Wheel of Time

Jovec

?
they are bringing logain into the show early, this is another shot from the article of aes sedai guarding logain. i don't think he was introduced until way, way, way later in the books.

Logain was in the first book. Rand climbed the palace wall to look at him as the Aes Sedai paraded him through Caemlyn and fell, where he meets Elayne, Gawyn, Morgase, Gareth, and Elida. He appears in book 2 gentled in Tar Valon, but it's not until a few books later that he becomes more prominent.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
I mean they look like they could be Aiel, but not Two Rivers people...

This is my problem with the casting choices. Its just bad. Wheel of Time has LOTS of cultures and primary characters/antogonists of different racial backgrounds and ethnicity. There really is enough to go around for everyone. By taking the approach they are Its really just bad.

Aiel, Shienar, Cairhien, Illian...list goes on

• 3Like

spronk

FPS noob
there is a instagram or twitter leak of some test trolloc footage but i avoided looking at it, at this point i'm gonna watch episode 1 and that kinda stuff is fun to see in full visual fidelity as it was meant to be shown, whether its a train wreck or not

episode 1 is gonna drop nov 2021, they haven't given an exact date yet though

Raes

Vyemm Raider
The Forsaken get bailed out when using the True Power since you can just show the black flecks in their eyes.

The Forsaken don't use the True Power. (or at least, extremely rarely) Only the one dude. And the saa in the eyes is a side effect of prolonged use, not an indication of currently channeling it.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I was thinking about how they are going to bring the One Power across on the big screen and I think it might be make or break for this show in terms of how good or bad the FX are going to be
This was the one thing that always stuck with me when reading the books, and the thought of ever bringing it to screen. I just don't see how they are going to be able to properly convey the One Power on screen. Doesn't seem possible.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raes

Vyemm Raider
They are going to have to use some kind of cgi visual representation. There's just no other way to convey weaves and holding the power and such. Isn't there like a scene where Rand and Taim are having a silent pissing contest of who can hold the most Power? A lot of things like that, that need more than the actor looking constipated.

Edit: Also, I've always assumed that one of the main issues that kept the ip from being made into something for so long was this particular thing. The One Power, and being able to show it on screen without it looking cheesy.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
A lot of things like that, that need more than the actor looking constipated.

The One Power, and being able to show it on screen without it looking cheesy.

I've got some bad news for you, bro. I cannot think of a single instance on television where they have displayed conceptually difficult magic in a way that was not just over the top cheesy.

I can only think that it will be some slow motion "other world" type perspective from who ever they need to be the focus of the shot. They could make Saidar golden wispy strands that are brighter and thicker the more powerful the woman is and Saidin more like red violent lightning that is darker and angrier to show who is more powerful.

That would allow them to do Dumai's Well from Rands perspective and show how he can find gaps in the tied off weaves. Also, seeing red lightning crush the golden glow off the Red Ajah would be pretty epic.

But none of this will come to pass and it will look cheesy and this will suck.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I honestly almost wish it would have been an animated series instead. I think that could have done it far better justice.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
I've got some bad news for you, bro. I cannot think of a single instance on television where they have displayed conceptually difficult magic in a way that was not just over the top cheesy.

I can only think that it will be some slow motion "other world" type perspective from who ever they need to be the focus of the shot. They could make Saidar golden wispy strands that are brighter and thicker the more powerful the woman is and Saidin more like red violent lightning that is darker and angrier to show who is more powerful.

That would allow them to do Dumai's Well from Rands perspective and show how he can find gaps in the tied off weaves. Also, seeing red lightning crush the golden glow off the Red Ajah would be pretty epic.

But none of this will come to pass and it will look cheesy and this will suck.

I mean, there's a chance it won't look cheesy. But, I was thinking more about it, and thinking of two of my fave scenes, which I'd like to see. "Kneel or you will be knelt" and "Rolling rings of Earth and Fire"... and something occurred to me. How the fuck is a show this woke going to show a white guy forcing some poor, misunderstood women who are just trying to save the world from evil men, to kneel?

