Wheel of Time series

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
No way do we ever get 10 seasons of this. No way do actors agree to lock in salary for 10 years. No way in fucking hell will they get points on the back end. That shit is lunacy.

Arative

Vyemm Raider
If they go the expanse route and do a book every half season or so, we could get 6 seasons or so. There is lots of filler that can be cut.

Mythas 5thboardnow

Silver Knight of the Realm
I mean I don't think there is anyway you could condense every book down to half a season, here is a basic recap from eye of the world.

The book begins in the region of the Two Rivers, which has been virtually cut off from most of the rest of the world for over a thousand years. It is spring festival, Bel Tine. On the way from his father’s isolated farm, Rand notices a strange man watching him. The man, whose cloak doesn't move in the wind, frightens him. He tells Tam, his father and a widower, but the man is gone when Tam looks.

They arrive in the village of Emond's Field, where Rand meets his friends Mat, who is fond of foolish pranks, and Perrin, an apprentice blacksmith. They also reveal having seen the man. They learn of strangers in the village, Moiraine and Lan, something that is almost unheard of. There is also a gleeman, Thom and a peddler, Padan Fain. Moiraine gives each of the three a coin, a token; she claims it is for any work she might ask them to do for her. Fain tells of a false Dragon in Ghealdan, which sets the village worrying, as Ghealdan is not far from Emond’s Field, though it is all but unreachable. The Village Council orders patrols, mostly to calm the nerves of the villagers.

Rand and his father return to their house. When Trollocs attack Rand's farm, his father Tam brings out a sword to fight them. Rand briefly speaks with Trolloc which wants Rand to wait for someone, before Rand kills it. His father takes a wound which quickly incapacitates him. In a delirious moment, Tam reveals he found Rand on a mountain, during the Aiel War. Rand takes him back to Emond’s Field where Moiraine, who has been revealed as an Aes Sedai, Heals him of the wound he took. When the people blame Moiraine for the attack, she tells them of the time in the Trolloc Wars when Manetheren was destroyed and that she is disappointed at what its blood has come to. This shames the villagers who leave her alone.

Moiraine convinces the boys that the Trollocs were after them personally as it was only their houses and farms that were directly attacked, and the man looking at them was a Myrddraal and they must leave the village. They are accompanied by Rand's girlfriend, Egwene, who wishes to become Aes Sedai, and Thom.

Fleeing Emond’s Field, they pass through Taren Ferry, where Moiraine misdirects the following Myrddraal and sinks the boat they crossed the river on. They see a Draghkar above. They head for the town of Baerlon, which amazes them because of its perceived immense size. On the way, Rand channels for the first time, to help Egwene's horse stay ahead of the Trollocs, though he is not aware of it at the time. In Baerlon, Rand meets Min, a young woman who claims to see strange auras around him and his companions.

Rand, Mat and Perrin start having dreams of a man clad in black, calling himself Ba'alzamon who tells them they will serve him. He breaks a rat's back, and in the morning, all the rats in the inn are dead. The village Wisdom, Nynaeve catches up with them. Min tells Rand that this means the trouble they are in is worse. Though Nynaeve wishes to take them home she agrees to go on with them. Mat plays a trick on some Whitecloaks, including Dain Bornhald, getting Rand, who is suffering the ill effects of channeling for the first time, into trouble for laughing. They leave Baerlon at night, Moiraine using a trick of the One Power to scare the Whitecloaks who are intent on stopping them. Behind them, they see the inn they stayed in on fire. They set off on the road to Tar Valon. They are chased by Trollocs, prompting Mat to unknowingly chant the ancient battle cry of Manetheren in the Old Tongue.

