Wheel of Time

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Oath rod gave them their ageless look, and also drastically shortened their lifespan compared to channelers without the oaths
I think it was mentioned that Cadsuane was the oldest known Aes Sedai, at around 300yrs with Sorilea being a bit older, and I think one of The Kin being older than both. Lews Therin mentions that at the time of the Sealing/Breaking he was well into his 400's, but just reaching his middle years. So I imagine unbound Aes Sedai (very strong ones) could live past 1000yrs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Raes

Vyemm Raider
At that pace all 15 books would take 30 seasons. Haha.

Well, some of the books only cover like 3 days of time, one of the reasons they start to suck after LoC. Plus, as everyone knows, the vast majority of words in the books are used for descriptions of clothing and braid-tugging.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
I think it was mentioned that Cadsuane was the oldest known Aes Sedai, at around 300yrs with Sorilea being a bit older, and I think one of The Kin being older than both. Lews Therin mentions that at the time of the Sealing/Breaking he was well into his 400's, but just reaching his middle years. So I imagine unbound Aes Sedai (very strong ones) could live past 1000yrs.
I think the oldest living Kin that was mentioned in the books was around 600. It was tied to the strength in the one power, so it would make sense that in the age of legends where there were powerhouses everywhere that they could live even longer.

Last edited:

Rais

Trakanon Raider
I was thinking about how they are going to bring the One Power across on the big screen and I think it might be make or break for this show in terms of how good or bad the FX are going to be. Early Trollocs are going to show if they just take some dudes and glue hair on them or if they are will to do full fledge bird/goat/wolf faces with talons and claws too boot; however, someone mentioned earlier that Jordan describes everything in infinite detail and the One Power is something he spends a ton of time on that seems impossible to convey on screen.

Think of when a person uses it; there is no glow around them or outward sign that they are channeling. Men cannot even sense women channeling and vice versa. There is the concept of tying off a spell so that you can leave it in running and they could just explain this on the show but the best scene in the books at Dumai's Well is only possible because the hard edges of shared female power become soft and 'rounded' so that Rand can squeeze a trickle of power through the gap. The Forsaken get bailed out when using the True Power since you can just show the black flecks in their eyes. Women feel the power like a flower bud opening but men have to fight with their half AND push through the equivalent of an oil slick to access it. Both sexes can sense the power level users close to them of the same gender but, again, there is no outwardly visible sign.

GoT was actually perfect since it is pretty light on the magic and what is in the world is pretty basic; this show is already starting off from a bad place and the concepts they are going to have to create out of whole cloth make it seem like it would make the show flop even if the casting and story were perfect.
Not sure if you really remember this, but the biggest thing is that men can sense when women channel. Matter of fact it was a major plot line in the book. The main one is where Rand thought he could sense the ones who came to give him gold to bribe him but they use a fuckifiknowwhikedrunk and kidnap him. There is also towards the end where women find the way to hide their channeling.

Last edited:

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Official teaser trailer dropped

Eh. In terms of looks it looks like a fan project and just not well made. Nothing in the trailer made me hate it though. I'd still give it a try I guess, but oof, this is what money buys you in Hollywood now?

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
looks weirdly expensive and cheap at the same time

the cast looks uniformly completely wrong but thats 2021

• 7Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Sterling

El Presidente
Yeah, that trailer wasn't great. some of the sets seem pretty good, but the effects are real shitty. wonder if they're still working on them and this was rushed for the trailer.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
No mention of rand, the dragon reborn or Ta'veren. Seems like a massive feminist love fest with little to no story so far. Kind of what I expected from RJ's wife. Just got banned from r/wot on reddit for giving an opinion on the video, lol. Such special snowflakes they cant take any criticism.

Last edited:
  • 5Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 5 users

Bloodrocuted

Trakanon Raider
Seems like Game of Thrones was one of the last series to really nail the cast. Now an isolated village in a fantasy world will be incomprehensibly filled with a melting pot of races just to appease social justice advocates. Guess I've entered grumpy old fart territory at 46.

