Whats rustling your jimmies?

Siliconemelons

I'm the post-it guy. What else can you do when you have 15 different systems you have to log in to, all with shitty (yet slightly different) password policies.

People keep forgetting their passwords and have to call the help desk for resets. This leads to help desk being overwhelmed by simple password resets. So they implement a "forgot password" option on all systems that will ask you a couple questions then email the password to your outlook.

So now all you have to do is get access to my outlook to get all my passwords.

SECURITY!
exactly... but you all seriously do not know how much stupid money "network security engineers" make by swooping into a company- implementing some *bullshit* BEST PRACTICES to get the company's security UP TO DATE take 2 or so years to get everything flushed in- then move on to another company as a manager/vp etc while the company they left starts to fold under the real world implications of all the shit policy's introduced- and the poor shlob that replaced the guy gets all the blame.

my jimmys are seriously rustled about this kinda shit in the IT side of the world.

Siliconemelons

I have to update a GD sharepoint daily for my job, testify brother
amen...we thought we all could leave frontpage behind us... but no! its shitty tendrils will surface in something yet more reborn in that is Microsoft!

Hey! you all gone to 100% Lync Phones yet? We are! who needs landlines or standard IP phones?! Lync yo...

barf

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
My company moved to a "social network" system from jivesoftware. It's pretty much the bastard child from a gangbang with wikipedia, facebook, and youtube. It's got a lot of issues, but still better than SharePoint.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
http://keepass.info/+ dropbox(or google drive or whatever)

Make your passwords as convoluted and long as possible, you never have to remember them. All you have to remember is the password to your vault, and the login to your computer(s).
That's what I do at home, and at work where I'm the closest thing to a "computer expert" they have, but I know a LOT of companies would never let you install something like Keepass, let alone Dropbox where you could theoretically "steal company sekretz" just by dropping it in there. Obviously if we wanted to steal it we'd figure a way around not having it, but you get the point. Any companies large enough to feel the need for retarded password policies like those is likely to have their desktops/workstations locked down so you can't do shit with them.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
This shit right here. Fuck its no wonder no one in WV works.
http://news.msn.com/us/govt-aid-pays...b-in-35-states
I think the guy making this graphic should be on welfare too:

_h353_w628_m6_otrue_lfalse.jpg

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
trailer spoiled everything. will not watch.
That's one thing that rustles my jimmies. Trailers that show you the entire story. Maybe there's a twist but come the fuck on, either show bunch of random scenes without any voice over that gives away the story, or show the first half of the story, not the entire fucking thing.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
exactly... but you all seriously do not know how much stupid money "network security engineers" make by swooping into a company- implementing some *bullshit* BEST PRACTICES to get the company's security UP TO DATE take 2 or so years to get everything flushed in- then move on to another company as a manager/vp etc while the company they left starts to fold under the real world implications of all the shit policy's introduced- and the poor shlob that replaced the guy gets all the blame.

my jimmys are seriously rustled about this kinda shit in the IT side of the world.
Is SSO not an option? I mean, really. I'm on the other side of this. I implemented best practices to a company in order to get them pci compliant and modernized. They've never been this organized. One user is making a stink about kiosk mode, basically causing a shit storm because she doesn't have desktop icons. But when I showed the owner of the company why we're using kiosk mode for entry level employees, they made the same choice I did. People get tired of shit systems breaking all the time because of no access restrictions on printer preferences etc. Its cheaper to hire someone to implement a good philosophy than it is to pay for the same issue every month. Now instead of always just fixing printers, we're actually using funds for other things and addressing issues they never had time for.

Siliconemelons

Is SSO not an option? I mean, really. I'm on the other side of this. I implemented best practices to a company in order to get them pci compliant and modernized. They've never been this organized. One user is making a stink about kiosk mode, basically causing a shit storm because she doesn't have desktop icons. But when I showed the owner of the company why we're using kiosk mode for entry level employees, they made the same choice I did. People get tired of shit systems breaking all the time because of no access restrictions on printer preferences etc. Its cheaper to hire someone to implement a good philosophy than it is to pay for the same issue every month. Now instead of always just fixing printers, we're actually using funds for other things and addressing issues they never had time for.
doing things properly is fine, I am not saying have no security, I am not saying don't use active directory groups access permissions etc etc- I am in higher ed so its the fucked up government but not accessability but openness and 4034930493 different systems- and we just upgraded active directory that was on 2k forever because no one wanted to do the work or the upgrades that needed to go along with it- we have about 4 systems out of each other that cannot play nice with SSO via AD- and fucking macs- we haven't implemented ANYTHING to get our macs to play nice on our domains so they are just fucking rouge shits out there doing whatever they want. my rustleing is about how oh my super hard passwords and shit make EVERYTHING okay! no...not true :p

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Recently in one of my "Advanced Networking and Systems Management" classes we had literally 3 weeks of discussion questions all based around password policy and bullshit % charts etc etc of how this crap increases security exponentially - a minimum of 5 characters is inherently secure while a minimum of 10 characters is 10000% more secure than - bla bla the fuck bla blady-bla bla.

I must have been the only student that was not fresh from highschool or their first round of college and every week was like "in theory the stricter the password policy the better the theoretical security etc... BUT when you input the factor of THE END USER all this shit goes out the fucking window!" If you make the passwords expire too frequently you get the ABC or 123 of a character change so rrj@#5! turns to rrj@#6! etc etc - if you make it to complicated that you cannot possibly make your password anything coherent (no words etc) you are more likely to not have anyone commit their passwords to memory (and by the time they do THEY FUCKING EXPIRE) so you get post-it-note syndrome... 50% of the time I go sit at a desk to fix someone's ham handed "I broke my computer" issue I can find their password somewhere around their desk.

So you all are going to get a nice wave of "newly trained" network admins that know from the book that TO INCREASE SECURITY WE MUST IMPLEMENT STUPID PASSWORD POLICYS . argh!
Those who cant, teach.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
I remember my mom saying that to my high school principal "those who can can, those who cant teach" fucking awesome BP !!

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think it's "Those who can, do... those who can't, teach". And I don't think it means what your mom thinks it means.