Wheel of Time

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
I just don't understand why they would change much of anything, which is what makes me so uneasy about this. WOT lends itself to the medium of a TV series (much more so than something like GoT), wokeness included, as is. From an easy comparison standpoint, there is a clear protagonist that follows the hero's journey who is incredibly likeable in Rand (your average viewer would root for him a heck of a lot more than they would for a Jon or Daenerys), side characters that most audiences will enjoy (Matt & Thom) to take the place of Tyrion, bad ass characters that are badass (Lan) to substitute for an Arya, etc. As already stated, the women are in charge of everything because men 'fucked up the world'. Your diversity is already there with the Seanchan -- who quite literally get to chain white people up. You have so many absolutely epic moments to go through from a TV series perspective and the writers just need to get the characters there while providing the context of why these moments matter so much through the build up across the season. Since you're removing the braid tugging (please) suddenly the audience that got lost because of how annoying Jordan was with detail can stay hooked. You can clearly plot out the seasons ahead of time and hire the actors at low cost (no need to renegotiate contracts or deal with increased market value because the actress you picked no longer wants to show her tits) and focus the budget on the bad ass scale of the world. They can market this as GOT only with far likeable characters and an absolutely incredible ending so again, why change anything?

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
The only thing this may have going for it is budget. That’s really what a lot of the shit shows (I forgot about that shitty legend of seeker show) lack is a budget. So you have cheesy acting, bad costumes, weak special effects. I’ll still go into this thinking it will be terrible, if they surprise me...great!

velk

Trakanon Raider
The only hope for this show would be to get to the point where we see Graendel in that transparent gown, and the casting of someone with a fantastic body. Actually, add Lanfear and Aviendha to the list of nudes as well.

There's pretty much no chance of this, Jordan was a real prude and was known for sending angry cease and desist legal notices to erotic fanfic writers.

• 1WTF
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

velk

Trakanon Raider
This legit for real?

There are plenty of side characters they could have used for their diversity. The Aiel you could have easily made diverse since they were a desert people. Give Tuon and the Seanchan a more screen time if you need to.

The Aiel are the whitest of white folk, it's what makes Rand stick out in Emond's field - that's he so much whiter than they are.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Nynaeve is already the most annoying character in fantasy, much less WoT. Making her a "strong, black woman" on top of that is just intolerable. WoT, before it went to shit (after LoC?) was one of my favorite series of all time. Blackwashing half the main cast is total bullshit. People want a diverse cast? Make your own fucking IP.
I dunno, making the most awful female ever written black seems almost redpilled.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
A black guy that doesn't abandon his baby momma and doesn't tell his side ho to stfu? Perrin CANNOT be black.
And he's the biggest cuck in all of literature. So.... he's black now. Honestly, what RJ did to Perrin's character was probably one of the biggest disappointments in that whole series.

• 2Like

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
And he's the biggest cuck in all of literature. So.... he's black now. Honestly, what RJ did to Perrin's character was probably one of the biggest disappointments in that whole series.
I always thought of Perrin as Spanish based upon his description.

I hope this doesn't suck but my hopes are not high.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>
In the hands of good writers and such, WoT could be that series. The books have a lot of cool stuff, if they tone down the garbage and bloat. Multiple seasons for the first book is not a good sign, though.
Never thought I'd see Mudcrush call for less garbage.

My gut tells me this is just going to be absolutely dreadful. Not even with the woke shit that's going to take place, but I'm going to wager they'll deviate so much from the source material it's going to make the first X-Men movie look like Earth-616 cannon.

• 2Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's pretty much no chance of this, Jordan was a real prude and was known for sending angry cease and desist legal notices to erotic fanfic writers.
You've read the books, right? There are plenty of scenes in the series with nudity, now whether this show would show it or not. Probably not.

spronk

FPS noob

episode 1 will drop Nov 2021 on amazon prime. show already has been renewed for season 2

rosamund pike as moraine

the-wheel-of-time-tv-series-poster.jpg

Sterling

El Presidente

episode 1 will drop Nov 2021 on amazon prime. show already has been renewed for season 2

rosamund pike as moraine

the-wheel-of-time-tv-series-poster.jpg
I'm sure I'll watch some non zero number of episodes, but my expectations are absurdly low and I'd be pleasantly surprised if it's better than Seeker or Shannara.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Just looked it up on imdb. Half the cast is diversity hires. Probably not going to bother unless I hear they knocked it out of the park.

• 4Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 5 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Just looked it up on imdb. Half the cast is diversity hires. Probably not going to bother unless I hear they knocked it out of the park.

Imagine what they're doing to LOTR series. It's going to be epic, just the wrong kind of epic..

The Amazon production memo was clear, it explicitly stated there must be diversity hires, no exception. I figure LOTR will be the most disrespected IP of all time.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rime

<Donor>
Imagine what they're doing to LOTR series. It's going to be epic, just the wrong kind of epic..

The Amazon production memo was clear, it explicitly stated there must be diversity hires, no exception. I figure LOTR will be the most disrespected IP of all time.
Given that Lord of the Rings was an attempt to create an epic, English national mythology... yes.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Really depends on how they cast the actual Numenoreans themselves, if they are diversified...then we'll know Amazon doesn't care about the IP. They could make the peoples of Harad / Far Harad and Easterlings as diverse as their quota's demand though, and there should be plenty of them on Numenor isle as slaves / servants.