Whats rustling your jimmies?

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I like those eggcorns because they're a great way to easily identify the idiots among us.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I don't see how you can think "set and done" makes as much sense as "said and done" but obviously we have different ideas about those kinds of things.

I just got rustled some more when some coworkers started talking about how karma would get someone back for what they had done. I don't even know the specifics of the situation, I just have an issue with people fervently believing in karma. I stupidly argued with them about it and asked how they could be so sure, because there is no way to prove it, and all they could come up with was "feels." I asked them what they would say if I went out tonight and killed someone, never told anyone about it, never got caught, and never did anything even remotely like that again. What if I then led a long and fruitful life, made enough money to be satisfied, and died peacefully surrounded by all of my loved ones? Where is my karma? Well, then I'd just go to Hell. So I further stupidly argued that, if Hell exists, that's not karma at all. Which led to arguing about prayer, and again me saying it was impossible to prove. If we all pray for that sick kid, and he dies, we say it is part of God's plan. If he lives, isn't that just God's plan too, and our prayers didn't matter one bit?

Apparently I'm too "scientific" (their words) for them. You might think I should just change jobs, but I'm almost certain I could get into the same argument almost anywhere I'm likely to get a job. I just need to live on a different planet.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
No, you just need to stop wasting your time arguing with people about things that they have no chance of changing their stances on. You're rustling your own jimmies even more by arguing.

Siliconemelons

Here is one I thought was the other way around so I searched it... /mindblown.gif

"pike ? pipe

Chiefly in: coming down the pipe

Classification: English - nearly mainstream

Spotted in the wild:
?Unless the FCC gets smarter about the technologies coming down the pipe, they're creating perfect conditions for a real mess down the line. (The Coming (Cognitive) Radio Revolution... AKA The FCC as Regulatory Ostrich)
?And with all that new hardware coming down the pipe and the potential for lots of new Metroid, this year should be a barnburner! (The Metroid Database)

Analyzed or reported by:
?Paul Brians (Common Errors in English)

To "come down the pike" is an idiomatic slang expression where "pike" is an abbreviation of "turnpike." (See definition below) It is extremely common, however, for people to say "come down the pipe" instead, which is clearly a reshaping based on a phonetic error combined with a semantic reinterpretation. Both are metaphors.

An interesting possible semantic difference: while a turnpike has barriers which must be overcome (as toll gates), a pipe generally does not. The original phrase using "pike" may have been meant to signify a "coming into prominence" that will occur once obstacles are overcome, while the eggcorn using "pipe" may emphasize that the "coming into prominence" is inevitable and only a matter of time.

pike? (pik) n.
1.A turnpike.
2. a. A tollgate on a turnpike.
b. A toll paid.

intr.v. piked, pik?ing, pikes

To move quickly.

Idiom:
come down the pike Slang

To come into prominence: "a policy. allowing for little flexibility if an important new singer comes down the pike" (Christian Science Monitor).

-Pike | Define Pike at Dictionary.com
"

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I don't see how you can think "set and done" makes as much sense as "said and done" but obviously we have different ideas about those kinds of things.
Did you read the examples? As an example, the first one for set and done was "Once it's all set and done, there will be 8 inches of snow". It makes more sense for snow to SET, than to speak, does it not? Like I said, I can see how people got to the wrong word in all of those examples.

Here is one I thought was the other way around so I searched it... /mindblown.gif

"pike ? pipe

Chiefly in: coming down the pipe

To "come down the pike" is an idiomatic slang expression where "pike" is an abbreviation of "turnpike." (See definition below) It is extremely common, however, for people to say "come down the pipe" instead, which is clearly a reshaping based on a phonetic error combined with a semantic reinterpretation. Both are metaphors.

An interesting possible semantic difference: while a turnpike has barriers which must be overcome (as toll gates), a pipe generally does not. The original phrase using "pike" may have been meant to signify a "coming into prominence" that will occur once obstacles are overcome, while the eggcorn using "pipe" may emphasize that the "coming into prominence" is inevitable and only a matter of time.
Same here, I always use pipe. I think this is furthered by the fact that turnpikes aren't found everywhere. First thing I think of when I hear 'pike' is a polearm with a spike on the end. Second and third things are yankee fish and yankee roads that I will never run across. Before I read that entry, I didn't even know turnpikes were always tollroads. This is another example where the eggcorn makes as much sense as the 'correct' phrase.

