Whats rustling your jimmies?

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Lots of people in my industry still use windows 98/95 to be able to run AutoCad 12 (not 2012) to run the add on which is only supported in AutoCad 12. At least they are stand alone work stations and not connected to the internet.
Autodesk rustles my jimmies.

When we upgraded from WinXP to Win7 it broke our AutoCAD 2006 we were running. We managed to get it running in XP mode and also in a VM but in both instances it was super laggy because it was using software emulation instead of hardware.

We bit the bullet and upgraded to AutoCAD 2012 (which cost like $4000 for two copies at the time). Guess what? It doesn't work in Windows 10. So if we want to upgrade to Windows 10 we have to get AutoCAD 2015. Oh and starting with 2015 they don't sell AutoCAD anymore, you have to "rent" it from them and pay a monthly/yearly sub like it's a goddamn MMO.

Scumbag Autodesk.

And yeah, there's an engineer in our building that still runs AutoCAD r14 on a Win98 box

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
They still sell autocad, but they really push the rental deal. I have 2016 and I think a single license was $3600.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
They still sell autocad, but they really push the rental deal. I have 2016 and I think a single license was $3600.
Good old Autocad. Havent used it since high school. Partner and I got in trouble using it too, apparently there was something mapped outside the useable tablet area that somehow translated to 'print 30,000 sheets of random shit'. They insisted we did it on purpose :*( I'm old so I think this was Autocad 1

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Doing drug training for work. They say 75% of drug users are employed and that's just the most terriblest thing evah. I mean, WTF if 75% of drug users can hold a job and not fuck it up, maybe drug use aint as bad as you're making it out to be!

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Doing drug training for work. They say 75% of drug users are employed and that's just the most terriblest thing evah. I mean, WTF if 75% of drug users can hold a job and not fuck it up, maybe drug use aint as bad as you're making it out to be!
The other 10 perecent live off of $10 from j23

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
I don't understand the existence of the EAP. It says the drug assistance program can help to retain good employees. Why would you want to help those awful druggie employees keep their jobs when they are awful and it's so shocking that they're able to hold down a job?

But hey it's a drug free workplace now. When I get back to the office I'll ask when they're cracking down on the coffee, soda and cigarettes. They have no excuse to not crack down on smokers since 2 of the reasons given for wanting a drug free workplace were reduced productivity and increased health problems.

Dalien

Registered Hodor
Didn't know that but at that price you're fucked either way. Man what a racket. Makes me want to just torrent that shit and be done with it, but I'm sure they would sue us out of business if they ever found out.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Oh and I'm now rustled that the drug awareness class didn't end with a screening of reefer madness. I suggested it on the comment card.

Borzak

Didn't know that but at that price you're fucked either way. Man what a racket. Makes me want to just torrent that shit and be done with it, but I'm sure they would sue us out of business if they ever found out.
A LOT and I mean a lot of business still use autocad 2000 since that was the last release you could buy a server license or whatever they call it. If you are just drafting and design and not doing very large 3d structures and such it works as good if not better than all the new stuff. It's incredibly bloated now and maybe 1% of users use all the new bloat stuff.

March 2016 and they already released AutoCad 2017. Releases used to further spaced out.

Borzak

Everyone I know for the last 30 years prints/plots from model space and draws it full scale. Our add on that everyone uses just scales up the text. It works and no dicking around messing with viewports or anything else. We plot a lot of stuff to fit since nobody in their right mind scales off paper. But most of our work is made to build off of, not to be pretty.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Yeah I dealt with several 60 year old draftsmen that did v similarly until they got laid off. Excluding large productivity gains it's a huge creator of inconsistencies and missed revisions. If you're just doing shop drawings, 1 at a time ok but any set of plans over...2 pages you're messing up.

Borzak

Doesn't matter. We may plot 500 sheets a day out of an office. But if we weren't using our add on it would a day to do 2 sheets where I can answer 6 questions and get an entire sheet done.

