Whats rustling your jimmies?

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fucker

Log Wizard
Again, no. If you have some scientific studies to back that up, then by all means please show us. But your statement is exactly what was touted a few years ago here and elsewhere on the internet. It is not true. Sweet taste doesn't trigger insulin. Sugar does. And sure, when I say "sugar" that includes high fructose corn syrup because...spoiler alert...fructose is still a form of sugar. Technically sucralose and other artificial sweeteners are too, just so you don't try to get pedantic on me. But the difference is that you need something on the order of 1/1000th the amount of sucralose to get the same sweet taste. So you only need (being totally unscientific here on purpose) about 1/1000th the amount of insulin. Which is not going to cause diabetes in anyone.

If you disagree, show me something that isn't just someone else's opinion on the internet.
^
That's all there is to it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Again, no. If you have some scientific studies to back that up, then by all means please show us. But your statement is exactly what was touted a few years ago here and elsewhere on the internet. It is not true. Sweet taste doesn't trigger insulin. Sugar does. And sure, when I say "sugar" that includes high fructose corn syrup because...spoiler alert...fructose is still a form of sugar. Technically sucralose and other artificial sweeteners are too, just so you don't try to get pedantic on me. But the difference is that you need something on the order of 1/1000th the amount of sucralose to get the same sweet taste. So you only need (being totally unscientific here on purpose) about 1/1000th the amount of insulin. Which is not going to cause diabetes in anyone.

If you disagree, show me something that isn't just someone else's opinion on the internet.
Just what I remembered but you're probably/possibly right, I'm too lazy to check in depth, when I did a quick google the main results seemed to say that instead, the sweet taste without actual sugar makes you want to eat more sugar stuff, so people then consume more shit on the side, which then causes the increased diabetes cases. So it's not a direct cause, as long as you don't also eat a shit ton of sugar on the side which would make you right.

With that said, there's still a lot of shit in Coca Cola/Dr Pepper and so on, diet or not, so that shit's not healthy if that's all you drink. But also with that said, I drink one glass of garbage(currently apple juice which is really bad like most juices, or so I hear) a day personally so I'm not gonna judge anyone. Moderation is key.

On the rustling part, bought a new TV, this shit fucking talks to me when I sit down on the remote and press one of the stupid buttons like Google Play or Netflix because it's not connected to Internet(because fuck that, I just want to watch things it doesn't need to be connected). I haven't found a way to just make it display a message, it's fucking weird when I'm watching some shit and inadvertently move and press the button, especially since it's apparently louder than the shit I'm watching. Fucking Smart TVs, first one I own and it's not so bad but like, why, who made this shit and thought it'd be a good idea? Just need to remember to put the remote on the side or something so it's not a big deal but just fucking weird.

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Some chick that I work with (I know it's the fuckin project manager.)reported me to HR. I can not make this up. For having a demonic picture in my AD profile.

I had a gun as my profile pic at work for a while and I was surprised no one said anything. But one of the head honchos has a picture of him shooting an AR so I was probably safe.

• 1Like

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
If you already have Type 2 diabetes, you will have greater insulin resistance over time by consuming artificial sweeteners.

Here's a study and publication on it. Listed December 2019.

Those given sucralose had higher blood insulin levels.[5,6]

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Again, no. If you have some scientific studies to back that up, then by all means please show us.

I don't even know where to go to get scientific studies. How about articles that talk about studies? I don't understand all the lingo so I'm basing this off of the results.

"The HOMAIR values for Group A and B ranged from 0.9–24.33 and 0.12–10.83 with mean values 7.39 and 2.6, respectively, showing that the ones who used AS had a higher insulin resistance. The study also showed that the duration of use of artificial sweeteners had a direct impact on insulin resistance."

"To get a better idea of how artificial sweeteners actually affect a person's metabolism, researchers have conducted studies in which people drink artificially sweetened beverages and then undergo a glucose tolerance test— a measure of how efficiently the body uses sugar. Two recent studies have found that beverages containing sucralose (Splenda) and acesulfame potassium (Sunett, Sweet One) increased insulin levels, while drinking water didn't."

