What's going on at Blizzard?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
And that was with quite a bit of server downtime on most major servers. Archimonde was offline for like 2 whole days.

I started on Stormreaver and moved to Stormscale after a couple of days of downtime... turned out to be a mistake since Stormscale was a low pop hellhole but Stormreaver was an unstable impossible to play POS for the first few days.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Xenif on Stormreaver, a Troll Rogue who apparently stopped playing at level 63, dinged December 3rd, 2004.

Blizzard Entertainment released WoW on November 23, 2004.

10 days

Rank Character Level Server Race Class Guild
1 Khand 48 Zul'jin Undead Mage Blood Reign
2 Rend 47 Zul'jin Night Elf Warrior Avatar of War
3 Asana 46 Zul'jin Orc Hunter Pavor Nocturnus
4 Scotsman 45 Zul'jin Undead Mage Dark Alliance
5 Shoikan 45 Zul'jin Troll Hunter Dark Alliance
6 Terik 45 Zul'jin Undead Warlock OSW Horde
7 Zarcath 45 Zul'jin Troll Hunter Transcendence
8 Skanda 44 Zul'jin Troll Hunter Blood Reign
9 Stizz 44 Zul'jin Human Paladin Otisville Renegades
10 Brahma 43 Zul'jin Tauren Warrior Blood Reign
11 Jinny 43 Zul'jin Troll Priest Blood Reign
12 Meanpanda 43 Zul'jin Night Elf Rogue Otisville Renegades
13 Rog 43 Zul'jin Undead Warrior Blood Reign
14 Syrenic 43 Zul'jin Gnome Rogue Otisville Renegades
15 Thi 43 Zul'jin Gnome Warrior Otisville Renegades
16 Iceyx 42 Zul'jin Undead Rogue OSW Horde
17 Maniak 42 Zul'jin Orc Rogue Untold Prophecy
18 Shanks 42 Zul'jin Human Rogue Avatar of War
19 Srether 42 Zul'jin Gnome Warlock Avatar of War
20 Velsa 42 Zul'jin Troll Shaman Transcendence
21 Boog 41 Zul'jin Tauren Warrior Transcendence
22 Broodthorn 41 Zul'jin Orc Warrior Untold Prophecy
23 Colloidal 41 Zul'jin Tauren Druid Dark Alliance
24 Elmdor 41 Zul'jin Human Paladin Machin Shin
25 Neferius 41 Zul'jin Undead Mage Untold Prophecy

That was the list on Zul'Jin on Dec 6th. It was no where close to 23 days to cap if you were involved in the level race back then.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
That was the list on Zul'Jin on Dec 6th. It was no where close to 23 days to cap if you were involved in the level race back then.

We know, and had Wooly actually been involved in server firsts he'd know that, so, conclusion is he's full of shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Yea. I was no where close to being the first 60 on Doomhammer, but I feel like O was cap within a month. I was one of the few people to get epic riding on the server. Dat sweet sweet ivory raptor.

Sad I sold the acct and just use a new one. Would rock that mount until eternity with the newer mount system.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
(The Kirin Tor puzzle boxes are cool).
Kirin Tor is the only rep I might not do on the same day. "The Magic of Flight" has the bubbles not always showing up correctly, which makes it horrible. The maze box is ok (my mid-50s memory is not shot yet), and the leyline racing is fun.

Basically, reusing normal quest scripts and turning them into dailies, plus the occasional non-leveling script is golden; it allows them to generate cheaply hundreds of dailies for max level. Whoever had that idea is a genius.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Basically, reusing normal quest scripts and turning them into dailies, plus the occasional non-leveling script is golden; it allows them to generate cheaply hundreds of dailies for max level. Whoever had that idea is a genius.

I have the opposite reaction. It's all the same shit I did while leveling, over and over and over again. And then I get to re-live those quests even more when I level an alt. Hurrah?

I hate dailies and WQs are just dailies in a different dress. Fuck Blizzard's artificial time gating.

• 1Like

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Dat sweet sweet ivory raptor.

I still get tells asking about mine every once in a while. I totally refused to turn it in back in the day once they added armor to the raptors.

They added one to Archaeology that looks nearly the same so most people these days don't even realize anymore.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I have the opposite reaction. It's all the same shit I did while leveling, over and over and over again. And then I get to re-live those quests even more when I level an alt. Hurrah?

I hate dailies and WQs are just dailies in a different dress. Fuck Blizzard's artificial time gating.
This. Let me run mythics (+) dungeons for mah rep

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
Nobody said WoW was easy. There were a few imbalanced classes, like Hunters, which didn't have problems but it wasn't easy. Group wipes were really fucking common, even among the best players. People dying was really, really common.

Buuuuuuullshit. One of the biggest complaints previous MMO players made about WoW at release was that it was too easy, catered to casual players and didn't have the challenge of games like EQ. It was a huge discussion for a long time.

Either your memory is faulty or you were reading very different forums than I was in 2004.

It's a matter of taste I guess but I always wonder what people disliked about leveling in MoP. It think it was *far* better then Cata and the old world revamp which suffered greatly from too many pop culture references and phasing/empty-areas-if-not-on-right-quest and linearity. The new 1-60 felt less like a world then pre-cata in a bad way. On the other hand with Pandaria they nailed their theme (mix of asian cultures) and the idea of a more or less peaceful land being engulfed by new and escalating conflicts. If anyone has not seen them, their prelude shorts for MoP were also great (link to first one in spoiler).

