Whats rustling your jimmies?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I have no idea what that was about. What machine doesn't work? Why would they pretend it was broke? And why did your wife leave again with him? Did she have to blow him for the cab fare?

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
I have no idea what that was about. What machine doesn't work? Why would they pretend it was broke? And why did your wife leave again with him? Did she have to blow him for the cab fare?
If the person pays cash they don't log the trip and just pocket the money rather than pay the cab company. So they want to say the machine is broke so they can get cash.

Or, they take an "impression" of your card then go on a shopping spree later.

lurker

Vyemm Raider
We calls it a suicide lane in wv.
Back in the day, I know I'm old, there were 3 lane highways. The one I remember while growing up was Hwy 101 in CA near San Jose before it became a major freeway. This Hwy was mostly 1 lane in either direction but for a 5 mile stretch near what was the Ampex headquarters it became 3 lanes. The lanes were only marked with a dashed white line and the speed limit was 55mph. The center lane was to be used for passing only but was available to cars travelling either direction at any time. You really had to be feeling suicidal to pull out into that lane considering someone travelling 55 mph the opposite direction might have the same thought at the same time.

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
If the person pays cash they don't log the trip and just pocket the money rather than pay the cab company. So they want to say the machine is broke so they can get cash.

Or, they take an "impression" of your card then go on a shopping spree later.
I always pay cabs in cash if I can for that last bit there. Shady as they are, I'd rather they scam their boss than make a copy of my card.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The worst is in DC where they have these lanes that switch directions at specific times. Inevitably at every intersection you get two idiots honking at each other because one guys clock says 4:57 and the other guys says 5:04.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Yah, people fuck that shit up all the time. They call it a Center Left Turn Lane for a reason.
The ones with the dotted yellow center lane are called "suicide lanes" by traffic engineers, and they've basically been eliminated from most modern road design. They're unsafe as all fuck, because idiots turning off the side streets use them as acceleration/merge lanes, when they're only supposed to be for deceleration/turning.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
This one seems random yet I feel like it will be surprisingly relatable:

Goddamn phillips head screws made of a metal so soft that a child with brittle bone disease can strip them out with a plastic toy screwdriver and the slightest application of torque.

Now, in this case I won't actually be rustled until the front doorknob gets loose again and I find this hollowed out screw that uh "some dumbass" ruined. Just thinking ahead here.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
You fuckers made me look it up for VA and now I'm completely confused.

"Where the middle lane of a highway is marked on both sides with a solid line immediately adjacent to a broken line, such middle lane shall be considered aleft-turn or holding lane and it shall be lawful to drive to the left of such line if the solid line is on the right of the broken line for the purpose of turning left into any road or entrance, provided that the vehicle may not travel in such lane further than 150 feet"

So, uh, since it isn't stated at all, is making a left FROM a road or entrance always illegal? Or is only illegal if I turn into the middle lane, ride in it, then merge right? I no longer know because they DON'T FUCKING SAY.

opiate82

Bronze Squire
So you know those crane games where you put in a quarter and have a chance to win a stupid stuffed animal or something, well this is a picture of the paperwork I need to submit to the state of Washington in order to put a game like that in my business. Some of the shit needs to be notarized too.

rrr_img_127235.jpg

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
... because idiots turning off the side streets use them as acceleration/merge lanes, when they're only supposed to be for deceleration/turning.
It's not illegal everywhere to turn into the lane and use it to merge. Where do you live that it's illegal? Am genuinely curious because my experience is that it's been legal more places I've been than it hasn't. I don't find them to be that dangerous aside from the fact bad drivers are going to be bad no matter what you do. Close to intersections is probably the only time I see fundamental issues as people think it's an early entry to the intersections turn lane.

There are always things people aren't comfortable with, or that bad drivers and/or assholes struggle with. Like in Texas with the wide shoulders so you can move over to let cars pass. It's not dangerous, people are?

