What's going on at Blizzard?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I remember farming Furlbogs in Azshara for fucking weeks to level up quickly only to find out that it fucked my rep for Winterspring. Good times.

Cybsled

I look at the Doomhammer list for the first 60s and almost none of those names ring a bell (and I was in the guild with a bunch of them apparently lol...maybe they rerolled into different characters later on).

Cybsled

The shaman? Ya, I remember him. He wasn't the one they gave the Rag hammer to, was it? I remember that shaman wrecking shit in WSG lol. We used to have like 3+ hour Drow vs. Jugg WSG matches, lots of fun ;p

sadris

Karen
<Donor>
The shaman? Ya, I remember him. He wasn't the one they gave the Rag hammer to, was it? I remember that shaman wrecking shit in WSG lol. We used to have like 3+ hour Drow vs. Jugg WSG matches, lots of fun ;p
The shaman was someone else. Was before I joined Juggernaut.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hah, Protege (Hunter on Medivh) was my housemate at the time. That guy spent the overwhelming majority of his time from 40-60 soloing the elites in Tanaris, because hunters were ez mode.

Also, I feel like this solo questing angle being the best xp at release is brought up over and over again, and it has never been true. There was quite a few gaps, especially horde side, in questing xp at release. A lot of stuff was added in the first couple of patches that made it much smoother, but the absolute best ways to get xp at release were grinding mobs or grinding dungeons. (for clustered mobs and respawn) The leading guys on each server did quests when they had them, but if they could get a group for a dungeon they did, and since quests sort of just... ran out, especially without rest xp as nobody the first couple of weeks had any since everyone was playing so much, grinding was the way.

It helped that there were all kinds of random exploit-style shit going on. There was what, a solid week or so where Ogres and Bears had 0 ac, so as a warrior with MS I literally just charged around the ogre mound in searing gorge two shot-ing ogres with basically zero downtime. Fastest grinding ever; though I don't think many people knew about that (at least on medivh, as I was the only one there) There was also something going on with instantly respawning shit in plaguelands, maybe the zombie trolls?

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
only reason you hamburglars won the race to first 60 is likely because the game was released 4 months earlier in your region. Calling it US first would make more sense since there weren't actually any form of world competition until TBC came around (which I think released at the same time for most regions) :)

Honestly though, yeah I agree with some points Wooly makes about how it was cooler that shit was hard but there's still a lot of things I felt was dumb in vanilla, like getting punished for grouping. I'd like it more if you were coerced into a group from the getgo at level 1 because I like MMO's to be social, not just solo in a group of others.

But Legion so far is fun, everyone said the same about WoD (although I think garrisons got people annoyed as soon as they dinged 100, but the real annoyance didn't come until later). It's all going to boil down to how will patch content be and how long will the content drought to the next expansion. If it's say 8 months, they'll have my faith again

Azrayne

Irenicus did nothing wrong
But Legion so far is fun, everyone said the same about WoD (although I think garrisons got people annoyed as soon as they dinged 100, but the real annoyance didn't come until later).

Obviously it's hard to say for sure, but that's not how I remember it. I remember being excited because it was something other than MOP and it felt like a bit of a return to "classic warcraft stuff," that I really enjoying levelling for 2 days with friends, then getting very bored very quickly once I hit cap. I will say that I did actually liked the garrison at first (although the horde one was fucking ugly), but I liked the idea of creating a base and customizing it and building up an army of followers, it was only later on that I started to hate how much of a grind it was and how much emptier it made the game feel. Maybe other people had a different experience?

Mr Creed

Too old for this shit
I liked the garrison idea, would have loved if there were even more ways to customize it. The problem really was that they had no content once you reach you 100. Order halls are basically downsized garrisons, except this time they added world content for max level to actually make you play the game. One change is that you don't get order resources inside the order hall, makes one hell of a difference. I'm curious how mythic+ plays out, but that was another dropped ball in WoD, dungeons were so pointless during that expansion.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I recognize most of the guys on Doomhammer. Hex had that one group of really fast leveler and Jugg had a few. I think Muroka and Garu spent like their whole 55-60 experience straight grinding in the eastern plaguelands. I think Garu didn't sleep for the last like 3 days or something because he came from way behind to pass Muroka. I was 60 a week or so after those guys with the second wave of Jugg guys to get 60. We also stole those two badasses from Drow, Tsigo and Masc, who were already 60 on Alliance and were still pretty early 60's on Horde as well.

