Whats rustling your jimmies?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The only time I get carded is buying compressed air or cough syrup. Shopping cart full of liquor? No problem!

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
We have an XP virtual machine on all our computers at work, since one of the programs we use only runs on it and it costs a fucking fortune to buy a Win 7+ upgrade. Not seeing that go away in the near future. :/

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Whenever someone asks how much something is with tax.
"It'll be one hundred dollars plus tax."

"So how much is that with tax?"

Well gee, lets see, louisiana state sales tax is 9.75%. Your total is about $110. Its not rocket surgery people!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Service fee to "turn on" power to my house even though it was already on
Service fee to "turn on" water service to my house even though it was already on
Service fee to transfer internet to my house even though the tech who came out literally did nothing

Fucking gouging you in the ass companies. $130 in fucking service fees for shit that was already on. Worst is the fucking city required a $200 deposit for water service. Power company at least waived their deposit after running credit check.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Service fee to "turn on" power to my house even though it was already on
Service fee to "turn on" water service to my house even though it was already on
Service fee to transfer internet to my house even though the tech who came out literally did nothing

Fucking gouging you in the ass companies. $130 in fucking service fees for shit that was already on. Worst is the fucking city required a $200 deposit for water service. Power company at least waived their deposit after running credit check.
Call and complain and threaten to use another company.

lol

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Paid a deposit on natural gas once. Got my deposit back when I moved. 5 years later I got the same refund, then got it 3 more times over the next 6 months. Small town, then I read in the paper when I was there next the local gas company was being investigated for losing a ton of money. Gee I wonder why lol.

mr208

N00b
There was an IT guy where I once worked that lost sleep over being hacked by the copier/plotter repair guy via a usb stick. I kept telling him, so what? We had 15 people in the office. We sent payroll out to another company and everyone got salary, so the boss called them and told them how much to start paying you. All stuff we received had been sent to a half dozen other companies first via the bid process. We didn't take any money via the net. To bill we logged into the end customers system and filled out a form.

He never could see the point, there was nothing worth stealing on our local network so why lose sleep over it? His entire job which he was paid very well for was to keep the outside cnc equpment running and connected to the computers in the office which were not connected to the internet, just the actual equipment in the shop. Never understood the copier threat there. He would sit in a very small ass room when the copier guy came and watch him the entire time.
I mean theoretically if the copier/fax machine is connected to the network and you access things over that network 3rd party external or otherwise, a well placed set of malware/ scripts could be used to exploit any number of vulns. Fax/copiers have hds and usually run oh so secure windows 98. Its possible to bring down a network from that. If your CNC machines were connected thru the network - denial of service. You have access to end customer's system through vpn? He could gain access through key logging, impersonate your boss to contact the bank etc.

Physical security is super important. NIST 800.53 rev4 appendix f - thats a read of what a very prescriptive but effective security program looks like.

That said, the dude seems like a nut job (being serious).

Borzak

Yeah I just don't see it. Who would go thru that trouble to hack a small company that didn't even have their own email server? We logged into the customers website and billed thru it and every thing had to be set up on their end. We did a job and then they would put it in there. A job might be something we dropped off that day that took 4 hours. Then we would just put a total on it and they had a contract to come up with what was an acceptable price. So even if you broke in and started billing you could only bill for what we had actually done and it had a limit to it. I agree the guy was nuts, I think he lost sleep over it. Most of the PC's on site weren't even connected on a network. The only computers connected to the plotter/copier/scanner that he was afraid of getting hacked thru were mine and another guy who did design and engineering. They weren't connected to the net either.

Owner of the company was a multi multi millionaire and didn't have a computer and no email adress. The only reason they eventually moved to email was their biggest customer said we had to since we dropped drawings off in person multiple times a day at the gate. Odd, but they made incredible amounts of money.

I remember when he fired a shop guy for stealing his laptop. Everyone said the same thing "he has a laptop?". lol. I think his daughter gave it to him and it sat in the corner of his office until someone stole it.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Went out to eat, service was bad. Took forever for drinks that tasted flat/watered down and order was messed up and subpar overall. On the way home stop to fill up my 5 gallon jug and notice its taking forever to fill up. When it finally stops its halfway filled up, pull the jug out of the machine and notice the damn spout was on.

mr208

N00b
Yeah I just don't see it. Who would go thru that trouble to hack a small company that didn't even have their own email server? We logged into the customers website and billed thru it and every thing had to be set up on their end. We did a job and then they would put it in there. A job might be something we dropped off that day that took 4 hours. Then we would just put a total on it and they had a contract to come up with what was an acceptable price. So even if you broke in and started billing you could only bill for what we had actually done and it had a limit to it. I agree the guy was nuts, I think he lost sleep over it. Most of the PC's on site weren't even connected on a network. The only computers connected to the plotter/copier/scanner that he was afraid of getting hacked thru were mine and another guy who did design and engineering. They weren't connected to the net either.

Owner of the company was a multi multi millionaire and didn't have a computer and no email adress. The only reason they eventually moved to email was their biggest customer said we had to since we dropped drawings off in person multiple times a day at the gate. Odd, but they made incredible amounts of money.

I remember when he fired a shop guy for stealing his laptop. Everyone said the same thing "he has a laptop?". lol. I think his daughter gave it to him and it sat in the corner of his office until someone stole it.
Id agree the motive isnt super appealing and the risk/reward would be minimal. That is not to say that a malicious copy reapir man knows that. He could just probe for info and find, "not worth my time". Or if he figures that a significant portion of design work is done on one computer, that could be enough to ransom your company through locking down the only connected computers you do have connected. Connect another one? same deal.

Not as fringe as one may think, breaches happen all the time and many precursors go undetected until its reaction time. Also re billing - hopefully the input system didnt have vulns that could be exploited (privilege escalation, sql injection etc).

Unlikely given the scenario, maybe. Was this dude watching the copier dude the entire time a good idea? Better than not, but eh.

/rant - that dude rustles my jimmies too. Carry on good sir, and LOL at the laptop. I had a school principal back when I was in HS drop off his personal computer for me to fix as an IT support intern. He never came back for it. To my knowledge, its still there in my old bosses office.

Borzak

Speaking of rustled. The guy who had his laptop used to rustle mine. Guy was a walking computer. You would go to a meeting and they would want something just like the company did in 1975. He would say the job number and then say it was x number of pounds and then say "You're dad drew it". Get back to the office and look in the files. He was dead on every time. Super fucking annoying.

What is currently rustling my jimmies is my sleep schedule. Went to bed at 7pm and got up at midnight. Shit is getting old.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
Buy a package of Oreos and some milk at the store, get home all ready to McCheese them down, and when I pour the glass of milk, I notice it looks weird.

Oh, this bottle says Heavy Whipping Cream on it. Stupid obvious label that I didn't bother reading!

And it did not taste good
frown.png