Whats rustling your jimmies?

joz123

Potato del Grande
About a month ago the automatic locks on my car stopped working so I have to manually lock any doors that get unlocked. Yesterday my windows stopped working and one of them slides down when driving so I have to have cardboard lodged there to try to keep it up. JIMMIES FUCKING RUSTLED!!!!

• 1Jew
Reactions: 1 user

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
pirated a copy of rosetta stone a while back to learn japanese, just spent the last week learning the different ways to say things like "I", "we", "They", "them" etc various pronouns (he/she/etc) and such since they have like 3-5 different words for the same thing, depending on context. For example, "I" as in "I am learning japanese" has 4 different words:

Watashi = Formal. Outside of a formal setting, is seen as elegant and thus effeminate. used mostly by women and professionals
Atashi = Informal. "Female" version. Used by girls and young women.
Boku = Informal. "male" version. Used by boys and young men.
Ore = more Informal, more masculine. used by men mostly when talking with other men, can be seen as a "rude' version if used in formal or other settings outside of "with your boys"

So I'm trying out my newfound novice level japanese language skills with my girl and she looks at me like i'm retarded and keeps correcting me, shortening my sentences to just the equivalent of the Verb + Noun. I'm slightly confused but since she's a native speaker I take her word for it.

And of course, the very next lesson in Rosetta stone, after spending a week learning all this shit, is that yeah. Nobody speaks that way. It is just shortened to Verb + Noun. If i'm speaking to you, the "I" (the speaker) and "you" (the subject of the sentence) is implied through context, you really would never need to use the word "I" or "you" or state of being phrases like " I am" or "you are" or etc, in any setting outside of like talking to a judge or police officer or something.

Why the fuck do you have so many different words for things to denote context when your spoken language assumes context is fucking implied already and you never use any of your different words to begin with?

And why the fuck do you have 3 different fucking alphabets?

fucking japanese

• 3Like
  • 1Jew
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They are sometimes used, which is why you have to learn them I guess. Often to put emphasis on stuff. But it's a general language thing, you learn the proper way to speak, and then you learn how people actually speak, which is often quite different.

The writing shit is annoying though, it makes sense kinda at first, kanji being chinese, hiragana being japanese but then katakana is just a different variation of hiragana for no real fucking reasons other than to spell western stuff, even though you could do that shit just fine with the other.

• 1Jew
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Tsar Bomba

Molten Core Raider
pirated a copy of rosetta stone a while back to learn japanese, just spent the last week learning the different ways to say things like "I", "we", "They", "them" etc various pronouns (he/she/etc) and such since they have like 3-5 different words for the same thing, depending on context. For example, "I" as in "I am learning japanese" has 4 different words:

Watashi = Formal. Outside of a formal setting, is seen as elegant and thus effeminate. used mostly by women and professionals
Atashi = Informal. "Female" version. Used by girls and young women.
Boku = Informal. "male" version. Used by boys and young men.
Ore = more Informal, more masculine. used by men mostly when talking with other men, can be seen as a "rude' version if used in formal or other settings outside of "with your boys"

So I'm trying out my newfound novice level japanese language skills with my girl and she looks at me like i'm retarded and keeps correcting me, shortening my sentences to just the equivalent of the Verb + Noun. I'm slightly confused but since she's a native speaker I take her word for it.

And of course, the very next lesson in Rosetta stone, after spending a week learning all this shit, is that yeah. Nobody speaks that way. It is just shortened to Verb + Noun. If i'm speaking to you, the "I" (the speaker) and "you" (the subject of the sentence) is implied through context, you really would never need to use the word "I" or "you" or state of being phrases like " I am" or "you are" or etc, in any setting outside of like talking to a judge or police officer or something.

Why the fuck do you have so many different words for things to denote context when your spoken language assumes context is fucking implied already and you never use any of your different words to begin with?

And why the fuck do you have 3 different fucking alphabets?

fucking japanese

I think you're turning Japanese. You're turning Japanese. I really think so...

• 1Like
  • 1Jew
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I need a free time to study japanese so that I can go to japan and pick up a waifu there or actually work there like Chysamere Chysamere and be a weeabo full time

• 1Jew

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I need a free time to study japanese so that I can go to japan and pick up a waifu there or actually work there like Chysamere Chysamere and be a weeabo full time

I learned Katakana and Hiragana in primary school but I still don't have a decent grasp of Kanji. I mean I could pick it up but why would you bother?

You really don't need Japanese to live here at all.

• 1Jew
  • 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Shit, I wish I had someone to practice my Japanese with. Studied it for over 8 years, went over to Japan twice and I barely have anything to use it on other than FFRK JP banners, so I've forgotten most of it. Can still remember some kanji that sank in, though. Mostly easy shit like tree/forest/woods, dog, cat, fish, and rape.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
bro you wanna trade we can.

there's basically 3 types of military guys stationed here in Japan.

1. Anime watching waifu hunting weeaboo fucks 'omg culture' who love everything japanese because it's japanese
2. Yellow fever I just wanna fuck asian chicks
3. And the "I go where they send me / didn't really have a say in the matter / don't give a shit it's just a job" types.

I was squarely in the number 3 category. And you can get by well enough, with some important caveats*, without knowing the language. So I never bothered to try. Besides it was just 3 years, right. Except when it came time to re-up well, military is broke as shit (Well until Trump takes office) so yeah, not enough money to send you home, so welcome to another 4+ years in Japan. Oh it'll be spent in yet another part of Japan with a very small % of english speakers, enjoy.

