What vehicle do you drive?

Schithede

Trakanon Raider
I'd rather sell it than deal with trying to find a workaround.
Look into VCDS and purchase a reasonably priced compatible usb to OBD cable. I bought one for my 2016 R to tweak some of the onboard computer settings and didn't have too hard of a time with it. Mine doesn't have any driver assist though so I never needed to look into that portion myself.

kazjim

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well, I was looking at swapping my Mk5 GTi (Wolfsburg) for a Mk8 R, but you guys have talked me out of it . . .
Might look for a low mileage Mk7 or 7.5 instead...
The 8 seems like a nightmare.
IMG_2252.jpeg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
All that autobrake stuff is mandatory now, no getting around it on new cars. Best you can do is find a car that doesn't implement it badly. One 5 series I had kept sounding the alarm in one particular spot on my commute. I work nights so that was always around midnight on an empty highway. Didn't always do it so I could get used to it, it did it like 1 in 10 times which made it even more random and annoying. Got another 5, same year, never does it.

It will also refuse to let you back up with the door open. When switching to winter tires I always drive the car onto some wooden ramps so I can get the jack under it. Most easily done with the door open so you can see if the tire is in the right spot on the block. This is now Verboten, it'll switch back to park if you open the door. Also can't put it in neutral and let it roll off the ramps any more, need to start engine to move car 20 inches.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
All in the name of protecting us from ourselves.

Right, I guess they didn't think much about most drivers not having the skills to control a car that slams on the brakes unexpectedly at 85mph. I probably would have ate shit had I not had the skillset I have and I probably would hurt or killed a few others.

lgarthy

<Silver Donator>
Right, I guess they didn't think much about most drivers not having the skills to control a car that slams on the brakes unexpectedly at 85mph. I probably would have ate shit had I not had the skillset I have and I probably would hurt or killed a few others.
Especially if you have always driven a clutch... We're NOT the Tesla auto-drive generation.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
Just picked this up. 1997 Suzuki JX Sport. Mechanically pretty sound but needs some help cosmetically. Bought it primarily to tow behind my RV but the 4wd will be fun when my wife and I go shooting or prospecting. More economical and handier than my pickup. Going to bedliner the bumpers and lower cladding in a sand color and leave the blue body alone for now. Really slow, 0-60 in about 15 secs but it's still a hoot to drive. Amazingly solid for a 3000lb truck. Eventually it'll get shocks and brakes but for now I have to get it ready to tow with baseplates, lights and braking system.

P1030019_1-L.jpg

2023050416433270-2036057972434561469-L.jpg

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Just picked this up. 1997 Suzuki JX Sport. Mechanically pretty sound but needs some help cosmetically. Bought it primarily to tow behind my RV but the 4wd will be fun when my wife and I go shooting or prospecting. More economical and handier than my pickup. Going to bedliner the bumpers and lower cladding in a sand color and leave the blue body alone for now. Really slow, 0-60 in about 15 secs but it's still a hoot to drive. Amazingly solid for a 3000lb truck. Eventually it'll get shocks and brakes but for now I have to get it ready to tow with baseplates, lights and braking system.

P1030019_1-L.jpg

2023050416433270-2036057972434561469-L.jpg
That is really clean for a 25+ year old vehicle. Congrats

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I've been invited back to the car auction on the 20th. Looks like it did very well last time and we will have a higher tier of cars this go around and Tim Allen and maybe even Jay Leno will be there. I believe Tim Allen plays a show that same night.

I'll post pics up after the event.

• 3Like
  • 1Wow!
Reactions: 3 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The autobrake is absolute dogshit for the hill assist. I kill it all the time because it won't disengage.

I was about to tell you about the auto-brake. I almost took out 3 cars on the highway the other day because it thought I was going to crash, I wasn't expecting it and damn near lost control. I had to pass 3 cars in the inside shoulder near the wall to keep from hitting them. It makes me not want the car.

It is fun to drive, but that auto-brake thing scared the shit out of me, I'm afraid to drive it hard. I'm thinking the same as you as far as selling it.
You guys can’t turn off the auto brake feature in the cars settings? My Outback has settings for all that, I can turn off every safety feature it has. I removed the lane assist stuff. Auto braking I left on because it actually saved me once, someone cut in front of me and it reacted faster than I did. It doesn’t sound as sensitive as yours…it has only done it once in the year + I have had it. I do have to turn it off at a car wash though cause it goes ballistic as you’re entering lol

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
So I found out that my Challenger comes with something called "Hill Start Assist". WTF uses this? Just curious if this is something you fellas use?

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's only manual vehicles that have it. My tacoma has it but I have never used it before. People that off-road say it can come in handy.

There's a nice car wash close to my house, you get out of your vehicle, go grab a coffee and snack while you watch you car get cleaned. Because my truck is manual they ask me to put the flashers on, so that staff that know how to drive will move it along the line.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
So I found out that my Challenger comes with something called "Hill Start Assist". WTF uses this? Just curious if this is something you fellas use?

Since novices don't like starting from a stop on hills, "Hill Start Assist" or "Brake Assist" keeps the brakes on when stopped, you're probably using it since it's on by default.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Its automatic and keeps the car still (brakes are on) until you move, rather than rolling back. Its seamless and useful.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users