I think it was a lot of small things. Part of it was definitely the atmosphere, I hated the pandas and thought that basing an entire expansion around what had been a joke race was absurd, and that the Asian vibe of MOP clashed massively with the pre-existing setting (I've since developed a bit of an appreciation for it by itself, especially the music). I found it hard to engage with the content/lore when it was all these new species and concepts totally disconnected from anything that had previously existed in Warcraft. The quests themselves felt a bit grindy and boring and didn't flow well, and the zones felt very disconnected, I remember it feeling like a huge pain to move around when I first came to MOP. The dungeons were really uninspired, and the gear was mostly ugly.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It actually took around a month without questhelper, knowing where shit was, and playing classes that couldn't just wtfpower through shit like Hunters. The very first 60 took roughly 23 days, the first Hunter around 29, and it took me about 35.

Confirmed liar. Quests weren't even close to the fastest way to level in vanilla, you just found a densely populated area and ground trash mobs. I would pull entire fields at a time in WPL on my prot/holy pally to level. Questing couldn't even come close.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Entire regions did not have their quests or full list of quests implemented yet, so if you didn't get the right chain to the right areas there was little for you to level on except grinding enemies. Pretty sure I did 59->60 entirely off enemies in plaguelands because of that and I wanted to be in the first 25 to hit 60.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I remember spending a lot of time up in Winterspring grinding those ghosts because I had run out of quests.

• 1Solidarity

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I remember spending a lot of time up in Winterspring grinding those ghosts because I had run out of quests.
Heh me too. That was my spot. As a rogue with lifestone trinket i had randomly gotten I could kill with zero downtime

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You have my fucking character's name, the people I played with. There was a site up for about ten years that showed all the world first 60's including me Xenif, Tirade, and Chris. I still have people playing WoW now that know I was the world first 60, and people occasionally whisper me in game when I use the name Woolygimp. I haven't used the character name in years, but look up the level 60 priest on Stormreaver (I sold the account for somewhere around $1,500-$2,500 [honestly don't remember how much I got for it, but it was a lot). I had some of the best gear on the server pre-MC. I quit because there was duping the same people were buying all of the epics off of the AH. Someone showed me a screenshot of max gold, in Vanilla, and I took a screenshot and showed a GM. These people went on to tell me that they had made nearly $10 grand a week from selling gold to swagvault.com. WoW CMs said "there's no duping in World of Warcraft." which was a fucking slap in the face, when later we all found out that there had been several dupes for years.

Nobody else uses this name that I know of in the MMORPG world, but I got it from a movie so maybe it's a forum handle elsewhere, I don't know.

Jesus Christ, just use google before you call me a liar. The history of Stormreaver even talks about us in depth, if you had bothered to read the forum post. Otherwise do you think that I stole this forum handle from some oscure 2003 WoW player who made 60 with a priest before anyone else? Why not steal Tirade or Xenif's name? And I used to have all these guys on Instant Messenger (and if I still used it) they'd back up my story... but then you'd back asking them for proof.

I probably got a dozen tells when I played Wrath as Woolygimp (a mage) on OTHER servers besides Stormreaver. I never had access to my priest again after I sold it.

...so just shut the fuck up and get proof that I am lying. Everything already fits.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/1083609596#post-1

Get in touch with Jonchron if he still plays as I taught him a lot of what he knows, and I think he played for years...and did extremely well in arena. I quit before achievements and all of that, so there was no 60 worldfirst for that. Does armory not exist anymore? Woolygimp (Stormreaver Priest) isn't showing up anymore.

Xenif beat me by nearly two weeks. Rogues (and Horde) leveled much faster than shadow priests. Tirade beat me by 7 days. Chris beat me by about five days.
Hahaha this faggot.

• 1Like

Tantrik

Golden Knight of the Realm
Confirmed liar. Quests weren't even close to the fastest way to level in vanilla, you just found a densely populated area and ground trash mobs. I would pull entire fields at a time in WPL on my prot/holy pally to level. Questing couldn't even come close.

Actually questing turned out to be the fastest way to level 1-60, it just took awhile for the most efficient leveling routes to be plotted and made well known. I remember your line of thought being the dominant position in early Vanilla as the old grind-XP MMO vets made their way from EQ, etc. Yet as time went by and more fresh server 1-60 races took place, the quest-path method always yielded the first 60's.

By the end of Vanilla we were under 5d played for first 60's...almost always a rogue or hunter. I managed to get one server-first paladin on Gurubashi (US) but that was before questing was widely well known as the fastest method.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This. Let me run mythics (+) dungeons for mah rep

Honestly I always felt that the tabard rep system was the best, least grindy bullshit way to go about it. Oh, you want rep? Wear our jersey and do shit you want to do.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Actually questing turned out to be the fastest way to level 1-60, it just took awhile for the most efficient leveling routes to be plotted and made well known. I remember your line of thought being the dominant position in early Vanilla as the old grind-XP MMO vets made their way from EQ, etc. Yet as time went by and more fresh server 1-60 races took place, the quest-path method always yielded the first 60's.

By the end of Vanilla we were under 5d played for first 60's...almost always a rogue or hunter. I managed to get one server-first paladin on Gurubashi (US) but that was before questing was widely well known as the fastest method.

I suppose I should clarify that I mainly meant during the first couple months, and it also depended on how good your class was at trash grinding. I wasn't exaggerating when I said I would pull entire fields at a time in the plaguelands on my prot pal. Grind them all down and then immediately run off to the next field with no downtime.

Narac01

Trakanon Raider

Woot, reppin' first 60 shaman on zuljin. I ground on elite giants in tanaris around early 40s. Remember rogues doing ogres in burning steppes since they had like no armor.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone get a Lumie vibe from the way Wooly responds to posts? Mountains of misdirection and criticism without actually backing his claim.

Anyone know if he is a big proponent of garlic? Professional poker player?