Whats rustling your jimmies?

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Excel autocomplete.

If I type AB20, and hit enter, it records "AB20" in the cell. So far so good.
If I then type AB2, and hit enter, it fucking records "AB20" in the cell.

No you fucking asshole. I didnt hit "tab enter". I didnt click on a suggested phrase. I typed "AB2" and hit enter. Fuck you right in the ass if you record ANYTHING besides "AB2" in the cell.

It’s 2024, juiced up versions of autocomplete are now writing code and running critical systems, but actual autocomplete still sucks hairy assholes.

Why the fuck does my phone always want to autocorrect “come” to “Coke?” Why the fuck does it autocorrect actual fucking words at all? I call my husband my “beau” and every fucking time I use the word, it autocorrects to “beautiful.” No, you fuck, beau is a fucking word and you would think after the 100th time of me correcting it, it would stop trying to correct me.

• 5Like
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Rustled
Reactions: 8 users

joz123

Potato del Grande
Why the fuck does my phone always want to autocorrect “come” to “Coke?” Why the fuck does it autocorrect actual fucking words at all? I call my husband my “beau” and every fucking time I use the word, it autocorrects to “beautiful.” No, you fuck, beau is a fucking word and you would think after the 100th time of me correcting it, it would stop trying to correct me.
Your phone is straight.

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Wantonsoup95

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My mother in law spelled a basic name differently for God only knows why and my phone will not learn to accept this no matter what.

I feel this rustle.

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Eh, fuck names spelled "creatively". Thats actually a good use of auto correct. I wish the whole world would get on board.

Like from the DMV to online registration forms, when you enter in in some creatively spelled bullshit it just goes oh you spelled your name wrong, let me fix that for you.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Vuuxo

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Finding out this morning the wife has ovarian cancer.
1000000185.gif

• 14Solidarity
  • 8Thoughts & Prayers
  • 2Rustled
Reactions: 23 users

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of Cancer.. My testicle injury turned out to be benign. A Hydrocele due to said injury.
Don't roll ones when wearing pants gents!
I feel like the Gif thread needs one from my ultrasound pics and man it's super difficult to make small talk with a pretty lady while she's lubing up your balls and scanning them.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Zaara

I'm With HER ♀
That reminds me of the guy that came into the shop with his phone enabled to do the 1000WPM text-to-speech readout. As far as I can tell it was set to dictate either a wiki or a comment scroll.
You're just sitting there going '..what the fuck is that noise?' and look over and there is some potato man hunched over his phone while it makes this impenetrable buzzing sound. No my guy, you are not absorbing information at a 5x rate of normal human beings....

• 2Worf

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
"I saw an article on ADHD which I'm sure of I have..."

The trend of broken people self diagnosing conditions and diseases and trying to collect them all like they're Pokemons is bizarre.

I worked with a cute, smart married hero girl that was very shy and had typical anxiety issues. Then only two years later I see her at a new job and "they" was nonbinary, butch hair cut dyed various colors going a pronouns and trans rights retardation. Still had nice little titties, but no bra, so I guess I'm gay now checking out her nonbinary tits jiggling all day.

But anyway, still very nice and otherwise smart... But the weirdest thing was an obsessive fascination with her self-disgnosed autism and anger that she couldn't find a therapist willing to provide an official diagnosis.

So it was nonstop about how self diagnosed autism is real and was just one more way western society victimized marginalized people by refusing to recognize their self diagnoses.

Some kind of Munchausen by projection or some shit. And obviously a mental illness, so why not just let that be their plight? So fucked up you're trying to convince others you're fucked up but in ways other than are obviously the way you're fucked up.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
That reminds me of the guy that came into the shop with his phone enabled to do the 1000WPM text-to-speech readout. As far as I can tell it was set to dictate either a wiki or a comment scroll.
You're just sitting there going '..what the fuck is that noise?' and look over and there is some potato man hunched over his phone while it makes this impenetrable buzzing sound. No my guy, you are not absorbing information at a 5x rate of normal human beings....

Many years ago when I was still listening to Ben Shapiro I tried to listen on even just 1.3 speed. Thought my brain was going to melt.

I've seen people who listen to audio books on 1.5 speed, which offense me greatly. I just figure some shit ain't worth listening to if my instinct is to speed it up to get through it faster. See also: eating and sexing.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So it was nonstop about how self diagnosed autism is real and was just one more way western society victimized marginalized people by refusing to recognize their self diagnoses.