This one has a few interesting quotes.
"In theory, our body shouldn’t produce insulin in response to consuming artificial sweeteners. Indeed, studies show that aspartame doesn’t directly raise insulin levels."
"The effect of sweeteners on the body’s insulin response, especially over time, isn’t something that’s been well studied. However, one recent study of patients with Type II diabetes found that those who consumed artificial sweeteners (the study didn’t specify which types) had a higher level of insulin resistance than those who didn’t consume artificial sweeteners. In other words, their bodies weren’t able to process sugars as well. "

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
The middle link I posted shows that the body does produce insulin in response to artificial sweeteners even though it doesn't need it. That what I have heard leads to insulin resistance and generally throwing your body's insulin response out of whack. Remember hyper and hypo glycemia are both diabetes.

We need Izo Izo to chime in. Do we have any other FoH doctors? Most of the articles I read say that diet drinks are fine for a short while if they're used to wean yourself off of sugar.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
The middle link I posted shows that the body does produce insulin in response to artificial sweeteners even though it doesn't need it. That what I have heard leads to insulin resistance and generally throwing your body's insulin response out of whack. Remember hyper and hypo glycemia are both diabetes.

We need Izo Izo to chime in. Do we have any other FoH doctors? Most of the articles I read say that diet drinks are fine for a short while if they're used to wean yourself off of sugar.

Aspartame Consumption for 12 Weeks Does Not Affect Glycemia, Appetite, or Body Weight of Healthy, Lean Adults in a Randomized Controlled Trial

No correlation in meta analysis, afaik.

Fatties and dm2 need to get interval-exercise, thus get their insulin resistance down by means of upregulation of recepters/ depleting short term sugar term depots regularly. Move them thighs in short. There’s more to that story, ask Ossoi Ossoi

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Some chick that I work with (I know it's the fuckin project manager.)reported me to HR. I can not make this up. For having a demonic picture in my AD profile. I've been asked to remove it. Going to put a doo-rag picture of myself there to replace.

Here's the picture.

View attachment 342799
haha I had a woman complain to me about her extension ending with 666.

See this is the kind of shit that if a man complained about to another man they would be rightfully ridiculed to no end for.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Aspartame Consumption for 12 Weeks Does Not Affect Glycemia, Appetite, or Body Weight of Healthy, Lean Adults in a Randomized Controlled Trial

No correlation in meta analysis, afaik.

Fatties and dm2 need to get interval-exercise, thus get their insulin resistance down by means of upregulation of recepters/ depleting short term sugar term depots regularly. Move them thighs in short. There’s more to that story, ask Ossoi Ossoi

Fucking hell, the word insulin and all associated discussion needs to be fucking banned from this fucking board.

Jesus Fucking christ, you know what the film CANDYMAN was actually based on? Fucking retards that think carbohydrates are gonna kill them, and saying INSULIN three times summons forth an autistic, angry Brit with sub 10% body fat and fingers of fury.

FJUCK OF THIS THITFKCIING SHIT

At least next time I visit my Domme I know how she can inflict real, actual pain on me: "nah forget the whips, the chains and the 12" strapons, I got you a print out of the FOH retards discussing insulin again. Can you read the following threads back to me whilst I'm handcuffed and ballgagged so I can't reply"

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
No, it really doesn't. Fucker explained some of it well. I know that was the common thought a few years ago, likely perpetuated on reddit or 4chan or something, but it doesn't. It takes nothing more than checking your blood sugar after drinking it to prove it. I'm at risk for diabetes because of my dad and because I ate like shit much of my life, so I've gone through periods where they had me check it extensively to monitor stuff like insulin reaction/resistance, etc. Drinking a normal soda vs. a diet soda (and nothing else, so you know nothing else is interfering) is night and day in terms of what it does to your blood sugar. There is no "your body still thinks it is sugar so it produces insulin anyway", nor is there any other "tricking" of your body. It is not sugar, and it doesn't affect your blood sugar any more than water does. You can debate the healthiness of all the chemicals and caffeine, but that's a different subject. Bottom line, switching to diet makes a difference in staving off diabetes. You can still get it if everything else you eat is shit, obviously, but it isn't going to be as quick as if you drank sugar sodas as well.
Agree. If sweetness without sugar triggered an insulin response, emergency rooms would be flooded with people who drank diet soda or ate food with sugar substitutes due to low blood sugar.

