Wheel of Time

velk

Trakanon Raider
Wait, aren't the Aiel, in spite of being desert people, supposed to all be gingers? I thought that was a thing.

Yes, the Aiel are the whitest of the whities in WoT, which is what makes Rand stand out in two rivers, who all have darker eyes, hair and skin.

I think most of the legitimate confusion is from Darryl Sweet's cover art.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
I think it has been said before here but the biggest issue is that two rivers is a very insular community, think Amish very few outsiders and so everyone looks pretty much the same, if they were gonna make some of them jog they should have made them all jog.

Jovec

?
No bow/staff/ashandarei/ruby-hilted dagger (Matt), no axe (Perrin)... Rand's sword can be seen though. At no point can I recall all of these characters together without those weapons (if this was just a promo shot, I would think they would have them). Morraine is too tall; Lan, Egwene and Rand are all too short. Perrin was built wider. Emond's Fielders/Andorman were more anglo-saxan and Lan was more nordic (he looks more Shienaren in this shot). Nynaeve was built more slender.

Jordan used physical appearances as both a plot mechanic (Rand looking Aiel to everyone who know them) and to separate the various nations. The former is somewhat important but the latter can be overlooked (and even expected today) assuming they don't go full woke.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
No bow/staff/ashandarei/ruby-hilted dagger (Matt), no axe (Perrin)... Rand's sword can be seen though. At no point can I recall all of these characters together without those weapons (if this was just a promo shot, I would think they would have them). Morraine is too tall; Lan, Egwene and Rand are all too short. Perrin was built wider. Emond's Fielders/Andorman were more anglo-saxan and Lan was more nordic (he looks more Shienaren in this shot). Nynaeve was built more slender.

Jordan used physical appearances as both a plot mechanic (Rand looking Aiel to everyone who know them) and to separate the various nations. The former is somewhat important but the latter can be overlooked (and even expected today) assuming they don't go full woke.
When you read the first paragraph this comes across as AKSHUALLY and Knees to Sharp.

But then you read the second and you go - fuck, that is totally right. Jordan spent pages describing the tiniest things, so details are actually pretty important here.

By the by, I never did get through three books in this series - I enjoyed the world building and the eye to detail, but the way Jordan wrote interpersonal relationships was retarded. OMG girls, you know, I can't talk to them, they are so pretty and scary. OMAGAWD boys are so stupid and smelly. I think I probably have a post in here already saying that, so apologies. Anyway, the reason I brought it up is because that kind of interpersonal relationship writing fits into today's TV and Movies - I bet they get that shit dead on.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Most stils/pics of any show looks like trash, I remember the witcher looking TERRIBLE and it was decent enough.

• 1Seriously?

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Personally I don't care about the casting as long as they can act. I hope they follow the book and not do like the other series where they go off the deep end and just make shit up.

Will probably suck but if not that's great. I got no hype at all so can only be gladly surprised.

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
Not to mention Moraine's actress is way too tall relative to the other characters. I know relative height doesn't really matter for a lot of stuff, but they point out her small size many, many times in the books.
Lan doesn't look right either. In the book it's clear that he's very rugged looking and has been through some shit. Closer to Sandor than Jaime, so to speak.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
Most stils/pics of any show looks like trash, I remember the witcher looking TERRIBLE and it was decent enough.

The penis armor stills were pretty lol'worthy true, although Cavill legitimately looked great even from the earliest shots IIRC.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

lol

think its egwene, matt, lan, elaine, nynaeve, perrin, and rand

I'm a huge WoT fan. Love Robert Jordan's writing (over done descriptions, braid tugging and all).

This may be the worst casting in the history of fuckin casting. There is ZERO need not to go with the books if you want diversity! Wokeness, whatever! It's all already there.

What sort of fuckin retarded Puerto Rican Hodor did they make Perrin? He's not a fuckin giant! He's a damn blacksmith! Moraine looks like about a FOOT too tall and 30 years too old! Matt looks like a beat down Jew. Lan looks nothing like the book describes. BUT I assume he's cast for his swordsmanship or some shit. Nynaeve I don't recall being fuckin from the Dominican Republic.

Fuckin Christ...EVERYTHING DOESN'T NEED TO PLACATE EVERY FUCKIN BODY!!!

Jesus fuckin Christ!

FUUUUUUUUUCKKK!

Last edited:
  • 6Like
  • 6Worf
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 14 users

Mudcrush Durtfeet

Hungry Ogre
I'm a huge WoT fan. Love Robert Jordan's writing (over done descriptions, braid tugging and all).

This may be the worst casting in the history of fuckin casting. There is ZERO need not to go with the books if you want diversity! Wokeness, whatever! It's all already there.