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I hate when I see someone pull up to a stop sign, wait 20 seconds, THEN pull out right in front of me. They always end up going super slow. I finally rage when I see the green light ahead, and can make it, but these people don't speed up in the slightest, then just sit at the red light they've earned ;\

Happens so often on the road next to my house that I'm now ignoring the double lines, and just swerving around them. I should probably be a little more careful, as there's probably only one of my car/color in VA =\

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I hate when I see someone pull up to a stop sign, wait 20 seconds, THEN pull out right in front of me. They always end up going super slow. I finally rage when I see the green light ahead, and can make it, but these people don't speed up in the slightest, then just sit at the red light they've earned ;\

Happens so often on the road next to my house that I'm now ignoring the double lines, and just swerving around them. I should probably be a little more careful, as there's probably only one of my car/color in VA =\
Wait... That was you?

watermelon-car.jpg

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
You fuckers made me look it up for VA and now I'm completely confused.

"Where the middle lane of a highway is marked on both sides with a solid line immediately adjacent to a broken line, such middle lane shall be considered aleft-turn or holding lane and it shall be lawful to drive to the left of such line if the solid line is on the right of the broken line for the purpose of turning left into any road or entrance, provided that the vehicle may not travel in such lane further than 150 feet"

So, uh, since it isn't stated at all, is making a left FROM a road or entrance always illegal? Or is only illegal if I turn into the middle lane, ride in it, then merge right? I no longer know because they DON'T FUCKING SAY.
Sounds like that's for Highways. edit: actually that quote isn't in the PDF they have online, but still see below.

What I found was:

If both sides of the center
lane are marked by a solid
yellow line and a broken
yellow line, drivers traveling
in either direction may use
the lane for making left turns.
However, they may not travel
further than 150 feet in this
lane.
Which still sounds like it either isn't allowed or is one of those things that isn't technically illegal so they don't ticket people, but it's also not legal so they don't teach it.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That only addresses if both directions on the road can use it, not whether you can only use it turning FROM the lane or INTO the lane.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
That only addresses if both directions on the road can use it, not whether you can only use it turning FROM the lane or INTO the lane.
You on a side street trying to turn left is probably not one of the 'either direction' on the roadway they're talking about, so it seems it's saying either of the two directions of lane travel can use the center lane for up to 150 feet to make a left turn. So, deduction: from.

There are plenty of situations that aren't addressed by law, so can't be addressed by education. Like in some states you can't hold a cell phone to your ear, but you can hold it to your chin like a fucking moron as if it's less dangerous/dumb, because holding your cell phone in and of itself isn't addressed, only holding a phone to your ear, etc. Though 'it doesn't explicitly say I couldn't' isn't usually a very good defense if you're trying to get out of a ticket, or especially if you get into an accident.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Can't renew driver's license online and have to do it in person at DMV because DOB ends in an even year. Stupid shit.

Larnix

Blackwing Lair Raider
When my wife and I traveled to Crete they basically made their own suicide lane. Everyone drove as close to the shoulder as possible and cars were passing each direction down the middle of the road. Just what we needed driving around a mountainous island with cars and trucks passing with no care in the world.

Also when we got back to Athens we couldn't find a driver that was willing to turn on their meter to take us to our hotel they all quoted 20 to 30 Euro flat. After about 10 tries an older guy gets out of the cab and and tells the driver in English and Greek to turn it on and not fuck us over. It was a 6 euro ride

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
The worst is in DC where they have these lanes that switch directions at specific times. Inevitably at every intersection you get two idiots honking at each other because one guys clock says 4:57 and the other guys says 5:04.
The only time I've seen lanes that switch direction, there were lights above the lanes that told you which direction. DC needs to raise taxes or something.

Route 1 in Norwood, cut the shit people.

rrr_img_127236.jpg
The way I learned it was #2 is correct only because there are side streets. If this was a u turn median, then #1 is correct. Had nothing to do with seeing oncoming traffic. BUT now that you mention it, it does make good sense. I have the same problem most mornings at an intersection near work. It's got cross streets and everyone always tries to cut inside.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So oddly enough got an email about future road work in the area were that situation is most common. Apparently they will be constructing medians to hopefully put an end to the shenanigans.

Also at the same intersection twice ive seen assholes speed down the left hand turn lane for about 300-400 feet and right as they get to the intersection swerve back into the regular lanes. Makes me wish I drove a tank so I could crush those dumb motherfuckers.