'm attempting to keep it 'reasonably' priced - lower the better obviously but most of these I can find certified/slightly used and/or get partner deals on so it may just shift model year rather than options for me.

I think my list is looking like this:

• Jeep Renegade Trailhawk (unfortunately new only but pretty much hits all the major marks)
  • Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (nice overall but gets stupid pricy real quick)
  • Nissan Xterra Pro4X (seems OK but I've never owned/driven/seen Nissans and they look like they need a refresh badly)
  • Chevy Colorado Z71 (tons of awards and all that, not sure if Z71 actually makes this capable unlike Jeep, but would clash with my Mustang)
  • LR Discovery Sport (most 'luxurious' but definitely hits most of the right marks on the list)

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Might be a bit expensive but the new Dodge Ram 1500 Diesel is pretty badass yet also economical to drive and can do everything you want:2015 Ram 1500 - Capability Performance

It's brand new though, so may be hard to find a good used one, but the MSRP for these starts around 25k, which is way lower than the bigger diesels, if you did find a used one I bet you could get a good deal. The new RAM's actually have a nice interior now too, it's not like days of old. If you got the crew cab and short bed it would still have a nice turning radius and length for parking.

Siliconemelons

So FML kinda, just lost my shitty old truck to what would have been a minor fender bender involving a drunk driver who fled the scene except he had a body lift so it pushed in my grill/radiator and just a million little plastic parts/clips broke so it's totaled. The thing that kills me is I just had the brakes redone and it didn't help, if I had been in my other car I would have stopped in 8 feet flat. If it had just 'died' I probably would have replaced it with something similarly inexpensive and old, but it kind of rattled my nerves to need things like, oh I don't know, properly sized disc brakes instead of old ass drums (even fresh ones) and still end up in an accident, even as 'silly' and mitigated as it was (no airbags, it would have bounced off if it was bumper to bumper).

I don'tneedanother car but I really want a larger second vehicle. I'm thinking I will go late model this time and skip the 15 year old stuff, possibly new. I would probably go immediately for a pickup in the Ranger/Colorado size but fuck me sideways if anything approaching usable in that category hasn't gotten so expensive! It's absurd. Anyone have any suggestions to add?

I'm looking for 4x4 (more light offroad use is better),acceptableto good MPG, light towing (I am OK with 250 tongue /2K+ GVWR really for now), 4 max passengers needed, OK cargo with rear seat folded (IE, car-like crossovers can go eat a dick) and in an ideal world on the 'smaller' size for parking ease (ie, no super king lariat king ranch xl twin cab double wide body lift trucks).

I'm attempting to keep it 'reasonably' priced - lower the better obviously but most of these I can find certified/slightly used and/or get partner deals on so it may just shift model year rather than options for me.

I think my list is looking like this:

• Jeep Renegade Trailhawk (unfortunately new only but pretty much hits all the major marks)
  • Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (nice overall but gets stupid pricy real quick)
  • Nissan Xterra Pro4X (seems OK but I've never owned/driven/seen Nissans and they look like they need a refresh badly)
  • Chevy Colorado Z71 (tons of awards and all that, not sure if Z71 actually makes this capable unlike Jeep, but would clash with my Mustang)
  • LR Discovery Sport (most 'luxurious' but definitely hits most of the right marks on the list)
While Jeep has been doing better the Renegade just screams that they are falling back into the "patriot, nitro (whatever the jeep one was called), and compass" fail- get a nice used 4x4 Grand Cherokee either current gen- or 2nd gen... skip the 3rd gen 2005?ish ones less its a rare diesel model.

A Nissan Exterra is a nice truck, it wont get as good of gas mileage as the littler rock climbers but its more of a full size truck SUV-

Without going LandRover - and money is no issue, I would go with a loaded new Grand Cherokee with 4x4 and skid plates bla bla bla-

If going used/older I would get a 2nd gen Grand Cherokee 4x4 with a modest lift and mods- get the limited model and its real nice inside etc. decent MPG and can haul or climb.