• 12Like
  • 4Solidarity
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 16 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
No mention of rand, the dragon reborn or Ta'veren. Seems like a massive feminist love fest with little to no story so far. Kind of what I expected from RJ's wife. Just got banned from r/wot on reddit for giving an opinion on the video, lol. Such special snowflakes they cant take any criticism.

I mean, you see Rand several times in the trailer, and you see Lews Therin crying just before he unleashes his power to create Dragonmount, I'm not sure what else you expected. Did you want Dr Strange stuff happening all around the lead trio to "show" ta'veren as threads of fate pulling people into them?

Trailer looks decent, I'll give it a chance.

• 3Like
  • 2Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Seems like Game of Thrones was one of the last series to really nail the cast. Now an isolated village in a fantasy world will be incomprehensibly filled with a melting pot of races just to appease social justice advocates. Guess I've entered grumpy old fart territory at 46.

If you want to be technical about it (you don't), this is perhaps one of the only franchises where this could possibly make sense, as it takes place in the far future where society has gone medieval after a massive cataclysm but prior to that it was an advanced society probably full of melting pot cities.

When the shit stopped working and people went back to making wood cabins and tilling fields, it's probable they stuck around and that'd explain the various colors even in small, isolated communities.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
If you want to be technical about it (you don't), this is perhaps one of the only franchises where this could possibly make sense, as it takes place in the far future where society has gone medieval after a massive cataclysm but prior to that it was an advanced society probably full of melting pot cities.

When the shit stopped working and people went back to making wood cabins and tilling fields, it's probable they stuck around and that'd explain the various colors even in small, isolated communities.
If you want to be technical about it, you'd follow the source material.

My biggest issue with the way the actors look is not the diversity. Whatever, It's not crazy enough to offend my sensibilities of how this alien would should be in relevance to its writing. My problem is just how ugly most of the actors are. None of them are people I want to look at.

• 5Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 7 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
My problem is just how ugly most of the actors are. None of them are people I want to look at.

As I recall, none of the main cast is described as strikingly beautiful in the books either, the only women I recall Jordan really describing as beautiful are Elayne, Lanfear, Graendal, and that green ajah chick who has several warders and bangs them all.

• 1Picard

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As I recall, none of the main cast is described as strikingly beautiful in the books either, the only women I recall Jordan really describing as beautiful are Elayne, Lanfear, Graendal, and that green ajah chick who has several warders and bangs them all.
The Two Rivers area, and the adjacent villages were isolated for a very, very long time since Manetheran was destroyed. I think that happened around 900 or so years prior to when the books start. The population was uniform in looks, not light skinned like Aiel or even main Andorans, but not dark skinned enough so that they couldn't get farmer tans (sun darkened skin). The casting shits all over that for diversity. The only character that would fit with Jordan's own descriptions would be Rand, Mat, Moirane and maybe Egwene. Perrin, Lan, and Nynaeve are all totally wrong. Its simply bad.

There was an interview posted in there of the show runner, and to me, that guy is misunderstanding the world Jordan made, whether through ignorance or through only going on what Jordan's wife wants to be shown. If the show ever really planned on lasting long enough to do justice the actual story, there would no need for the main cast to be as diverse as they are because the world itself is very diverse and Jordan goes out of his way to describe the people and their cultures.

Mat and Rand were considered very handsome, and Mat had no trouble at all with getting who he wanted. Egwene and Moiraine (especially after being stilled / healed) were both considered pretty, as was Nyn (though older). Wait til you see how they casted Min. Anyway, the casting is shit, and I fear the show direction will also be shit and pay little respect to what Jordan wrote.

• 9Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 9 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
My understanding of Rand and Mat's attractiveness was that Rand is very tall and his red hair and blue eyes make him stand out and attract looks, and Mat isn't ugly of course but mostly he's very charming, he's basically Han Solo in heroic fantasy.

Anyway I wouldn't worry too much about this show not respecting the intricate details because I really doubt we'll even see a season 2.

• 1Pathetic

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Min should have been played by Ellen Page. Show runner's got no balls.

• 4Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 5 users