What vehicle do you drive?

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I had a similar experience. No trade in, paid with cash. It took a whopping 8 minutes, 5 of which was me going through my own checklist to make sure there were 0 build issues.

LOVE the Model S (2021), but people are bored with Tesla fellating, so here's the downside: I'm concerned with the front suspension. Car isn't even 2 years old, and I've had to use the warranty to replace the front suspension once (different part #s, does that mean old ones had a build issue?) because it sounded like a crazy shopping cart wheel when flooring it. Then again a year later when one of them started squeaking like a 20 year old car going over speed bumps Similar to mine:

I see similar postings from other S and some X owners. o_O
MS has computer controlled air suspension. I cant see how it has issues like your describing unless you just got a lemon out of the factory.. My MX rides like its on air. I did have an issue early on where I got a very slight shimmy at 38mph. Turned out it was a setting on the suspension height.

The MX can adjust the body height automatically (as can the MS). The tech found something in a Tesla white paper and adjusted the base height setting and the shimmy disappeared.

Could be as simple as something like that.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I Car isn't even 2 years old, and I've had to use the warranty to replace the front suspension once (different part #s, does that mean old ones had a build issue?)
Tesla is constantly refining their designs. The Model S of today is quite a different mechanical animal compared to their first version.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Tesla is constantly refining their designs. The Model S of today is quite a different mechanical animal compared to their first version.
This is for model Y rear ends, but it’s a good example of the pace they’re working at.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
New inventory is actually starting to stockpile on the Tesla aggregator sites. Especially for the MS. $150k for a new MS might finally be pushing the limits. This is the first time in a couple of years I have seen all four models with new inventory available. Almost 750 used CPO is also the highest I have seen in years.

1665062464785.png

• 1Like

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
MS has computer controlled air suspension. I cant see how it has issues like your describing unless you just got a lemon out of the factory.. My MX rides like its on air. I did have an issue early on where I got a very slight shimmy at 38mph. Turned out it was a setting on the suspension height.

The MX can adjust the body height automatically (as can the MS). The tech found something in a Tesla white paper and adjusted the base height setting and the shimmy disappeared.

Could be as simple as something like that.
The air suspension just refers to the springs which are pressurized air bags instead of metal coil springs. The rest of the suspension is identically the same as a model S with normal suspension - upper control arm, lower links, ball joints, CV joints, etc.

Unless the squeaking is specifically the coil spring, there's nothing different about the air version.

• 1Like

Vepil

Gamja
<Bronze Donator>
Sigh, do I take the chance the running out of diesel is fake news and keep the 2500 or dump it for gas burner since HD trucks are hard to come by and can still get a premium for it on the used market? Fudge me man I hate vehicle shopping.

• 1Rustled

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Sigh, do I take the chance the running out of diesel is fake news and keep the 2500 or dump it for gas burner since HD trucks are hard to come by and can still get a premium for it on the used market? Fudge me man I hate vehicle shopping.
See if there are any tax breaks to convert it to propane, hydrogen, or Ethanol. Propane is easy to get and all Hydrogen requires is a electrolyzer unit to separate hydrogen from water (that you run in your garage or barn to fill up gas tanks).

Unfortunately, hydrogen fuel cells are still not getting enough research funding, and require rare earths (that China controls), so you need to use high pressure gas tanks, which take up a lot of space.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Unfortunately, hydrogen fuel cells are still not getting enough research funding, and require rare earths (that China controls), so you need to use high pressure gas tanks, which take up a lot of space.
Wat. Honda has an entire island devoted to fuel cells and hydrogen research. Their upcoming fuel cell is similar in dimensions and cost to their 4-cylinder engines. The only thing holding them back is the production of hydrogen.

Hydrogen is a GAS. It needs to be compressed in order for it to be useful in transportation. The hydrogen storage tank itself is vastly lighter, cheaper to produce, and wildly more recyclable and earth friendly than the batteries in EV cars of today.

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Wat. Honda has an entire island devoted to fuel cells and hydrogen research. Their upcoming fuel cell is similar in dimensions and cost to their 4-cylinder engines. The only thing holding them back is the production of hydrogen.

Hydrogen is a GAS. It needs to be compressed in order for it to be useful in transportation. The hydrogen storage tank itself is vastly lighter, cheaper to produce, and wildly more recyclable and earth friendly than the batteries in EV cars of today.
My understanding of it is that a Hydrogen fuel cell is chemical conversion process, where the hydrogen bonds with a compound, and becomes more stable and condensed in the cell. Then as the hydrogen is needed the bond is broken, releasing the hydrogen for the vehicle to use.

Using a tank that can take high PSI is just that, a tank, not a cell (again, as I understand it). I have not looked into any fuel cell stuff, outside of a company called United Nuclear trying (and failing/giving up) to build a conversion kit for gasoline engines.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>

How much more $$$ is it to drive a diesel truck around? I know per gallon it's more expensive than gas.

Also the 2500 is by far the top DUI truck. Is this accurate? /hides

DUI.png

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Diesel is the most common fossil fuel powering vehicles, all around the world. It's not running out. Hell, there's so much diesel, its used during drilling (for oil) to act as a coolant and lubricant, essentially throwing the diesel away. Don't listen to the politics media spin, its massively available.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I wonder what a breakdown by model year would look like.
That is an older list. The next version of the list makes it hard to see a trend in an exact car model.

What is more relevant is model year.

• Older models are more DUI-prone. Among the ten models with the highest DUI rates, six are models that have been discontinued as of 2008 at the latest (one of the six, the Acura Integra, is due to relaunch in 2023). According to the NHTSA, the age groups with the highest DUI rates are 21-24-year-olds, followed by 25-34-year-olds. Younger drivers may gravitate towards used, less expensive cars, perhaps explaining why drivers of these discontinued models have such high DUI rates.

2021-car-models-with-the-most-duis-1.png