I just can't see them doing it. And it's a really pivotal scene.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
I mean, there's a chance it won't look cheesy. But, I was thinking more about it, and thinking of two of my fave scenes, which I'd like to see. "Kneel or you will be knelt" and "Rolling rings of Earth and Fire"... and something occurred to me. How the fuck is a show this woke going to show a white guy forcing some poor, misunderstood women who are just trying to save the world from evil men, to kneel?

Especially after the showrunner is quoted saying 'men try to steal women's power' in the real world and this world. Having slaves (some even willing later on) just seems to be impossible for their ideology.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Currently re-reading this series, on book 12 at the moment.

Always thought that the books would be a fairly easy adaptation to a TV series because of the excessive description of details (starts going crazy with them around book 8 which 1/3rd of the book could be used to create a season for Project Runway with all the dress descriptions). But, the details are so precise that the story boards for the director are already in the books.

Characters in the book are described in detail, not just once, but in every book as Robert apparently wrote like he thought his audience has dementia and forgot how characters looked, what they did and what they were between books. He also detailed the differences between characters when they interacted. In the image of them walking from the TV show, Perrin is half a head taller than Rand, in the books when they meet, Perrin is immediately described as half a head shorter than Rand.

Aes Sedai are described as "ageless", but descriptions in the books make them sound like they are stuck in their twenties as they reach the tower usually in early/late teens and starts getting the ageless look once they start using the power more and more.

Cast so far

wot cast 1.jpg

wot cast 2.jpg

wot cast 3.jpg

What I think will make or break the show will be the "magic". Unlike GoT, every book has basically an end showdown with magic/power. And not just some of it, but major battles where it is the defining part of it. Same with the creatures and their abilities. Taking a golem and making it fit to a crack in a door, or the warder cloaks, mythradaals...
GOT large action scene: "Battle and dragon swoops in shooting fire at some stationary targets, some targets/people burn, ice wraith throws ice spear, dragon falls down" Think that was the most magicy of the battles that required the most CGI?

One example of a WOT battle: "Summon armies of heroes using magic charging in on magic fog to fight armies using magic against eachother while a man fights an apparent flaming wizard in the sky using magic and flaming swords".

They need a full feature Marvel level CGI treatment which would skyrocket the cost of battle episodes beyond the GOT ones. Which I don't think they will do. Which is why I think they will tone down the fights/actions. Which is why I think it will be bad overall.

Done right, it could be a really cool series. I don't think they will do it right.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think if they do the one power like they do magic in Dr Strange, it would work.
They already said they aren't doing FX to make ageless aes sedai as it would cost way too much in CGI budget.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
Aes Sedai are described as "ageless", but descriptions in the books make them sound like they are stuck in their twenties as they reach the tower usually in early/late teens and starts getting the ageless look once they start using the power more and more.

Am I remembering wrong, or didn't the "ageless" look come as a side effect of binding themselves with the Oath Rod?

• 3Like

Sterling

El Presidente
Am I remembering wrong, or didn't the "ageless" look come as a side effect of binding themselves to the Oath Rod?
one power users age much slower, but the binding did have an effect on their appearance yeah.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Oath rod gave them their ageless look, and also drastically shortened their lifespan compared to channelers without the oaths

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Dumai's Well will be pretty hard to pull off in my humble opinion. That should look like WW2 Normandy Beach with magic!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
They're not even getting through book 1. I don't see this shitfest making it to the end of book 6.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Well, they will go into GREAT detail of how the Aes Sedai tortured Rand during that trip, then you'll hear Taim say those words with a close of his face, and then cut away to something else so you never actually see those Womyn kneel.

As for how they will show the OP being used. No idea, but it will depend on the PoV. If someone is seeing the action, they will only show the effects, but if the PoV is from the person doing the thing, we'll probably see "threads" weave together briefly then disappear as the thing happens. When the PoV is a woman seeing another woman channel, there will have to be a glow around the channeler. With men channeling, that will be difficult. Best thing I can think of is using audio to add a sense of pressure.

There is little chance this series will be good at all, the interview linked above pretty much shows that the people making it have little respect for the actual story and just view it through a modern sjw lens. If they truly understood the story, there would be no need to make changes to make the show diverse and inclusive. I believe the Lord of the Rings series has a far better chance at being good than this. A high quality animated series would have been the better choice for WoT.