Whats rustling your jimmies?

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
The R/Conservative forum on Reddit, exists solely as controlled opposition.

That and the inescapable thought, that upon their death these walking containers of empty calories will be so filled with toxin that not even the bacteria or maggots will want to break down their diseased flesh.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
My jimmies are rustled by people dragging sad politics into every goddamn forum here.

"That and the inescapable thought, that upon their death these walking containers of empty calories will be so filled with toxin that not even the bacteria or maggots..."

Now THIS I can agree on, not from any political angle, but from a gamer diet of soda and way too many preservatives for my body to break down normally :p

• 1Harrow
Reactions: 1 user

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
God I hate college kids (including graduate students).

I live in a college town now. Went out to dinner with a bunch of my girlfriend's friends. All females of the species. All middle class. All hwhite. All in school to be lawyers.

They started talking politics and I went to the bar and ended up drinking with a dad who is in town for Parents' Weekend.

I'm 28 and I'm a boomer dad and I have no regrets.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Fucking windows. I have like 6 folders that I always keep open, so I checked the box in options to open folders from the last session every time I log in. But windows doesn't keep them in the same fucking order. And since Windows 7 (I believe) you can no longer drag windows around to re-arrange them on the task bar.

Oh and for some fucking reason when you hover over them instead of getting the name of the folder you get a picture of it. Fuck a fucking picture of a goddam folder. In windows 7 there was an option to turn that shit off and get text again, I haven't found it in windows 10 yet.

So every day I just have to relearn what order the windows are in and hope windows doesn't do it's bullshit and re-arrange them for no reason during the day.

Kithani

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have a question for those of you in IT.

What sort of super stealth ninja cyber warfare attack is being defended against when you lock a user's account after typing the wrong password three times? Is there some data out there that 3 attempts is a good threshold? It seems like any intruder will either a) already have your password or b) need to brute force it with 100s of attempts, whereas the most common user typing it in 3x is someone that either left capslock on, made a typo a few times or is trying to remember which password they used for XYZ account.

I'm half convinced IT makes it easy to lock an account just so they can keep their call volume up and look useful.

• 1Worf

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>

What sort of super stealth ninja cyber warfare attack is being defended against when you lock a user's account after typing the wrong password three times? Is there some data out there that 3 attempts is a good threshold? It seems like any intruder will either a) already have your password or b) need to brute force it with 100s of attempts, whereas the most common user typing it in 3x is someone that either left capslock on, made a typo a few times or is trying to remember which password they used for XYZ account.

I'm half convinced IT makes it easy to lock an account just so they can keep their call volume up and look useful.

One of those things that sounds ok on paper, but is awful in practice. Kind of like having 30 different work accounts for all the programs, and each one makes you change the password monthly, with ridiculous password requirements. Counter productive, because people WILL write that shit down unsecure. It hurts security in the long run.

• 1Like

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I was going to say its to punish you for not having the PW on a sticky note.

I set them at 10. I'm sure the lower threshold of 3 is to make up for weak passwords. I don't mind it being 3 when its an online banking PW.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Partly bad management.

At my place windows passwords expire every 30 days. Ive tried reasoning with the person in charge of policy and they dont care, they will not change it from 30 days.

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Needed to update xfinity mobile billing card. I'd changed my number last year, when logged in it shows the new number on my phone thru the website. But.... if I try to change my recovery phone mumber to it, it rejects it as in use by another account..... ffs. Sorta similiar situation with my grocery store, changing a number seems nigh impossible at least with the staff i've talked to because they have no measures for booting the number off another account.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Trying to get a large sum international credit card purchase to go through.

As documented in the "Shit I Just Bought" thread, buying a sword from England. Need to put a decently-sized deposit down. AmEx is my card for that, rewards, protection, all that. Other cards are also debit, so no way I'm using those in case things get fucked up and suddenly my account is empty.