So yeah, time to learn japanese.

I learned Katakana and Hiragana in primary school but I still don't have a decent grasp of Kanji. I mean I could pick it up but why would you bother?

You really don't need Japanese to live here at all.
I wouldn't say "at all"

It depends on where you live of course. I'd equate the English speaking here to the Spanish speakers in America. Well actually a decent percentage less than the Spanish speakers in America. Sure, in some areas of the country Spanish is prevalent. Parts of SoCal, New Mexico, Texas, etc you can get by fine only knowing Spanish.

But then again, in other areas of the country you'd be hard pressed to find a single spanish speaker and just getting through daily life where outside interaction is required turns into a struggle, every conversation ends up involving using google translate on your phone.

So yeah, if you are the one choosing where you are going to live, you can pick the spots where English alone is good enough. If you don't have a choice, ie you are being stationed some place, then nah.

*Like most things it basically comes down to sex. While overall the % of available women who are cool with dating american's is impressive, the % of those who speak english well enough to date are exceptionally low. Again it depends on where you are but it doesn't really matter if 20% of the general population speaks english when 90% of that number are old people, dudes, and elementary school aged children. The % of available fuckable women is marginal and the number of swinging dicks competing for them, it's just not worth it. Especially considering the vast sea of beautiful women available to you if you just learn how to start a conversation with them in their language. Most people here can at the very least rudimentally read english, but they are shy/lack confidence speaking it unless they are damn near fluent. Once you get over the initial hurdle you can pretty much near carry on a relationship via text messages, even while sitting across from one another at dinner.

• 1Like

Siliconemelons

U in okanawa bro? that's where my marine cuz was stationed - came back with a Filipino wife and a kid already before he had his first trip back home- she was in school/college/something in japan. Cant blame him as my wife is Asian... in fact of all the people I know that like Asians I am the only one that has an American Asian - and NOT in the military.. lol... well the air force guy his is an American Asian, but she was born overseas and adopted by white folks..

Asian languages are jimmy rustling in just their nature.

• 1Jew

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I'd amend that to "human languages" are jimmy rustling in their nature. Computer languages make so much more sense.

Fuck accents and emphasis. Fuck 4 "different sounds" for the letter U that all sound exactly the same, and youre lying if you pretend to be able to tell the difference. Fuck little squiggly lines on top of some letters but not others. Fuck silent letters. But yes, fuck tonal languages most of all.

• 1Jew
  • 1Solidarity

Siliconemelons

... But yes, fuck tonal languages most of all.

Most of the others have rules on their silent etc... Tonals are just lulz you said Shhrraaa!! and that's horrifically affronted to all of us in this room, now the Yakuza are going to keel u... vs sshhRraa "oh your just frustrated, like oh shit my team lost the game :-(" - or ssshh..aaahhh "whispered into your girls ear you now have got her soaking...

this is just bull random and not real example - but an example of WTF people! really!! cmon!

• 1Jew

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Motherfucking Monday after a holiday in my office...all hell has broken loose....everyone has a perceived emergency that they expect me to manage NOW... 2 of my staff are about to be written up...and then my sister calls me because her sister in law called her asking my sis to get a shower chair for s-i-l Mother (so...my sister's M-I-L). S-I-L has a damn masters degree and works in health care...rehab medicine. .. She and her husband live very well and are a low to mid 6 figure family. She can go to Walgreens and buy a damn shower chair and not waste my sister's or my fucking time. DAMMIT.

• 1Jew

Mur

Trakanon Raider
The fact that this song is playing at work right now, and I'll be subjected to this horseshit for 8 hours a day for the next month.

• 1Jew
  • 1Solidarity

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
U in okanawa bro? that's where my marine cuz was stationed - came back with a Filipino wife and a kid already before he had his first trip back home- she was in school/college/something in japan. Cant blame him as my wife is Asian... in fact of all the people I know that like Asians I am the only one that has an American Asian - and NOT in the military.. lol... well the air force guy his is an American Asian, but she was born overseas and adopted by white folks..

Ya Okinawa currently for 2.5 years. Next year I'm going to Iwakuni.

Your cuz is not uncommon. From my time at the embassy dealing with passport issues I can tell you the line for fiancé visas is easily 10 Philippino brides for every 1 Japanese, and it's not like there's some huge surplus of Philippinos here. And 90% of those Japanese brides have no intention of ever leaving Japan.

Most Americans you meet with Japanese wives either got out/retired or are in the process of getting out/retiring, rotating through the various bases in Japan, mainland, Okinawa, etc until their service is up.

If you wanna marry a Japanese woman you better love Japan cus you are staying here, integrating into their society. If you wanna return home to America you find someone else.

• 1Jew

Siliconemelons

Yeah, Japanese rarely leave to come here to be wives etc. the dudes stay there- and its usually what they want.

Every Filipino wife brought back or brought over that I know of personally (1 my cuz and 3 co-workers) all work and send $$ home- some of them almost 100% of what they earn- and all of them are dedicated and long standing marriages with kids. Not that there is anything wrong than supporting your fam - I just think its odd culturally that the eldest female is the one expected to do this (take care of mom n dad etc.) while some have younger sisters and older brothers etc. who do whatever they want.

• 1Jew