Whats rustling your jimmies?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Nope, weighing anchor is raising it off the sea floor. Dropping anchor is, well, dropping it. Anchors aweigh is reporting to the officer/captain that the anchor has been raised and the ship is now officially under way (Even if its not moving, as long as its not still tied up to anything).
OK thanks for clearing that up. Is there an special term for when you have to leave the anchor behind?

Izo

Tranny Chaser
It's aweigh. The US Navy spells it anchors aweigh. It's even in their song.
rrr_img_108133.jpg

VariaVespasa_sl

shitlord
OK thanks for clearing that up. Is there an special term for when you have to leave the anchor behind?
Thats "cut the anchor" and is related to the phrase "cut and run". Obviously thats become a perjorative term in other services, but in naval parlance it means cut (the anchor cable/chain) and run (before the wind/get underway immediately (without the delay of raising the anchor)). Necessary when surprised at anchor by enemy vessels or when riding out a storm at anchor becomes impossible, and thus not a suggestion of cowardice. Originated back in the days of sail where you didnt have to spend however long getting up steam before you could move the ship, and when ships were much more likely to try and anchor during a storm rather than ride it out at sea.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Not a jimmie rustle, but just to high light another commonly mis-used / mis-understood phrase, is when people refer to the main character or 'the good guy' in a film as the protagonist.

Because the true use of the term is that the protagonist in a film is the character who is causing events/things to happen. The other guy is the Antagonist is the one who is trying to stop the protagonist, or the events that he's causing.

So quite often, it's the bad guy who is the protagonist. eg: Die Hard, Hans Gruber is the one who leads a bunch of heavily armed men, who take numerous hostages, kill people and crack the safe, all a big plan to steal a huge amount of money. < Oh shit Spoilers, sorry >

And in Die Hard it is John McClain who is trying to stop Hans and his men doing all the stuff listed above. He is actually the Antagonist.

/ end Sheldon mode.

VariaVespasa_sl

shitlord
Um, the protagonist is the main character in a book or movie. No good or bad is implied, merely being the main character. Not sure where you're getting the idea that the protagonist has to be the one causing things to happen, specifically. They often are, but its not inherent. Cite your source please.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Still about characters in movies and/or any form of entertainment, people who don't know the definition of anti-hero.

Turgur_sl

shitlord
Not a jimmie rustle, but just to high light another commonly mis-used / mis-understood phrase, is when people refer to the main character or 'the good guy' in a film as the protagonist.

Because the true use of the term is that the protagonist in a film is the character who is causing events/things to happen. The other guy is the Antagonist is the one who is trying to stop the protagonist, or the events that he's causing.

So quite often, it's the bad guy who is the protagonist. eg: Die Hard, Hans Gruber is the one who leads a bunch of heavily armed men, who take numerous hostages, kill people and crack the safe, all a big plan to steal a huge amount of money. < Oh shit Spoilers, sorry >

And in Die Hard it is John McClain who is trying to stop Hans and his men doing all the stuff listed above. He is actually the Antagonist.

/ end Sheldon mode.
This isn't correct. The protagonist in Die Hard is John McClane. As Varia said, the protagonist in a story is simply the main character.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
I think the prot in protagonist comes from proto, or first. Agonist is just someone engaged in a contest or struggle. It's not a for/against type thing like Progress / Congress.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Ah well I could get into a whole thing of cutting and pasting quotes from the net, but having a look around there are references to both sides of the usage. So it's not going to get us any real solid answer, so yeah perhaps both uses are valid. I'm happy with that.

Maybe look at it more as a way to use the term to analyze the role that characters have in a story.

Here's the sort of thing I was referring to:

Redefining Protagonist and Main Character - Narrative First

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
That link talks about redefining it though. In other words, he wants to change what it was commonly accepted as, not that people are using it wrong now.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
I have reached maximum over rustle!

Gutted my daughters bathroom (minus the shower)painted, replaced toilet, vanity, floor, faucets etc. The valves under the sink are old and solder on, I cut off water to the house, cut the pipe and put on shiny new valves, but the fucking water won't turn back on. Shitty fucking thing broke on me and now the entire house is without water until tomorrow when a plumber can come replace the valve with a proper one.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
*bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop* *bloop*

BITCH TURN YOUR PHONE'S KEY CLICKS OFF

Also I can hear your obnoxious text notification even when you're in the shitter.