What sort of fuckin retarded Puerto Rican Hodor did they make Perrin? He's not a fuckin giant! He's a damn blacksmith! Moraine looks like about a FOOT too tall and 30 years too old! Matt looks like a beat down Jew. Lan looks nothing like the book describes. BUT I assume he's cast for his swordsmanship or some shit. Nynaeve I don't recall being fuckin from the Dominican Republic.

Fuckin Christ...EVERYTHING DOESN'T NEED TO PLACATE EVERY FUCKIN BODY!!!

Jesus fuckin Christ!

FUUUUUUUUUCKKK!
You're at about 11, I need you to at least stay to a 10 point scale, m'kay?

• 4Garbage
  • 2Worf
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 6 users

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Honestly the biggest surprise is that they didn't turn rand into a black woman like they jave done with every other ginger in the last 5 years

• 1Worf

spronk

FPS noob
rand is transgender in the TV show, he used the one power at an early age to reshape his dick into a vagina

they are bringing logain into the show early, this is another shot from the article of aes sedai guarding logain. i don't think he was introduced until way, way, way later in the books.

I do wonder if the show will start with the prologue, 3000 years in the past or whatever at the end of the war. Hilariously like 7 years ago the rights owner tried to shoot a quickie 30 minute TV pilot to keep the rights, and even had Billy Zane. Look it up on youtube, its awful.

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
This casting is a master class in how to fuck up a series. Wow this is bad.

• 1Solidarity

Sterling

El Presidente
rand is transgender in the TV show, he used the one power at an early age to reshape his dick into a vagina

they are bringing logain into the show early, this is another shot from the article of aes sedai guarding logain. i don't think he was introduced until way, way, way later in the books.

I do wonder if the show will start with the prologue, 3000 years in the past or whatever at the end of the war. Hilariously like 7 years ago the rights owner tried to shoot a quickie 30 minute TV pilot to keep the rights, and even had Billy Zane. Look it up on youtube, its awful.

He was introduced in book 1. when Rand and Mat were in Caemlyn

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I was thinking about how they are going to bring the One Power across on the big screen and I think it might be make or break for this show in terms of how good or bad the FX are going to be. Early Trollocs are going to show if they just take some dudes and glue hair on them or if they are will to do full fledge bird/goat/wolf faces with talons and claws too boot; however, someone mentioned earlier that Jordan describes everything in infinite detail and the One Power is something he spends a ton of time on that seems impossible to convey on screen.

Think of when a person uses it; there is no glow around them or outward sign that they are channeling. Men cannot even sense women channeling and vice versa. There is the concept of tying off a spell so that you can leave it in running and they could just explain this on the show but the best scene in the books at Dumai's Well is only possible because the hard edges of shared female power become soft and 'rounded' so that Rand can squeeze a trickle of power through the gap. The Forsaken get bailed out when using the True Power since you can just show the black flecks in their eyes. Women feel the power like a flower bud opening but men have to fight with their half AND push through the equivalent of an oil slick to access it. Both sexes can sense the power level users close to them of the same gender but, again, there is no outwardly visible sign.

GoT was actually perfect since it is pretty light on the magic and what is in the world is pretty basic; this show is already starting off from a bad place and the concepts they are going to have to create out of whole cloth make it seem like it would make the show flop even if the casting and story were perfect.

• 1Like
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
I was thinking about how they are going to bring the One Power across on the big screen and I think it might be make or break for this show in terms of how good or bad the FX are going to be. Early Trollocs are going to show if they just take some dudes and glue hair on them or if they are will to do full fledge bird/goat/wolf faces with talons and claws too boot; however, someone mentioned earlier that Jordan describes everything in infinite detail and the One Power is something he spends a ton of time on that seems impossible to convey on screen.

Think of when a person uses it; there is no glow around them or outward sign that they are channeling. Men cannot even sense women channeling and vice versa. There is the concept of tying off a spell so that you can leave it in running and they could just explain this on the show but the best scene in the books at Dumai's Well is only possible because the hard edges of shared female power become soft and 'rounded' so that Rand can squeeze a trickle of power through the gap. The Forsaken get bailed out when using the True Power since you can just show the black flecks in their eyes. Women feel the power like a flower bud opening but men have to fight with their half AND push through the equivalent of an oil slick to access it. Both sexes can sense the power level users close to them of the same gender but, again, there is no outwardly visible sign.

GoT was actually perfect since it is pretty light on the magic and what is in the world is pretty basic; this show is already starting off from a bad place and the concepts they are going to have to create out of whole cloth make it seem like it would make the show flop even if the casting and story were perfect.
This is mostly right, but male channels can feel when female channelers are holding the one power.

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
This is mostly right, but male channels can feel when female channelers are holding the one power.

I forgot about that. These all seem like simple things but they all play very important roles in the series.