If you just want to haul crap and want a SUV- go with a decent crossover the new Pathfinder and Durango are really nice inside, 3rd row- crossover comfort but both can haul best in their class.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Auto is usually a +$4K option here and a bitch to service. I love how driving a stick is somehow a skill in the States.
I've always driven manual. Besides the obvious benefits, driving manual means that in all likelihood your gf/wife can never borrow your car. Can't remember the last time I met a woman that can drive stick.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Manager I had 7 years ago could. Mind you she started in second and then left it in third while in town and going 45mph.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I broke the shifter on my corvette in 4th gear at the racetrack, and had to drive home 200 miles towing my tire trailer stuck in 4th gear. Corvette had no issue
smile.png
And this was a heads/cam C5 Z06.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Just bought a 2015 GMC Acadia. Smoothest damn ride I've ever driven outside of a Lincoln. Might be the 18" wheels? Dunno. Also, with the windows up, the sound system is sooo fine. It's like wearing headphones.

Most of you might not consider a car like this, but having the extra size and cargo room is awesome.

Attachment 99344

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
When it comes to wheels, the smaller the wheel and the larger the tire sidewall, the better the ride. Ultimately, however, it's a combo of wheel, tire and suspension.

Siliconemelons

Just bought a 2015 GMC Acadia. Smoothest damn ride I've ever driven outside of a Lincoln. Might be the 18" wheels? Dunno. Also, with the windows up, the sound system is sooo fine. It's like wearing headphones.

Most of you might not consider a car like this, but having the extra size and cargo room is awesome.

Attachment 99344
Less rubber between rim and road usually = worse ride- my Murano was 18" and I could tell a difference in my doc's LE that had 20" - both OEM's not aftermarkets. I test drove the 1st gen arcadia (before the facelift and much needed interior revision a year or so ago) and it drove quite nice and still had a little bit of a truck feel for a FWD/AWD Crossover. Ultimately we chose a van because of damned practicality - but my Quest drives and handles much like my Murano did so its not that bad...its just a big ol man van.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
There are other practical issues with the stupid mother fucking wagon wheel fad. Hint: there's a reason track cars don't use low profile tires.

Anyway, appreciate the suggestions - unfortunately I just can't fit a full size (which is now apparently all, what the fuck) pickup/SUV. Like the Titans are cool but mother truckers aremassive, I probably couldn't even park it at work. Fuck a base F150 now is retard size. I think the Colorado is a pretty big pickup all considered but *shrug*.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are other practical issues with the stupid mother fucking wagon wheel fad. Hint: there's a reason track cars don't use low profile tires.

Anyway, appreciate the suggestions - unfortunately I just can't fit a full size (which is now apparently all, what the fuck) pickup/SUV. Like the Titans are cool but mother truckers aremassive, I probably couldn't even park it at work. Fuck a base F150 now is retard size. I think the Colorado is a pretty big pickup all considered but *shrug*.
Current light-duty, entry level trucks like the Colorado, Frontier, Tacoma, etc. are as large as the full size trucks were a decade ago. Same thing with cars; current Honda Civic is as big as the old Accord. Current Audi A4 is as big as the old A6, and on and on. People insist in having all the features and legislation around the world insists on more safety built in; it all adds up =/

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I'm about to own a minivan. Thought I would hate it, but after driving a Honda Odyssey I really didn't notice much difference driving it from most SUVs.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm about to own a minivan. Thought I would hate it, but after driving a Honda Odyssey I really didn't notice much difference driving it from most SUVs.
Most SUVs are unibodies now so... they are the same just with regular doors.

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
I want to buy a Hilux, like they destroyed on Top Gear . . . but apparently importing them is hard.

Everytime I see ISIS on the news, and they are driving 20yr old hiluxs . . . it makes me sad.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I want to buy a Hilux, like they destroyed on Top Gear . . . but apparently importing them is hard.

Everytime I see ISIS on the news, and they are driving 20yr old hiluxs . . . it makes me sad.
Well it's notthathard to import them, it's just that they're near impossible to register and use on the road. Every registered vehicle basically has to be released in the US or a close version of a vehicle released in the US that adheres to (the minimum) of US safety regs. This is under the guise of 'safety' but we all know it's the auto manufacturers desire to keep their exports out of the market because it would show just how fucking fleeced we were getting domestically for decades.

There are 'tricky' ways of doing it, such as salvage titling for replacement VIN and declaring it something similar to a US market release, being in the diplomatic corps, taking a compatible/identical US release frame and VIN and swapping a body onto it, etc.