To escape, they are forced to seek refuge in the abandoned and tainted city of Shadar Logoth. Despite being warned that even the Trollocs and Myrddraal fear to enter the city, the boys go exploring, where they meet a man called Mordeth, who casts no shadow. When they notice this, he swells up to many times his normal size and tries to get them. They only just escape him, but Mat manages to get a dagger with a large ruby from his treasure. They return, telling Moiraine that Mordeth did not give them anything. Trollocs and Myrddraal enter the city which worries Moiraine and Lan, as normally no Myrddraal would do so, unless under great duress, due to the disappearance of a Trolloc army there in the Trolloc Wars. In order to avoid the Trollocs and the mindless danger of Mashadar, they split up.

Perrin and Egwene end up across a river which runs near the city. Trying to head for Tar Valon, they encounter a strange man, Elyas Machera, who was once a Warder and who is accompanied by wolves. He is able to speak to wolves and claims Perrin can do so as well. The three of them meet up with some Tuatha'an, with whom they spend a few days before heading off. One of them, Aram, takes an instant dislike to Perrin. Aram’s grandmother claims that this is because he has a hard time trying to follow the Way of the Leaf. They are told of an encounter with the Aiel some years previously, in which one claimed that the Dark One wished to turn the Eye of the World to his own purpose.

After leaving the Tuatha'an, the three are chased by a pack of ravens. Before they are caught, they enter a stedding, where creatures of the Dark One are reluctant to enter. Here, they encounter a group of Whitecloaks. Fearing for their lives, Perrin kills two of them before he and Egwene are captured. The Whitecloaks are convinced they are Darkfriends, as Perrin runs with wolves and their leader believes wolves are creatures of the Dark One. Egwene is told that unless she repents, she will be killed. Perrin is told by Geofram Bornhald that as he killed Whitecloaks, he will definitely be killed. Another Whitecloak, Jaret Byar, appears to develop a personal hatred of Perrin. He offers to let them escape, but Perrin realizes he will kill them both if they do.

Nynaeve, Lan and Moiraine also end up together. Moiraine makes Nynaeve accept that she can channel by pointing out that she can sense her presence, and also that Nynaeve can sense the presence of someone who she has Healed with the One Power. She also tells her of apprentice Wisdoms who have died, a common thing amongst those who try to learn to channel on their own. Nynaeve agrees to go to Tar Valon to become Aes Sedai, so that she can get revenge on Moiraine. She and Lan also begin to fall in love. The three of them then catch up with and rescue Perrin and Egwene, who Moiraine can trace because of the coin she gave Perrin.

Mat, Thom and Rand escape from Shadar Logoth onto a boat owned by a man called Bayle Domon. Domon is aware of the Trollocs, but believes they are after him, as he has been followed since Saldaea. He shows them ancient objects, including one of the seals on the Dark One's prison, and an object that some men perceive as warm, possibly a male angreal. Domon takes them to Whitebridge where they leave for Caemlyn. They are caught by a Myrddraal, but Mat and Rand escape when Thom stays behind to fight. On the way to Caemlyn, Mat grows steadily more distrustful of everyone except Rand. Darkfriends assail them on the way, encouraging them to swear to the Dark One. One, a woman in silks, tries to kill them, but they escape. Rand has to talk Mat out of killing her. Rand is forced to unknowingly channel again, to escape from a Darkfriend at an inn they are trapped in. They encounter a third Darkfriend later. In Caemlyn, they head for Basel Gill's inn as it was recommended by Thom. Gill refuses to believe Thom would have been killed. Here Rand meets and befriends Loial, an Ogier, who at first takes Rand for an Aiel, and tells him he must be ta'veren. Whilst trying to get a good view of the false Dragon Logain, who laughs as he sees Rand, Rand falls into the Palace Garden after being distracted by Elayne. She tends his injuries, while Gawyn watches and Galad fetches the palace guard, led by Tallanvor. Elayne believes Rand to be a loyal Queen's man, as he has a ribbon on his sword that indicates this, but in reality, it is only meant to cover the Heron Mark, and was the cheaper colour. He is taken before Morgase, Bryne and Elaida, who has a Foretelling and announces that Rand stands at the center of all the suffering and destruction to come. Bryne states that the sword belongs with him. Morgase releases him though, as she has heard the accent of the region before, and though Rand does not look like those from the area, he must have grown up there. On the way out, Gawyn reveals that Rand looks like an Aiel.