• 1Quality Calories

Serpens

<Silver Donator>
This one has a few interesting quotes.
"In theory, our body shouldn’t produce insulin in response to consuming artificial sweeteners. Indeed, studies show that aspartame doesn’t directly raise insulin levels."
"The effect of sweeteners on the body’s insulin response, especially over time, isn’t something that’s been well studied. However, one recent study of patients with Type II diabetes found that those who consumed artificial sweeteners (the study didn’t specify which types) had a higher level of insulin resistance than those who didn’t consume artificial sweeteners. In other words, their bodies weren’t able to process sugars as well. "
Diabetics who don't use artificial sweeteners probably eat better in general than those who do. Was that accounted for in the study, i.e. what else they consumed?

• 1Galaxy Brain

Scoresby

Trakanon Raider
Diabetics who don't use artificial sweeteners probably eat better in general than those who do. Was that accounted for in the study, i.e. what else they consumed?

Yup, correlation doesn't equal causation. The data can be accurate, but it doesn't mean artificial sweeteners are the cause. The hypothesis that people who use them might not eat as healthy sounds like it would be worth a look though.

I also agree that getting out and moving goes a long way. Sprint training got me back in shape crazy fast (I did feel like there was a significant chance I might keel over in those first few weeks).

• 1Galaxy Brain

Guurn

<Bronze Donator>
Isn't someone supposed to jump in now and say something incredibly enlightened like trust the science or the science is settled it some other retarded crap like that?

Hoss

<Gold Donor>

You sound like someone who is emotionally involved with his views on the subject and is afraid to question them. Read the fucking articles and find the studies they reference if you want to know. I don't care. I already know I won't understand the jargon so I'm stopping at reading the conclusions.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
You sound like someone who is emotionally involved with his views on the subject and is afraid to question them. Read the fucking articles and find the studies they reference if you want to know. I don't care. I already know I won't understand the jargon so I'm stopping at reading the conclusions.
You should read meta studies. Individual small studies that aren’t even high grade A evidence (e.g. RCT and meta) is not worth your time. Think of meta as a trend amung the top studies, and preferably on rct’s. Individual studies a priori, you have to be sceptical about. If you really want to dig into critical article reading (e.g. Seeing where the data comes from, what study populations etc), you don’t read the conclusions alone. If you do you’re basically reading facebook (well...). Cheers.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
You should read meta studies. Individual small studies that aren’t even high grade A evidence (e.g. RCT and meta) is not worth your time. Think of meta as a trend amung the top studies, and preferably on rct’s. Individual studies a priori, you have to be sceptical about. If you really want to dig into critical article reading (e.g. Seeing where the data comes from, what study populations etc), you don’t read the conclusions alone. If you do you’re basically reading facebook (well...). Cheers.

I think all of the articles I read said it hadn't been studied enough. Can there be meta studies on something that has barely been studied?

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
So I'm using plex to watch Dexter and when I finished the last episode of season 3 it jumped to the first episode of season 5. Those of you familiar with the show know that something pretty fucking shocking happens at the end of season 4 and now that thing has been spoiled for me.

There are no words in Elvish, Entish, or the Tongues of Men for how rustled I am.
I did the same thing when reading game of thrones, and the red wedding is what I skipped. Quit reading the series when I realized.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
I think all of the articles I read said it hadn't been studied enough. Can there be meta studies on something that has barely been studied?
Good point. Look on cochrane. If there’s already a cochrane on it, it’s not new. There is, I linked one. Second is to search for rct’s on the subject. An rct is usually expensive. If there’s an rct, there’s usually preliminary research. I linked an rct. So it’s not a new subject. This is top down from the pyramid of evidence. You’re linking individual studies from the other end.
Granted sometimes ground breaking new studies emerge. You catch those from the respectable journals and citations. See below.

You really should pick up a science 1-0-1 course, would do you wonders. Or just google a bit on EBM or evidence levels. It’s pretty fundamental. Not being a dick, just trying to push you in the right direction. Reading studies at random is usualy not very productive. Follow a respective journal on the subject. Like nature, lancet, nejm or jama even. Most of these have subgenres depending on your pov and need.

• 1Like