Whoever wrote that didn't realize that pipes generally have valves that can act as a barrier too.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Did you read the examples? As an example, the first one for set and done was "Once it's all set and done, there will be 8 inches of snow". It makes more sense for snow to SET, than to speak, does it not? Like I said, I can see how people got to the wrong word in all of those examples.

Same here, I always use pipe. I think this is furthered by the fact that turnpikes aren't found everywhere. First thing I think of when I hear 'pike' is a polearm with a spike on the end. Second and third things are yankee fish and yankee roads that I will never run across. Before I read that entry, I didn't even know turnpikes were always tollroads. This is another example where the eggcorn makes as much sense as the 'correct' phrase.

Whoever wrote that didn't realize that pipes generally have valves that can act as a barrier too.
No, it doesn't make sense to me about the snow, because the phrase isn't referring to the snow doing anything at all, it is referring to the issue at hand, whatever it may be, being concluded. And you just picked a specific example of something that actually "sets", but if the example were something that actually could talk, then what?

You can justify them however you want, and it is your prerogative, but the point of all those "eggcorns" is that the phrases were established long ago, and people NOW just don't know what they really are and say the wrong thing. Sure, if you don't live in certain parts of the country you might not ever use the term "turnpike" or even know what it is, but that doesn't change the fact that the original phrase was pike, not pipe. And I don't have a problem with someone genuinely not knowing the correct terms, but continuing to say it once you know what the correct idiom is, is just being willfully contrary.

No, you just need to stop wasting your time arguing with people about things that they have no chance of changing their stances on. You're rustling your own jimmies even more by arguing.
You're right, of course, but I should probably stay off the internet then too
tongue.png

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Turnpike is pretty retarded and makes no damn sense at all.

TLC. Not so much that it rustles my jimmies but dissapoints my jimmies. I used to watch that channel all the time back in the day along with the discovery channel and the history channel. Now it along with those two others are all filled with nonsensical garbage and are completely unwatchable thanks to the fucking braindead unwashed masses. Seriously who the fuck finds 90 day fiance real or even remotely interesting? What kind of mouth breather are you to find such shit entertainment?

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
No, it doesn't make sense to me about the snow, because the phrase isn't referring to the snow doing anything at all, it is referring to the issue at hand, whatever it may be, being concluded. And you just picked a specific example of something that actually "sets", but if the example were something that actually could talk, then what?
But that's my point. That is not a specific example that I dug around for. That was literally the first example from the second entry on the page. (in the first entry, they specifically said it always seemed to be non native speakers making whatever mistake they were talking about due to how the words sounded) I was pointing out that for the examples they gave, the wrong word often made at least as much sense as the established word. I am not saying 'set' always makes sense, only that it did in most of the examples they gave. You follow me now?

I think it said that example was from a weather report. Who's the say that reporter didn't try to cleverly modify the phrase to be more applicable to the snow falling? Heck, who's to say the reporter was trying to use that phrase at all?

Vanderhoof

Trakanon Raider

I just got rustled some more when some coworkers started talking about how karma would get someone back for what they had done. I don't even know the specifics of the situation, I just have an issue with people fervently believing in karma. I stupidly argued with them about it and asked how they could be so sure, because there is no way to prove it, and all they could come up with was "feels." I asked them what they would say if I went out tonight and killed someone, never told anyone about it, never got caught, and never did anything even remotely like that again. What if I then led a long and fruitful life, made enough money to be satisfied, and died peacefully surrounded by all of my loved ones? Where is my karma? Well, then I'd just go to Hell. So I further stupidly argued that, if Hell exists, that's not karma at all. Which led to arguing about prayer, and again me saying it was impossible to prove. If we all pray for that sick kid, and he dies, we say it is part of God's plan. If he lives, isn't that just God's plan too, and our prayers didn't matter one bit?