The others arrive at the inn, and Moiraine temporarily Heals Mat, who had been behaving strangely because the dagger he was carrying had infected him with some of the taint from Shadar Logoth. She says if she hadn't done so, the taint would have spread throughout the world. Moiraine learns of the plot by the Dark One to use the Eye of the World in the Blight, and they head there via the ways, which Loial knows how to navigate. They only just avoid Machin Shin. They are followed through by Padan Fain, but he stays out of view.

Once out of the ways, they stop in the town of Fal Dara in Shienar, where Padan Fain is captured and revealed to be a Darkfriend, responsible for bringing the Trollocs at Bel Tine. He had been hunting the Dragon Reborn for years. Moiraine reveals that Machin Shin caught up with him but for some reason did not consume him.

They then head off into the Blight. They are attacked by creatures which they fight off, before being pursued by a type of Shadowspawn referred to as Worms, but escape these when they meet the Green Man at the Eye of the World, which is a pool of pure saidin. Whilst there, two of the Forsaken, Aginor and Balthamel, appear. They are very much decayed, as they were close to the top when sealed. They quickly deal with everyone, except the Green Man, who kills Balthamel, though he is killed himself. Rand flees and is pursued by Aginor, who is killed.

Rand finds himself in a strange room with Ba'alzamon, who tells him that he has his mother. Discovering he can channel, Rand cuts a black cord coming out of Ba'alzamon's back, before returning to the real world. There, he discovers the Eye of the World to be empty of saidin. Several objects are found in it. These are the Horn of Valere, a banner with a Dragon on it and one of the Seals on the Dark One's prison, broken. Loial sings at the place the Green Man fell, growing a strong tree, which he hopes will not fall to the Blight. They then return to Fal Dara, through an unusually quiet Blight.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Arative

Vyemm Raider
Well you probably couldn't condense the first 3-4 books. Lot of shit to condense in the middle set of books.

wamphyr

Molten Core Raider
What if they cut the first book(s) entirely ? And present the relevant stories as flashbacks ?
The first book was a clishee ”comming of age, farm boy becomes hero” bullshit anyway.
Start with the second half of ”The Great Hunt” to include the Seanchan and buid up from there until the end of The Dragon Reborn for the first season.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
First season will be Eye of the World, then the show will be canceled.

• 2Solidarity

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
A few things i think they have to do to pull this off.

Get with Sanderson, and spend a lot of time looking for areas to trim off tons of fat. Jordan was notorious for adding character tics and what everyone was wearing, seeing as this will be covered in the visual format, no time is lost here.

Cut a Majority of Perrin. Ignore Faile. Perrins story needs to be Defense of Two Rivers, Wolf Powers, White Cloaks, then Final Battle. Make his character progression a bit cheesy, wanting to be strong enough on his own, but learn how to be a part of a pack. Two parallels Blacksmith to Leader of men in battle. Lone wolf to Leader of the pack etc.
Cut out Masema, entirely. Cut out the small scale battles and the weevils.
Axe Aviendah's spirit quests. Make her a simple but important link to Rand and the Aiel.
Cut the political intrigue with Elayne.
Find a way to speed up all of the Tower bullshit with Egwene.
Clean up Matt's Seanchan alliance.
Cut Min. Make her predicitons come from Eladia or something and have that be her catalyst to turn etc.
Should be right around 10 Seasons at 12 1hr. Eps each. Plenty of all aspects that makes the books good.

After cuts are made and you have a definitive season / episode count, write up ironclad casting contracts. If done will yes these people will be come famous a la GoT, but you can't let the salaries blossom into the millions per season over however many actors. Instead offer them incentives on the back end. Also leverage their age most of the characters are late teens into the fact that the work after this will be worth a lot more etc.
Of all the female characters in this book you would cut Min?