Speaking of old dungeon difficulty - the pre-nerf original version of Scholomance back then was a bitch. Roamers galore on a 14m respawn, everything real tightly packed and most of the loot was only at the very end of the dungeon. Think clearing that one and getting my Barov trinket was a crowning moment of classic.

Regarding Horde grinding - I definitely caught wayy up with people on the standard path by grinding various off the path caves - one in Hillsbrad from like 25-33 and one in Tanaris from 40-45 - and spent the last few levels 57-60 grinding in EPL on undeads. The caves were great because they fairly predictably had lock boxes, so you could honestly get pretty good gear and cash over a few hour period while grinding up.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
Maybe some of these guys are nostalgic for the way things were before they were such a behemoth. Endless late nights with Mt Drew and Doritos, instead of endless late nights with cocaine and whores.

Or maybe they just want more free time for the cocaine and whores.

A lot of them are now married, some have kids etc. It's hard to fit in AAA game development and family along with the cocaine and whores.

And I'm not being cynical. If *I* was rich at 40, I certainly hope I would choose cocaine and whores over video games.

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Doing dungeons, and grouping in Vanilla was fun for two reasons. Solo questing/grinding was faster, but the loot you got from doing dungeons was amazing. If you got a blue (even if it was 10 levels under you) you were like holy fuck yea! It was all about the gear, and you actually had to run to the dungeon.
LFG is one of the worst things that happened in WoW, only LFR surpasses its stupidity.
People can't be bothered to run to fucking dungeons anymore, seriously?!

I can't tell you how many people would get raped by the Defias Wizards waiting for people to group up for the Defias mines (whatever it was called). Going to the dungeons in the real world meant a lot to me and immersion. Those L16 Defias Wizards would kill level 20+s like they were nothing, it was great. Those fireballs were easily 1/6 to 1/3 of someone's health, and you'd get hit from all sides.

We were the first group on the server to do it, and I got probably 50 tells from people begging me to let them into the group, lol.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Doing dungeons, and grouping in Vanilla was fun for two reasons. Solo questing/grinding was faster, but the loot you got from doing dungeons was amazing. If you got a blue (even if it was 10 levels under you) you were like holy fuck yea! It was all about the gear, and you actually had to run to the dungeon.
LFG is one of the worst things that happened in WoW, only LFR surpasses its stupidity.
People can't be bothered to run to fucking dungeons anymore, seriously?!

I can't tell you how many people would get raped by the Defias Wizards waiting for people to group up for the Defias mines (whatever it was called). Going to the dungeons in the real world meant a lot to me and immersion. Those L16 Defias Wizards would kill level 20+s like they were nothing, it was great. Those fireballs were easily 1/6 to 1/3 of someone's health, and you'd get hit from all sides.

We were the first group on the server to do it, and I got probably 50 tells from people begging me to let them into the group, lol.
Im pretty sure you are just bad if you had trouble with deadmines at lvl20

• 1Like

Woolygimp

I never had trouble with deadmines. I am recalling people sitting near the meeting stone, or near the entrance, getting burnt to a crisp by the Defias Wizards. This was on alts and shit. It was also funny as fuck.

We did deadmines once, then moved on. I died a couple times to defias wizards on my priest though on the race to 60, they WERE a fucking bitch, especially at level 14.

These guys cast freaking Pyroblast.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
I never had trouble with deadmines. I am recalling people sitting near the meeting stone, or near the entrance, getting burnt to a crisp by the Defias Wizards. This was on alts and shit. It was also funny as fuck.

We did deadmines once, then moved on. I died a couple times to defias wizards on my priest though on the race to 60, they WERE a fucking bitch, especially at level 14.
Meeting stones were added well unto vanilla. Your whole recollection is off

Woolygimp

Meeting stones were added well unto vanilla. Your whole recollection is off

I just said ALTS. ON ALTS. ALTS. MEANING CHARACTER AFTER MY 60. DERP.

near the meeting stone. This was on alts and shit.

Woolygimp

You didn't have multiple 60s by tue time meeting stones were added?

No, I was too busy being the most progressed Priest on Stormreaver (which was one of the largest servers).

I didn't start an alt well into the game (or I quit and returned), after selling my Priest.

All this second guessing every fucking thing I say is getting old man, it really is. It's making me want to stop posting here.