Some kind of Munchausen by projection or some shit. And obviously a mental illness, so why not just let that be their plight? So fucked up you're trying to convince others you're fucked up but in ways other than are obviously the way you're fucked up.
This is the society you get when you mix social media's brain destroying endless quest for attention with trying to make everyone special when they arent a normal functioning white person.

The autistic thing is no joke though. Its sky rocketing rate since the 90s is 100% due to more and more humans utterly failing learning how to socialize as children thanks to computers/internet. Social media has only dumped gasoline on the fire.
Many years ago when I was still listening to Ben Shapiro I tried to listen on even just 1.3 speed. Thought my brain was going to melt.
bruh that guy already talks at 2x speed.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity

Goatface

I've seen people who listen to audio books on 1.5 speed, which offense me greatly. I just figure some shit ain't worth listening to if my instinct is to speed it up to get through it faster. See also: eating and sexing.

i normally listen to them at 1.75 to 2.0 , maybe a tad faster if they are slow talkers. the only issue, it take me a few seconds to adjust, so stop/starting is a pain as have to back up about 15 seconds each time. it is also very dependent on the genres fantasy or scifi fantasy speed is ok, hard scifi might not make it to 1.5, something i am trying to learn, 1.
iirc, audio books target about 150 wpm and most people read between 250 and 400 wpm.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
The autistic thing is no joke though. Its sky rocketing rate since the 90s is 100% due to more and more humans utterly failing learning how to socialize as children thanks to computers/internet. Social media has only dumped gasoline on the fire.

Yeah. Interesting data finding that a lot of "autism" is actually cured by taking away screen time. Which makes sense. Force people to actual interact as humans and they're better able to interact like humans. Probably the only reason I can even pretend to be normal is I was never allowed to nope out of social interactions just because was a spazz.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
i normally listen to them at 1.75 to 2.0 , maybe a tad faster if they are slow talkers. the only issue, it take me a few seconds to adjust, so stop/starting is a pain as have to back up about 15 seconds each time. it is also very dependent on the genres fantasy or scifi fantasy speed is ok, hard scifi might not make it to 1.5, something i am trying to learn, 1.
iirc, audio books target about 150 wpm and most people read between 250 and 400 wpm.

Yeah. Lots of dependsing involved. I could process some books/pods at faster speeds, whereas I'm listening to Sowell's Vision of the Anointed and it's getting dangerous while driving because I keep stopping it to think or rewind to re-hear stuff.

Different things can definitely be processed at different speeds, but I'd still argue a few points on the drawbacks and personally I decided if it's something I'd speed up I just don't listen to it unless (unless it's just straight info). Similarly if it's something I find myself skimming I just don't bother.

I've talked with "avid readers" who will churn through Dan Brown novels skimming for basic plot points then get mad when I say they aren't reading so much as vaguely ingesting information and their completion counts aren't valid just to trigger them.

Just like people bragging at their book completion counts and they mostly read very short and shallow YA books.

But that's just a lot of my occupational snobbery since I work in a library system with a bunch of braggy women.

Generalizing wpm isn't a very good whole picture, though. Physically reading one can (and should) change speed based on the moment or content. Good writers write with that in mind and are able to control pace. That can't really happen with an audio book set in 1.5 or 2. It just becomes information, not experience, which sure is fine for a lot content.

A good voice narrator, like James Marsters doing the Dresden books, will change pace as appropriate, of course. A lot of audio narrators suck, of course, and a lot of podcasts can be double speeded, just like a lot of books are skimmable, and I decided to just not waste my time with any of them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can get used to it gradually though. Just tick it up .1 at a time until it gets hard to follow, then back off a bit. After a few minutes, try again. I tend to listen to anything informational as fast as possible. I'm not here to enjoy myself, just to find something out, so I'll start at 2x and adjust as needed. How much you can speed it up varies hugely based on the speaker and content though. If the content is more dense, then it needs to slow down a bit, and some youtubers talk super slow to draw things out (not even considering the filler content), so it's painful to try to listen at normal speed. And the way some people speak just doesn't work as well when sped up as others, something about their annunciation just doesn't mesh with the compression, so you basically start losing syllables or something.

Having said that, I never speed up anything I'm listening to for enjoyment though. That seems really weird to me.

• 2Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I listen to everything on YouTube at 2x. That's only because it doesn't go higher.

• 2Hodjing
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users