Wheel of Time series

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
That's true in general, but he's been on record saying he had a hard time writing Mat specifically.
I mean just imagine how hard it is to pick up a series of characters that someone else spent decades creating and then be expected to finish the series and without changing the characters.

I know it’s not perfect but he was given an impossible task and overall did an excellent job

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Sterling

El Presidente
I mean just imagine how hard it is to pick up a series of characters that someone else spent decades creating and then be expected to finish the series and without changing the characters.

I know it’s not perfect but he was given an impossible task and overall did an excellent job
I agree. He did a good job overall and the series ended about as satisfactorily as you're likely to get under the circumstances.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I just finished the final book last night. I see and understand some peoples complaints about Sanderson, but overall I think he did a really good job wrapping up WoT, some small nitpicks here and there, but nothing worth typing out. That being said, having slogged through every book back to back, Sanderson's writing was a welcome breath of fresh air. I consumed the last three books in half the time it took me to read the 4 before them. It's a bittersweet feeling having finally finished them.

• 4Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I just finished the final book last night. I see and understand some peoples complaints about Sanderson, but overall I think he did a really good job wrapping up WoT, some small nitpicks here and there, but nothing worth typing out. That being said, having slogged through every book back to back, Sanderson's writing was a welcome breath of fresh air. I consumed the last three books in half the time it took me to read the 4 before them. It's a bittersweet feeling having finally finished them.

Considering what Sanderson had to work against {wife}...the sheer scope of wrapping a series up from a great writer. I think he did an admirable job.

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 7 users

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Started this EYe of the World on Friday.

Where have i been for the last 30 years? besides posting on a site named after one of the books LOL)

This shit is amazing.

I have finished the final book!

what a ride ! I thought Sanderson did a great job finishing the series considering the constants he was under. I really liked Mat but would have liked one more small chapter of closure. Was disappointed with Tom in the back half of the series as I wanted him to have a larger more interesting roll. The last battle was great, good pace lots of action. Looking forward to reading some fan theories now!

• 4Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I have finished the final book!

what a ride ! I thought Sanderson did a great job finishing the series considering the constants he was under. I really liked Mat but would have liked one more small chapter of closure. Was disappointed with Tom in the back half of the series as I wanted him to have a larger more interesting roll. The last battle was great, good pace lots of action. Looking forward to reading some fan theories now!

I was disappointed with Thom as well but don’t really remember why, I felt like he just kind of faded away once Sanderson took over. I didn’t like Mat much with Sanderson but he did a good enough job with the rest it didn’t ruin it or anything, I really just wanted closure on the whole thing. My biggest disappointments with the ending was how fucking pointless and pathetic padan fain ended up being after having so many story arcs surrounding him, and that 90% of the women didn’t die horrible gruesomely described deaths in the last battle.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just finished a read of the series after only reading the first 3 books like 25 years ago...

Are there any old interviews of Robert Jordan from conventions or anything?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Check out dragonmount. You can find some there. You won't really find anything out. Dude was bitter people figured out who was the black and red dude was and he changed the entire plotline afterward. Other than that you will find out his wife pretty much ruled his every thought and decision.

• 3Like
  • 1Worf

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Just finished a read of the series after only reading the first 3 books like 25 years ago...

At first I thought you said it took you 25 years to get through the series. And it still made sense.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
At first I thought you said it took you 25 years to get through the series. And it still made sense.
haha.
Sort of but not quite... I picked up the series again towards the end of 2019... took me ~18 months to get through them all. I could never get past Shadow Rising back in the 90s.

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Check out dragonmount. You can find some there. You won't really find anything out. Dude was bitter people figured out who was the black and red dude was and he changed the entire plotline afterward. Other than that you will find out his wife pretty much ruled his every thought and decision.
In other circumstances, I'd be inclined to think this hyperbole, but . . . that would actually explain a lot of things.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
In other circumstances, I'd be inclined to think this hyperbole, but . . . that would actually explain a lot of things.
Yeah the whole Taim thing lol. Also, his divorce was why the gap between books 6 and 7 was very Martinesque.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

Don’t watch any interviews with him, it will just lower your opinion of him. There was one I saw where he was telling everyone how to pronounce all his locations and character names and stuff and he came off like such a mega nerd douche in that I never bothered reading about him as a person much after that. His wife ruled his life and writings, it was pretty sad/pathetic.

• 2Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Don’t watch any interviews with him, it will just lower your opinion of him. There was one I saw where he was telling everyone how to pronounce all his locations and character names and stuff and he came off like such a mega nerd douche in that I never bothered reading about him as a person much after that. His wife ruled his life and writings, it was pretty sad/pathetic.

I swear that is the reason why he wrote all women as nagging bitches; because that is what his wife was to him.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I swear that is the reason why he wrote all women as nagging bitches; because that is what his wife was to him.
Well I think so too but not in the way you are thinking. He wrote them that way as a “Aww women being adorable by nagging” way because the men just meekly accepted it the entire time. It’s like it was this cute nagging/men respond to nagging bullshit. These guys in the series were hardened killers for the most part yet these nagging women who had nothing to offer other than bitching 24/7 led them around by their nose. A true fantasy setting these guys would just backhand them and tell them to stfu. And then you had the Aeil wise women who ran everything and the hardest men on the planet just took it. If it were all queens and ladies doing this kind of stuff then it would have been more believable but this was nearly every woman/man relationship from farmhands to kings.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Well I think so too but not in the way you are thinking. He wrote them that way as a “Aww women being adorable by nagging” way because the men just meekly accepted it the entire time. It’s like it was this cute nagging/men respond to nagging bullshit. These guys in the series were hardened killers for the most part yet these nagging women who had nothing to offer other than bitching 24/7 led them around by their nose. A true fantasy setting these guys would just backhand them and tell them to stfu. And then you had the Aeil wise women who ran everything and the hardest men on the planet just took it. If it were all queens and ladies doing this kind of stuff then it would have been more believable but this was nearly every woman/man relationship from farmhands to kings.

In universe it was probably due to the influence of (sane) chanellers all being female.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
In universe it was probably due to the influence of (sane) chanellers all being female.
I suppose but there were generations upon generations of bumpkins that had never seen an Aes Sedai, it was all legends to them. Thinking the men felt shame for something that happened thousands of years ago?

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I suppose but there were generations upon generations of bumpkins that had never seen an Aes Sedai, it was all legends to them. Thinking the men felt shame for something that happened thousands of years ago?
Have you not been watching current events?

• 3Like
  • 1Worf