I call bank (USAA, so for those in the know, a solid company that isn't trying to fuck you over or ships CS to India) to pre-auth. They say good to go. Card declined. Re-try again with confirming all my info is correct, declined again. Call USAA again, they say the code is saying it was declined before even getting to them, so AmEx must be stopping it somehow. Call AmEx, enter info, it forwards me to USAA. Call back, keep saying "representative" until it finally sends me to one. They say my card doesn't exist to their system, since it is issued by USAA, which is correct and as it should be. Still, I tell them they are fucking it up somehow. Raises to another level, still saying they aren't doing shit with it, call USAA. Call USAA back, tell them all that, they say there is literally nothing they can do because it is throwing the code before it even gets to them, and it is definitely AmEx because the retailer starts with them, but I'm probably shit out of luck finding someone that can track that down and fix it. Also, retailer probably thinks I'm shady as fuck by now.

AmEx is tied to my PayPal. I ask the retailer if he can invoice me that way. He does. Payment goes through literally instantaneously.

WTF American Express?? What good are you?

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole

As documented in the "Shit I Just Bought" thread, buying a sword from England. Need to put a decently-sized deposit down. AmEx is my card for that, rewards, protection, all that. Other cards are also debit, so no way I'm using those in case things get fucked up and suddenly my account is empty.

I call bank (USAA, so for those in the know, a solid company that isn't trying to fuck you over or ships CS to India) to pre-auth. They say good to go. Card declined. Re-try again with confirming all my info is correct, declined again. Call USAA again, they say the code is saying it was declined before even getting to them, so AmEx must be stopping it somehow. Call AmEx, enter info, it forwards me to USAA. Call back, keep saying "representative" until it finally sends me to one. They say my card doesn't exist to their system, since it is issued by USAA, which is correct and as it should be. Still, I tell them they are fucking it up somehow. Raises to another level, still saying they aren't doing shit with it, call USAA. Call USAA back, tell them all that, they say there is literally nothing they can do because it is throwing the code before it even gets to them, and it is definitely AmEx because the retailer starts with them, but I'm probably shit out of luck finding someone that can track that down and fix it. Also, retailer probably thinks I'm shady as fuck by now.

AmEx is tied to my PayPal. I ask the retailer if he can invoice me that way. He does. Payment goes through literally instantaneously.

What's rustling my jimmies is finding out some nerd is spending 8 grand? on a nerd sword.

• 1Worf

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Eh, I get it. But it has been a dream purchase of mine for over 20 years. In that time, I've certainly spent more (total) on dumber things.
8 grand? you better get into an ACTUAL swordfight with that goddamn thing, or at least murder someone with it.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Unidin

Molten Core Raider

It's likely the card processor declining it. They have fraud protection built in and when he runs it, they're checking the info is perfect. Is your address exactly the same on his site as on your card profile? Is the phone number the same? Is it a really large purchase hand keyed in another country?

They don't want to deal with chargebacks and will decline if anything seems off. Not a ton you can do about it.

Source: I worked in a bank and dealt with this a bunch.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
8 grand? you better get into an ACTUAL swordfight with that goddamn thing, or at least murder someone with it.
Actual legit swords are surprisingly expensive. My brother spent a little over a $1000 on his and its nothing fancy or high end.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Eh, I get it. But it has been a dream purchase of mine for over 20 years. In that time, I've certainly spent more (total) on dumber things.
A friend has one. Bought it a long time ago. Custom made in Japan. ULTRA WICKED THING IT IS. I took two swipes in the air with it and had immediate respect for it. I handed it back because I valued my limbs.

He also has a genuine reproduction Mongol horseback bow (or whatever it is called). Also mad respect for how awesome those things are.

• 2Like

elbas

Molten Core Raider
Fucking windows. I have like 6 folders that I always keep open, so I checked the box in options to open folders from the last session every time I log in. But windows doesn't keep them in the same fucking order. And since Windows 7 (I believe) you can no longer drag windows around to re-arrange them on the task bar.

I also have lots of windows open and also prefer them to be in the same order all the time. I use a utility called 7+ Taskbar Tweaker to move the applications around in the taskbar: 7+ Taskbar Tweaker - RaMMicHaeL's Blog. Left click on any icon in the group to move the whole group around in the task bar. Right click to move a single icon around within the group (you have to enable right click in the 7+ option panel in Grouping -> Drag within groups using right mouse button). This would allow you to move your open folders to always be in the same order.

• 2Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Looks like I need to start making a hive that will soon need rescuing from this bee expert. Because bees are important to the environment of course.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users