Apparently I'm too "scientific" (their words) for them. You might think I should just change jobs, but I'm almost certain I could get into the same argument almost anywhere I'm likely to get a job. I just need to live on a different planet.
If I understand it correctly, it is impossible to attribute anything accurately to karma. We are all dealing with accumulated karma from past lives; a bad thing we do now will likely not have implications until the next cycle of rebirth. It is hard for westerners to understand because of our linear view of time and poor understanding of samsara. I took one class on Buddhism in college, so I am by no means an expert, but it bugs me when people attribute things to karma too. I just remind myself they are likely living out their karmic rewards by being a retard during this lifetime and that gives me a little solace...

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
When I think of karma I don't pretend to know about Hinduism and pretty much make my own sense: Karma is an aspect of the Butterfly Effect. So your actions create ripples that will eventually bounce back to you. Karma in my sense is the flavor and theme of the ripples, do bad and chances are bad will happen again, etc.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
But we park in the driveway and drive in the parkway! We do it every day! WHAT TROLL CAME UP WITH THIS SHIT? MADNESS I TELL YOU!

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
My bank rustled my jimmies today. Someone sent me a bad check and it bounced and the motherfuckers charged me a fucking fee. Called them about it and they were just like 'well derpa derpa derpa it's our policy.'

I asked them what I did wrong to get punished and neither of the people I spoke to could tell me. I mean, for fucks sake, if I'm being punished with a fee, it should be because I did something wrong. Did I deposit the fucking check wrong? Do they think I forged or stole the check? It was a money order too, not even a personal check. I thought those were supposed to be the epitome of secureness when it came to checks. To get one written, the person has to fork over the funds first. So unless it was stolen to begin with, the bank that issued it is basically stealing from me, and my bank, seeing me down on the pavement, decides it's as good a time as any to get some licks in. Cause hey, everyone loves a dogpile, right?

Maybe what I did wrong was doing business with Wells Fargo. Does anyone know if that's standard for all banks? Is it any use checking into other banks or credit unions to see if they all do that?

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My bank rustled my jimmies today. Someone sent me a bad check and it bounced and the motherfuckers charged me a fucking fee. Called them about it and they were just like 'well derpa derpa derpa it's our policy.'

I asked them what I did wrong to get punished and neither of the people I spoke to could tell me. I mean, for fucks sake, if I'm being punished with a fee, it should be because I did something wrong. Did I deposit the fucking check wrong? Do they think I forged or stole the check? It was a money order too, not even a personal check. I thought those were supposed to be the epitome of secureness when it came to checks. To get one written, the person has to fork over the funds first. So unless it was stolen to begin with, the bank that issued it is basically stealing from me, and my bank, seeing me down on the pavement, decides it's as good a time as any to get some licks in. Cause hey, everyone loves a dogpile, right?

Maybe what I did wrong was doing business with Wells Fargo. Does anyone know if that's standard for all banks? Is it any use checking into other banks or credit unions to see if they all do that?
Just how it works bud. However, because you aren't in the wrong, most banks do go after the other party (sort of like having a car accident. You pay deductible then get reimbursed). Don't let it slide. Get that shit straightened out.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I went through the first three pages of the eggcorn database and I have never, not even once in my life, come across anyone who fucked up those particular saying. "Set and done"? "Leash on life"? Y'all must hang out with some dumb people.

mr208

N00b
+1
I went through the first three pages of the eggcorn database and I have never, not even once in my life, come across anyone who fucked up those particular saying. "Set and done"? "Leash on life"? Y'all must hang out with some dumb people.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
my quilty pleasure is Dumb people on Court Shows.

My wife and I love when they say some stupid indium. (as discussed in this thread)

Our favorite one which we use often is "its a learn a lesson" instead of "I learned my lesson"

mr208

N00b
my quilty pleasure is Dumb people on Court Shows.

My wife and I love when they say some stupid indium. (as discussed in this thread)

Our favorite one which we use often is "its a learn a lesson" instead of "I learned my lesson"
Bro you tryna troll with your quilts? Guilty as fuck.

mr208

N00b
But let me tell you all about my intensive purposes while we're in tents, intently speaking about proper tense.

Things and people who fuck up feet' and inches". Don't get me wrong, tripple fuck the imperial system because it makes less sense than a taint flavored lolly pop, but comon get it the fuck together.