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Rod-138

Trakanon Raider
I hope this series allows Lan to beat powered up staff Matt’s ass and puts to rest all of these silly nerds. All hail Al’Lan

Also. Lanfear needs to be on HBO, YUM

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
No possible way they adapt this without completely fucking it up. I see it going the way of Sword of Truth.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I hope this series allows Lan to beat powered up staff Matt’s ass and puts to rest all of these silly nerds. All hail Al’Lan

Also. Lanfear needs to be on HBO, YUM
Lanfear? No no, Graendal needs to be on HBO.

The only way this could ever be good is to have it be an animated show. There are plenty of studios that could make a show wasn't Disney or Anime.

• 2Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I guess they were waiting for GoT to end. Production has been green lit and supposedly starts in September. Maybe airs 2020?

Have to admit, while I loved the GoT books, I liked WoT equally as much. Perhaps even more except all the time on unnecessary details. But that could be done in a few seconds visually on a TV. So that cuts like two full books combined? Book 8 was basically the manual for a full Project Runway season.

They'd have to go all in with money though. Probably need an even larger budget in the later seasons when powers start developing and it goes full wizard combat mode. Bad CGI is horribly immersion breaking, and there are far more "flashy" fights in WoT than in GoT. If this series gets the budget of GoT (which Amazon can easily deliver), it could be good. HBO has made a lot of money of GoT and set the stage for an audience of fantasy that weren't there before. This is, to my knowledge, the only other big (mainstream) series similar to GoT. I think Amazon sees the potential to fill the GoT void.

Story also fits in with the progressives of today as they would fawn over the concepts of all men with power are bad and insane and needs to be controlled by women. Looking at the directors twitter and it kind of ... well... lots of politically correct tweets and retweets. So I guess Amazon also sees the capitalization on that.

• 1Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Two very different styles, with GoT being far more adult oriented and easily filmed, and WoT being aimed at teens and much harder to film correctly due to the "magic" of the series being much more visual (consider all the fights Rand had with a Forsaken). The series would have to be extremely narrow in scope, and probably only go up to book 3.

• 2Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Liked WoT over GoT. Characters were much more enjoyable. I actually liked the crazy amount of detail Jordan included. Gave a much better feel for the world IMO. Plus there were sooo many memorable scenes. From Dumai's Well to Moirain's "death". Shit was so damn good.

That being said...Ya this is probably going to be some Hercules/Zena shit. I'm praying it's HBO/GoT level shit, but I doubt it. I would be happy with Spartacus lvl production, just to get to see this in real life.

• 1Solidarity

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Liked WoT over GoT. Characters were much more enjoyable. I actually liked the crazy amount of detail Jordan included. Gave a much better feel for the world IMO. Plus there were sooo many memorable scenes. From Dumai's Well to Moirain's "death". Shit was so damn good.

That being said...Ya this is probably going to be some Hercules/Zena shit. I'm praying it's HBO/GoT level shit, but I doubt it. I would be happy with Spartacus lvl production, just to get to see this in real life.
I’m guessing it’s going to be on the same tier as the Dresden tv series or the sword of truth one

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I always thought WOT would be cool as a CGI series like the Star Wars one but less childish. So many characters and visuals that I think will hard to pull off with live action.

• 1Solidarity

Arative

Vyemm Raider
I hope it's good and not the shit the sword of truth was. Will be gold if they show some pillow friend scenes.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Two very different styles, with GoT being far more adult oriented and easily filmed, and WoT being aimed at teens and much harder to film correctly due to the "magic" of the series being much more visual (consider all the fights Rand had with a Forsaken). The series would have to be extremely narrow in scope, and probably only go up to book 3.

Agree with this. It's crazy how many times I have heard people mention "I liked GoT in part because it wasn't too fantasy heavy, or there wasn't a ton of magic".

That being said, GoT definitely helped open the genre up. People should be less hesitant to dive into a show with dragons and magic.

Del

Vyemm Raider
Fuck Elayne, marry Min maybe?, kill the rest. WoT women were awful.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users