Not my drawing as we normally stick a lot more on it. This entire sheet is drawn to scale and takes about 10 quick questions to produce it including the bill of material. The older version from 25 years ago is what everyone uses in autolisp. An old guy made it in his spare time and learned lisp just to make it. Another guy bought it after he died and it's gone to crap because the guy doesn't know what he's actually supposed to be making.

Our drawings are scrubbed (after checking) one at a time, same for revisions. It's in everyones standard contract. Every drawing has to be checked so every dimension is either yellowed out or reded up by hand.

It's incredibly effecient and we have over the last 25 years put several places out of business that were more involved in AutoCad that tried it different ways lol

stair_and_rail_sheet.JPG

Dalien

Registered Hodor
A LOT and I mean a lot of business still use autocad 2000 since that was the last release you could buy a server license or whatever they call it. If you are just drafting and design and not doing very large 3d structures and such it works as good if not better than all the new stuff. It's incredibly bloated now and maybe 1% of users use all the new bloat stuff.

March 2016 and they already released AutoCad 2017. Releases used to further spaced out.
Yeah out of curiosity I just looked on IPT and 2017 is already up there, wtf. I'm sure it will only work until the next Windows comes out in a few years too. Scumbag Autodesk indeed.

For drafting and design they functionally haven't changed much in 20 years. There are a few convenience things in 2012 that weren't in 2006 and older versions like being able to directly edit an xref in drawing, but other bloat shit like you mention (hi ribbon interface!) are garbage.

As far as 3D goes CAD is great for precision if you're a mechanical engineer designing widgets or something but it's also very tedious to work in. For stuff like showing interior or exterior perspectives, SketchUp is amazingly powerful (and free!). SketchUp tickles my pickle.

Borzak

Hasn't changed much in 25 years for that matter, maybe even longer. A lot of people stil complain about AutoCad 14 being the best version for actual drafting.

2017 you don't get the option of turning off the ribbon again for like the 3rd time.

I have all that shit turned off. I still use an old school digitizer since I'm using the same software inside autocad for 25 years, the menu hasn't changed. I like it.

I always get tickled when I go to the field and some guy is there with a laptop trying to model some large ass structure or 100' of 12' round duct in tekla or sds/2 and I break out my scratch pad and my trig foot and inch calculator and get done in 1/100th the time.

I mostly use the newer versions just to open a file someone else sent made in a new version then save it to an old version so I can send it out to everyone in our industry. Normally AutoCad 2000.dwg is the standard most people ask for and all CNC equipment I've seen requires an autocad 2000.dxf.

I wish autodesk would split off their entire 2d/3d into separate packages. They off autocad LT but that does us no good since our package was written in lisp. But for most people a lot of bloat could be eliminated.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It hasnt changed in 25 years because you're not using anything new, B. It is a lines and text program to you with a few macros.

Just because you have to check everything doesn't mean you don't have to do the work right in the first place redundantly.

A draftsman in 2015 would draw that staircase once as a model to scale, put in annotative dimensions and pull any view he wanted in seconds using viewports and have multiple per sheet. When the staircase changed all views and dimensions would update. Any other discipline that needed to see where your staircase was heading would copy and paste it in a flash to make sure it wasn't hitting piping or going into traffic.

At least that's how it would work in an ae deal, i guess when teddy chevron just calls you directly to design his clean coal plant on the fly with your slide rule and has some extra guys designing on site things get different.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Most photocopiers run Windows 98 and have no security. So every scan that machine has done is potentially available to someone phishing. Kind of unreal.

Borzak

There was an IT guy where I once worked that lost sleep over being hacked by the copier/plotter repair guy via a usb stick. I kept telling him, so what? We had 15 people in the office. We sent payroll out to another company and everyone got salary, so the boss called them and told them how much to start paying you. All stuff we received had been sent to a half dozen other companies first via the bid process. We didn't take any money via the net. To bill we logged into the end customers system and filled out a form.

He never could see the point, there was nothing worth stealing on our local network so why lose sleep over it? His entire job which he was paid very well for was to keep the outside cnc equpment running and connected to the computers in the office which were not connected to the internet, just the actual equipment in the shop. Never understood the copier threat there. He would sit in a very small ass room when the copier guy came and watch him the entire time.